Onside kick | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Onside kick

I think it was a terrible call. It’s very low % so you only do it when you’re desperate or have the element of surprise. Neither applied.

Not smart. Disconcerting.

Last edited:
In your scenario you assume we stop them on D by kicking deep but give up yardage when not. Why?
I don't know what would have happened. But I know that if we kicked off, they would have needed more than 30 yds to get into fg range. That scenario must have been bouncing around Dino's head, and he chose to gamble anyway.

The onside kick wasn't the right call. Dino decided not to go for two after the first TD and then obviously not the second because there was no reason to after deciding not to on the first. Dino made the initial decision to trust the defense but then flaked on that response and went for the onside kick (which was about as bad an onside kick I've ever seen) to a kick return coverage team that had been expecting it on both of the last kicks.

If we somehow stopped them after the onside kick, it would have given us worse field position than if we stopped them after a normal kickoff. The decision was inconsistent with Dino's other decisions. I hated that call in the situation. Had Dino gone for two both times and missed one of the conversions, I probably would have liked it a little more. It was the wrong choice in the moment and in hindsight.

Absolutely baffling, especially with the way our D was playing & LSU coming off a turnover. Even taking those things out of the equation, it still made no sense. I'm still stunned.

Also for argument purposes they got the ball at the 43.

I am ok with it. It's a different game we are playing. We only lost 20 yards. That's not huge. It's worth the gamble of getting the ball.

Mindset.

Did you not see Ed Orgeron's facial expressions. Did their QB not just throw a pick. If replaced, has Etling not been beaten up all game.

They knew that a mistake ends the game because we'd be in field goal position.

They knew they couldn't give us the ball back because their defense was shot.

Having their own end zone 25 yards behind them is dramatically different than 50 yards, both for their offense and our defense.

I know, you know, that sports are very much a mental game.

Its a bail out, they get the ball on their own 25 all the pressure is on them, them they need two first downs to ice. Give them the ball at the 45 and they a first down away from making it a 5 point game.

We need the ball to score a field goal. Onside kick gives us a chance at the ball.

BS. What percentage of onsides kicks are successful. I don't know either but I'm willing to bet my $100 to your $1 that it is well below 50%.

BS. What percentage of onsides kicks are successful. I don't know either but I'm willing to bet my $100 to your $1 that it is well below 50%.

It is below 50% think it might even be like 10%. But we lost 18 yards of field position for a 10% chance at the ball.

Reactions: FAL
It also makes zero sense philosophy-wise. Clearly he doesn't believe in chasing points until you need to as evidenced by not going for 2 at the end of the 3rd.

Why do you onside kick when it's not necessary then?

Make no mistake, Dino led a very impressive effort tonight which probably should've been a W if we're being honest about it. The intercepted casual pass from Dungey to open the game and Riley TD drop were much bigger than the onside kick but the onside kick still played a part and Dino can't control players making mistakes but he can control that.

I think there was miscommunication on the final kick off, Dino was in Lustigs ear pretty animated after the failed onside kick.
There was i KNOW. DINO DID NOT THAT KICK.

Definitely not arguing for the execution which was awful.

What were the odds of us making a defensive stop and driving the ball down the field close enough to Kick a FG?

That's also way less than 50%

Just puzzling. You play that well with house money, you have to win.

Kicking deep, assuming they don't have a big return, is likely to make them run more plays which gives you more chances to turn them over. If they don't move the ball you are likely to get better field position. Not a good call.

Crazy spin: if we stop them after the onside better chance of the punt going for a touchback

Horrible call. D was playing lights out lost the game. We kick deep they turtle. We win. Lost momentum. Total cluster. Absolutely a horrible call. Guess what. Dino didnt call it. Yep he did not call it. Messed up sideline call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom