Oo my lord 73-87 since Ennis left | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oo my lord 73-87 since Ennis left

Ennis leaving and getting murdered in cold blood by the NCAA happened pretty much at the same time. Not being allowed to recruit hurts.
We lost Ennis after the 2014 season.
We got the penalties from the NCAA in February 2015.
We were allowed to keep our 2015 recruiting class. Malachi, Lydon, Howard.

Our penalties started the next class.
We lost Huerter because we didn’t have a scholarship for him. We got Battle instead. We chose Battle over Huerter.

The NCAA gave us back 4 scholarships from the 12 they initially took.

We had 11 the from 2017-2019. That isn’t why we were medicore.

The sanctions weren’t where we had barely enough players to play.
It’s been poor roster management and player development.

JB typically has 1 or 2 walk-ons on scholarship as a reward and for APR purposes.
The sanctions cost those players scholarships. Also because Buddy was on an AAU team at the time JB could watch his games as a parent and we could get around the one less coach on the road penalty.

Also Hop and JB were with USA basketball during some of those summers leaving GMac and Autry to go to events versus the top dogs from other schools. K could afford to do USA basketball as Duke recruits for itself we don’t. Our coaches have to work for it.

Our problems now are our own fault.

I’ve been frustrated with Syracuse’s mediocrity the last 5 plus years. But to pick and choose games that matter to you in order to make the point isn’t really helpful in my opinion.
What are you talking about
  • It is essentially every game that is not a cupcake conference games and good nonconference games
  • we can’t give credit for games that were supposed to win by double digits and some of these conference games should be considered cupcakes or games you shouldn’t get credit for winning
  • your take is terrible

Seems fine nothing to see here. The program is fine nothing wrong. Trending in the correct direction.

What do you mean all games matter

are you saying that this isn’t the most accurate depiction of a measuring stick more so than our overall record

The games excluded from this number and would say 20 % of them are against quality opponents maybe 20%
Dude. It was a (very) cute ‘BLM’ joke, not a criticism of the OP‘s criteria or premise.

• It is essentially every game that is not a cupcake conference games and good nonconference games
  • we can’t give credit for games that were supposed to win by double digits and some of these conference games should be considered cupcakes or games you shouldn’t get credit for winning
  • your cake is terrible

9B3604AF-AFCD-4D28-AB72-B6BFE33FD1FD.jpeg

We lost Huerter because we didn’t have a scholarship for him. We got Battle instead. We chose Battle over Huerter.

JB typically has 1 or 2 walk-ons on scholarship as a reward and for APR purposes.
The sanctions cost those players scholarships. Also because Buddy was on an AAU team at the time JB could watch his games as a parent and we could get around the one less coach on the road penalty.

Also Hop and JB were with USA basketball during some of those summers leaving GMac and Autry to go to events versus the top dogs from other schools. K could afford to do USA basketball as Duke recruits for itself we don’t. Our coaches have to work for it.

Your post is so dead on again, as it has been the case with all of your posts relative to sanctions, and how it truly impacted us, etc. The only thing I would add here relative to this post is all of our misses on many of those top/higher ranked targets we weren't able to land. That, along with what you alluded to in poor roster management & development no doubt was the proximate cause of our new normal of mediocrity.

Our problems are due to poor recruiting. Some of that is talent evaluation. Some of that is prioritization (USA basketball, going all-in on some guys), and some of that is recruiting restrictions. The hit to recruiting goes beyond scholarship reductions; they were just a piece of the sanctions.

The staff is not without blame. But if you want to point to the one thing that cost us the most wins over that timeframe, I don’t see how it’s not the sanctions. Then, of course, there’s the debate of if/how much the sanctions were our fault.

I would settle for an entertaining style of basketball to watch at this point.
We’ve gotten that the last 2 years. At least offensively. Just not consistent overall and looks a lot worse when the threes don’t go in. The defense has been the issue the last 2, although against pitt the o was horrendous. Not bad... horrendous.

My posts are getting this shield bar at the top and not posting for several minutes later. I'm curious as to why, but it started yesterday after a post of mine was deleted. Either and odd coincidence, or perhaps, my posts are being monitored/censored prior to actually posting?

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 110
Our problems are due to poor recruiting. Some of that is talent evaluation.
Like pursuing Howard Washington over Tremont Waters.
Before Kadary, these are the guards that have been signed, Girard, Goodine, Jalen Carey, Buddy, HW, Geno Thorpe (transfer) Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, Kaleb Joseph.

Lots of misses with fewer hits.

I didnt include Hughes and Gbinije since they split time at guard etc.

Our problems are due to poor recruiting. Some of that is talent evaluation. Some of that is prioritization (USA basketball, going all-in on some guys), and some of that is recruiting restrictions. The hit to recruiting goes beyond scholarship reductions; they were just a piece of the sanctions.

The staff is not without blame. But if you want to point to the one thing that cost us the most wins over that timeframe, I don’t see how it’s not the sanctions. Then, of course, there’s the debate of if/how much the sanctions were our fault.
Also, IMO, the recruiting playing field tilted about that time with shoe money coming in to multiple teams. We couldn’t partake because we were afraid to get caught and get a death penalty. So the gap between us and our competitors widened both because we were held back by sanctions and because our competitors accelerated their efforts with shoe money.

Before Kadary, these are the guards that have been signed, Girard, Goodine, Jalen Carey, Buddy, HW, Geno Thorpe (transfer) Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, Kaleb Joseph.

I’ll Never believe we prioritized HoWash over Waters. We didn’t. We wanted Waters but he wanted a bag and we couldn’t do that because of the sanctions and risk of death penalty. In the pre sanction, pre shoe money explosion days, we did bags as well as anyone other than the true blue bloods.

My posts are getting this shield bar at the top and not posting for several minutes later. I'm curious as to why, but it started yesterday after a post of mine was deleted. Either and odd coincidence, or perhaps, my posts are being monitored/censored prior to actually posting?
I think that means there is a word (or words) in your post the filter doesn't like.

I’ll Never believe we prioritized HoWash over Waters. We didn’t. We wanted Waters but he wanted a bag and we couldn’t do that because of the sanctions and risk of death penalty. In the pre sanction, pre shoe money explosion days, we did bags as well as anyone other than the true blue bloods.

Imagine if Weitsman was around during the pre-sanction days. We probably would’ve ended up with Anthony Davis and Nerlens Noel.

We didn’t pursue Howard Washington over Waters. Waters was a top recruit. Washington was an afterthought we added because we needed a warm body.

We didn’t want Monte Morris, Jalen Brunson or other guys we have missed on.
Our issues are the result of our mistakes in recruiting and players coming here who aren’t fits or developing.

Lousiville, a school that hasn’t been penalized yet beyond the vacated wins, has exactly what to do with this?
Obviously comparing how other programs with issues in a similar level not a blue blood but next level up succeed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom