Oshae Brissett-player comparison | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett-player comparison

How do you not mention Bagel Lipshitz or Bialy Garfinkle? Both just as good as the others.
I'm kicking myself forgetting Bagel Lipshitz.

Bialy Garfinkle is a bit of a reach, IMHO. Even for you.

I'd like to see Brissett run the baseline play to the other wing to receive a catch-shoot play like Rautins used to do. I think Brissett is fast enough and good enough shooter to run that play.

Yes, but basketball is still basketball. I'm not talking the 60's and early 70's when Maravich, Murphy and Mount were averaging over 40 points a game as 20 year old college kids with no 3 pt line. Name me one small forward who has averaged over nine rebounds a game in the last 40 years.

Carmelo Anthony.

Brissett is an outstanding rebounder... but the 2-3 zone doesn't really differentiate much between a 3-4 on the d boards anyway. So it does help a "3" get more rebounds in that respect.

Last edited:
Ok, we all love CJ. I respect your opinion and CJ was a great player and had a great career at Syracuse. However Brissett is putting numbers up across the board that no previous Orangemen has over their first nine games at small forward. Even Billy Owens only averaged six boards a game his freshmen year and he was 30 lbs heavier and more of a PF (and considered one of the top two recruits in the country).

Once again ... Carmelo Anthony

Once again ... Carmelo Anthony
Ok, that's my fault. Good call out. Obviously I wasn't including the greatest player ever to wear Orange as a comparison and neither was anyone else who responded to this post. Just for comparison, Melo averaged ten boards a game over his first nine games in Orange. Offensively, no comparison, although Melo took a ton more shots than Oshae has.

Ok, that's my fault. Good call out. Obviously I wasn't including the greatest player ever to wear Orange as a comparison and neither was anyone else who responded to this post. Just for comparison, Melo averaged ten boards a game over his first nine games in Orange. Offensively, no comparison, although Melo took a ton more shots than Oshae has.

I realized you were not trying to compare Oshae to Melo.

Oops, I mistook it as sarcasm about CJ. CJ Fair was everywhere. Blackwell had some productive seasons but even as an upperclassmen his stats don't rival what Brissett has done so far. Now, I'm not saying that Brissett's nine game career is going to project out with the same numbers vs the ACC, but what I see is that each game he is getting smarter and the team is getting smarter in getting him the opportunities. None of the guys mentioned (CJ, JW, Owens, Blackwell, Alexis) went to the foul line as often as Brissett has or had as many rebounds until maybe their junior or senior seasons, if that. It's unprecedented what he has done very quietly so far.

There numbers are actually quite similar, oshaes maybe are slightly better. I wasnt saying hes a clone though. Just a comparison. Both big bodied forwards with good handle and good rebounding.

Btw- blackwells best season stat wise for cuse was his first.

So I did go back 40 years but does that make it a bad comparison.

I don't know, i never saw Maxwell play (maybe in some Celtics highlights from the 80's). That was more my point - you started a really interesting thread, and then threw out an obscure comparison (for someone under 50 years old).

My memory of Syracuse basketball goes to about 1987. I am not sure who a good comparison point would be. Coleman, Warrick and Grant were more pure fours - leapers without a slashing game. Guys like Nichols and Johnson were pure 3s. They were really shooters. Donte Green was a more pure offensive player, but didn't attack the glass like Oshae. Wallace was more of a post up threat. Roberts was completely limited offensively. Rick didn't have the athleticism and was a pure post. My vague recollection of Blackwell was more of a point forward type, with a nice jumper (kind of a poor mans' Carmelo). Melo is in a class of his own. I don't remember Addison.

That's how i ended up with Fair and maybe Owens.

I don't know, i never saw Maxwell play (maybe in some Celtics highlights from the 80's). That was more my point - you started a really interesting thread, and then threw out an obscure comparison (for someone under 50 years old).
I know. I had a real difficult time finding a more recent comparison using anyone's first nine games (or their freshman season) as a guide. Thaddeus Young and Tim Thomas are pretty good comparisons but Young, who only played one season at Georgia Tech, only averaged 4.9 rpg and 2.3 ft attempts per game, both far less than Brissett. Tim Thomas, who only played one season at Nova, averaged 6 rpg and 4.8 ft attempts. Brissett, through 9 games, is at 9.2 rpg and 5.3 ft attempts per game.

Eddie Griffin, who was a bigger player more like a Donte Greene, had a great freshman year in his one season at Seton Hall, scored more points and had more rebounds but still only went to the line 3.6 times per game.

Carmelo went to line 6.8 times in his one season here and Hak averaged 5.3 that same season. What is interesting is that Hak really jumped up his next two seasons (8.0 and 9.1). Hak had 310 free throws his last season at the Cuse which ranks 31st as most ever in NCAA history. Which looking at the list, brings another name of someone who could be a comparison to Brissett, and that would be Lou Roe from the great UMass teams.
Free Throw Attempts Single Season Leaders and Records | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

We don't have the fast break game, but maybe James Worthy?

Before we start comparing him to Billy Owens, Derrick Coleman, Carmelo Anthony and Wes Johnson, can we wait until his field goal percentage is over 40%?

This is utterly ridiculous.

his advanced stats on pomeroy compare very well with freshman year paul harris

Wendell is one of my all time favorite Orangemen. I think Oshae has a much higher upside.
wendell alexis was 6'9 220. inside / outside threat. got bigger and better every year .
I was 2 feet away from Alexis at the Garden on Tuesday. He looks fit enough to play today. The salt-and-pepper hair gives him away, though. :)

I don't know about stats but his offensive game reminds of TJ Warren. Just the way he moves in the lane at that size. Midrange game. They both like to drive and roll to the basket, can finish on either side, often twist and turning through traffic with their length. Quick second jump. And the right hand leaner when driving left. Neither are great at the three.

Before we start comparing him to Billy Owens, Derrick Coleman, Carmelo Anthony and Wes Johnson, can we wait until his field goal percentage is over 40%?

He's played 9 games. 9! I think we all know how the rest of his college career is going to play out.

:rolleyes:

Oshae is a really interesting player when you break down his stats. He is in the extreme ranges for rebounding (on the good side), drawing fouls (on the good side) and shooting (FG and 3P, on the bad side).

It is amazing how poor he FG percentage is, given his skill set. He needs to make better decisions on when to shoot the ball.

There are surely players like him that have played on other teams but I know of no SU player who he closely resembles.

Last edited:
Oshea is a really interesting player when you break down his stats. He is in the extreme ranges for rebounding (on the good side), drawing fouls (on the good side) and shooting (FG and 3P, on the bad side).

It is amazing how poor he FG percentage is, given his skill set. He needs to make better decisions on when to shoot the ball.

There are surely players like him that have played on other teams but I know of no SU player who he closely resembles.

I agree 100%

Oshea is a really interesting player when you break down his stats. He is in the extreme ranges for rebounding (on the good side), drawing fouls (on the good side) and shooting (FG and 3P, on the bad side).

I'm not sure his FG% from a 9-game sample is indicative of anything. His stroke looks good, even on the deep balls, and he certainly is skilled and athletic enough to finish around the basket. Keep in mind he was thrust into the role of second or third scoring option from game one. He was more efficient and selective offensively against Colgate, so that was encouraging. Let's see what happens as the season unfolds.

I'm not sure his FG% from a 9-game sample is indicative of anything. His stroke look good, even on the deep balls, and he certainly is skilled and athletic enough to finish around the basket. He was more efficient and selective offensively against Colgate, so that was encouraging. Let's see what happens as the season unfolds.

I think Brissetts athleticism is what separates him from Moyer so far this season, it keeps him on the court and allows him to be useful on the court when he's not shooting particularly well. But having a nice stroke doesn't automatically mean you're going to start shooting well, I've seen plenty of guys come through here and they never became good shooters even with a good stroke and have seen guys who've had poor strokes be excellent shooters.

As Tomcat said time will tell and we're only 9 games in, Brissett will be an asset even if his shooting doesn't improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom