Onondaga County Planning Board Minutes - Football Operations Center | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Onondaga County Planning Board Minutes - Football Operations Center

Anyone know if it's possible to get a vile of the dirt they used in Manley circa 1975? That dirt had a unique odor. It was the smell of victory ... since we hardly ever lost a basketball game there from '70 - '79 winning 57 straight at one point.

its silly that they put the local paper put the article behind a paywall

You think that's where the demand's sitting - 5,000 seats and not in the Dome?

I gotta plead ignorance on this one, but I personally really prefer the Dome to most venues for most sports.
With a community aim...yes

They could make it big enough for football too. Much cheaper to host local HS games there.

The center could be rented out on weekends for local teams and colleges for early season lacrosse and late fall football.

For the biggest lacrosse games SU could still play in the Dome.

With a community aim...yes

They could make it big enough for football too. Much cheaper to host local HS games there.

The center could be rented out on weekends for local teams and colleges for early season lacrosse and late fall football.

For the biggest lacrosse games SU could still play in the Dome.

With a little foresight, that Expo Center could've served this kind of purpose...

Anyone know if it's possible to get a vile of the dirt they used in Manley circa 1975? That dirt had a unique odor. It was the smell of victory ... since we hardly ever lost a basketball game there from '70 - '79 winning 57 straight at one point.

Funny, when they renovated Manley during the Marrone era the first thing I said was "this doesn't smell like Manley anymore."

And I was told that the Manley I knew didn't smell like Manley, either, since they removed the dirt floor in 1978. Apparently that was the true Manley smell that I was never around to experience.

33-315bd8cba3.jpg

37-69e31cf716.jpg

I will buy that. I will say though that I believe the soccer teams currently use the IPF as their locker room.

Thinking about it now, I am wondering if this could be a placeholder for a building devoted to soccer? I think their practice field is adjacent to it and it is convenient to the soccer stadium.

Guessing football is not thrilled with them using the IPF as a game day locker room for the home and away soccer teams and the soccer programs could really use a nice set of locker rooms, with some space for storage, meeting rooms, offices and perhaps some training areas.

Looks like Clemson has something like this...

and UNC

and FSU

Interested in hearing more about the field house Gary Gait is apparently working hard to get built for men and women's lacrosse. Where is the world is there space to build that? Up on Skytop?
My firm just recently completed a combined facility for soccer and lax at Yale. Nice little facility. More than I imagine we would ever do, but that is what I was hoping for back in 2013 or so when the IPF was being designed and I mentioned the idea in this thread.

The new footprints on the site plan seem small to me, like they are going to go up with the new stuff so as to leave as much available site as possible for additional construction. That said, my internal scale may be off. I don't think 30k is a particularly large building, but for this it is more than adequate scale (I often design buildings with 30,000 SF floor plates, but they are 8-10 stories high).

Funny, when they renovated Manley during the Marrone era the first thing I said was "this doesn't smell like Manley anymore."

And I was told that the Manley I knew didn't smell like Manley, either, since they removed the dirt floor in 1978. Apparently that was the true Manley smell that I was never around to experience.
I'd like a piece of Manley dirt as well, preferably excavated on February 12, 1985 or earlier.

I'm not sure why there is so much hand wringing in regards to the replacement of currently named spaces when I'm assuming no one here has access to the naming rights agreements. Does anyone even know if the Lampe family made a specific gift to have the athletics complex named, or was it done more as a recognition for his many years of financial support and volunteer service to SU, which was a very common practice?

Additionally, most naming rights agreements include language in them that say that if a building is demolished, the naming rights cease to exist. A lot of times there will be clauses in there that would give first dibs to the donor to name any new building taking its place, but it's understood from the get-go that if you are naming a building, and that building is demolished, your naming rights go with it.

I'm sure the Advancement office at SU will take care of these donors in one way or another, and they will continue to recognize and steward their prior giving, but there's a shelf life on that as well, especially if a donor/family is no longer involved/donating.

This snippet regarding Joe Lampe's giving tells me that it was indeed a naming recognition thing instead of a naming rights deal facilitated by a specific gift:

Over the years Lampe has personally contributed millions of dollars to SU scholarship endowments, such as the Student-Athlete Fund (which he chairs), the College of Law Scholarship Fund, the Our Time Has Come Scholarship Fund for African American and Latino students, the Boeheim Scholarship, and a dozen others, including the Joseph O. Lampe Endowed Scholarship, which is awarded to the captains of the football and men's basketball teams.

If there was a major gift made to specifically name the athletics complex, then you would surely think it would be mentioned:

I'm not sure why there is so much hand wringing in regards to the replacement of currently named spaces when I'm assuming no one here has access to the naming rights agreements. Does anyone even know if the Lampe family made a specific gift to have the athletics complex named, or was it done more as a recognition for his many years of financial support and volunteer service to SU, which was a very common practice?

Additionally, most naming rights agreements include language in them that say that if a building is demolished, the naming rights cease to exist. A lot of times there will be clauses in there that would give first dibs to the donor to name any new building taking its place, but it's understood from the get-go that if you are naming a building, and that building is demolished, your naming rights go with it.

I'm sure the Advancement office at SU will take care of these donors in one way or another, and they will continue to recognize and steward their prior giving, but there's a shelf life on that as well, especially if a donor/family is no longer involved/donating.

There's a distinction to be made - I for one am critical of the propriety of this (especially with Manley), not second-guessing whether SU's honoring its contracts.

In your Lampe hypothetical, that would be in such poor taste. I'm not saying that's what's happening; I don't know.

There's a distinction to be made - I for one am critical of the propriety of this (especially with Manley), not second-guessing whether SU's honoring its contracts.

In your Lampe hypothetical, that would be in such poor taste. I'm not saying that's what's happening; I don't know.

Spaces/Buildings that were named in honor of someone - rather than the result of a major gift specific to the naming - are renamed more often than you think, especially when there is a major fundraising opportunity and a considerable amount of time has passed since the naming. It might not always be the cleanest process, and we don't know what discussions have gone on behind the scenes between the SU Advancement Office and the Lampe family, but it's the nature of the business, especially when there are finite naming opportunities for top-end donors that you are trying to attract.