Oshae Brissett-player comparison | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett-player comparison

I think Brissetts athleticism is what separates him from Moyer so far this season, it keeps him on the court and allows him to be useful on the court when he's not shooting particularly well. But having a nice stroke doesn't automatically mean you're going to start shooting well, I've seen plenty of guys come through here and they never became good shooters even with a good stroke and have seen guys who've had poor strokes be excellent shooters.

As Tomcat said time will tell and we're only 9 games in, Brissett will be an asset even if his shooting doesn't improve.

Your last sentence is why I love his game. I think his shooting will improve, but even still, he still somehow manages to get things done where he's still helping the team.

I think Brissetts athleticism is what separates him from Moyer so far this season, it keeps him on the court and allows him to be useful on the court when he's not shooting particularly well. But having a nice stroke doesn't automatically mean you're going to start shooting well, I've seen plenty of guys come through here and they never became good shooters even with a good stroke and have seen guys who've had poor strokes be excellent shooters.

As Tomcat said time will tell and we're only 9 games in, Brissett will be an asset even if his shooting doesn't improve.
What really separates Brissett from Moyer is that he has a scorer's mentality. That ability is sorely lacking on this year's team. He won't be coming off the court this season unless he gets in serious early foul trouble.

The odd thing is what do you root for. Brissett with poor shooting has still been exceptionally valuable. Brissett knocking down a lot of Js would be even better and absolutely help this group ... but it could also lead to Brissett getting some NBA buzz. I guess either way knocking down a few more shots is a good thing.

The odd thing is what do you root for. Brissett with poor shooting has still been exceptionally valuable. Brissett knocking down a lot of Js would be even better and absolutely help this group ... but it could also lead to Brissett getting some NBA buzz. I guess either way knocking down a few more shots is a good thing.

I hope all these guys do well enough to get drafted. While it stinks they leave, if we can get a lottery pick type year out of him that means we'll be pretty damn good.

This is a very deep draft, I'm not even convinced Battle is a first round pick right now.

I'm not sure his FG% from a 9-game sample is indicative of anything. His stroke looks good, even on the deep balls, and he certainly is skilled and athletic enough to finish around the basket. Keep in mind he was thrust into the role of second or third scoring option from game one. He was more efficient and selective offensively against Colgate, so that was encouraging. Let's see what happens as the season unfolds.
That was his first game where he shot over 45.5% on his FG attempts. Any statistics course will tell you that 8 consecutive games below 50% is significant. Performance usually gets worse as the competition gets better and a lot of freshmen run into a wall late in the season where they get worn down and struggle.

Put all that together and I think it is likely he is going to have a FG % around 35% this season.

No question he is capable of doing more and I think he will. But I don't see great improvement happening this year.

I hope all these guys do well enough to get drafted. While it stinks they leave, if we can get a lottery pick type year out of him that means we'll be pretty damn good.

This is a very deep draft, I'm not even convinced Battle is a first round pick right now.

Agreed. I want thinking more of the jeremi grant thing where a team likes his athleticism and takes him in the second round with some guaranteed money. But yeah, if somehow he’s a lottery pick then everybody wins.

That was his first game where he shot over 45.5% on his FG attempts. Any statistics course will tell you that 8 consecutive games below 50% is significant. Performance usually gets worse as the competition gets better and a lot of freshmen run into a wall late in the season where they get worn down and struggle.

Put all that together and I think it is likely he is going to have a FG % around 35% this season.

No question he is capable of doing more and I think he will. But I don't see great improvement happening this year.
I think he'll finish the season comfortably over 40%. He was at 31% after seven games, shot 12-25 in his last two games and is now at 35% for the year. The best is yet to come.

I think he'll finish the season comfortably over 40%. He was at 31% after seven games, shot 12-25 in his last two games and is now at 35% for the year. The best is yet to come.
I concur.

I kind of think the freshman wall is a bit of a myth. Battle, Malachi and Lydon all played better at the end of the year than the beginning. Malachi was shooting about 25% from 3 in the non conference season and Lydon refused to shoot at times. Battle didn’t produce until February last year.

I love his game although his outside shooting and perimeter defense is still work in progress. Yesterday was a good sign in which it was the first game that he shot over 50%. Plus what I like a lot is that he has gone to the foul line at least five times a game in the last six games. So I think he and the team is definitely figuring out that basically most times he has the ball that he is a offensive mismatch on the floor.

So I have now watched him in nine games as an Orangeman. He is averaging 13.6 ppg (plus over 16 in the last five) and he is averaging 9.2 rpg. Plus he is shooting 73% from the FT line (and 79% in the last five games). I, like many others, think he has an unbelievable upside.

So, I couldn't come up with any past Syracuse player to compare him to so I broadened my search. It brought me to Cornbread Maxwell. 6'8, 205 lbs. Oshae is listed at 6'8 and 210.

Cornbread as a freshman at Charlotte averaged 9.1 and 6.2 rpg. His senior season, he averaged 22.3 and 12.1 rpg. And his third year as a Celtic, he was averaging 16.9 ppg and 8.8 rpg.

So I am not saying that Oshae is going to have a great 12 year NBA career but based on Maxwell's freshman year's stats, anything could be possible.

Thoughts???

OShae Brissett Game Logs, Syracuse, NCAA Stats, Events Stats, Bests, Awards - RealGM

Cedric Maxwell College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Cedric Maxwell Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

What bout Ryan Blackwell? Sure he wasn't a freshman but if your looking at styles they are similar right now.

I kind of think the freshman wall is a bit of a myth. Battle, Malachi and Lydon all played better at the end of the year than the beginning. Malachi was shooting about 25% from 3 in the non conference season and Lydon refused to shoot at times. Battle didn’t produce until February last year.
What you say is true, but there are a lot more players who struggle to finish their freshman seasons and most players perform worse in conference play than in the out of conference games.

If Oshae can keep his performance where it is now, he will have had a terrific frosh season. Even with the bad shooting numbers.

We will find out in March who is right. I would love to be the one who is wrong.

Last edited:
Bigger version of Justin Jackson from Unc?...slashers with great rebounding instincts and improving jumper

Would be wonderful if this ends up being the case. I love me some Brissett, but he's simply nowhere near the scorer right now that Jackson was, even as a freshman. Obviously it's really early in the season still, but as a freshman, Jackson shot 67% at the rim and 50% on mid-range jumpers. Brissett is at 47% and 31% respectively.

Recent wings that shot about as poorly at the rim as Brissett currently is (just to be clear once again, I love Brissett and fully expect these numbers to improve a lot):

Trevor Cooney (every year)
Junior Michael Gbinije (before improving a lot his senior year)

That's it. Everyone else was roughly 10% better.

That's how i ended up with Fair and maybe Owens.
Look at CJ's stats. Now we all love CJ, but over his career, he didn't go to the FT line as much or as good a rebounder.

Right now, I would kind of compare him to sophomore year Hakim Warrick. Warrick averaged 14.8 pts and 8.5 rebounds that championship year. He had the bouncy rebounding ability of Brissett and their athleticism is similar, although Warrick had incredible reach. Warrick never really shot the 3 - which is probably what Boeheim is telling Brissett right now - focus on getting inside and doing your damage there. So that's probably my best comp.

What you say is true, but there are a lot more players who struggle to finish their freshman seasons and most players perform worse in conference play than in the out of conference games.

If Oshae can keep his performance where it is now, he will have had a terrific frosh season. Even with the bad shooting numbers.

We will find out in March who is right.
the best single predictor of three point shooting is ft shooting. oshae's ft% indicates that he'll be a solid 3 pt shooter at some point . . . but I recall that it took sharpshooters james southerland & demetris nichols quite a while to develop that skill.

my concern is his 2 pt pct. it is shockingly low. he's even below 50% for shots at the rim. i'm hoping that as the game slows down for him then his finishing will get better. in the meantime, i'd like to see him take fewer jumpers overall - 3s and 2s. just get to the rim and get to the line.

the best single predictor of three point shooting is ft shooting. oshae's ft% indicates that he'll be a solid 3 pt shooter at some point . . . but I recall that it took sharpshooters james southerland & demetris nichols quite a while to develop that skill.

my concern is his 2 pt pct. it is shockingly low. he's even below 50% for shots at the rim. i'm hoping that as the game slows down for him then his finishing will get better. in the meantime, i'd like to see him take fewer jumpers overall - 3s and 2s. just get to the rim and get to the line.

That's because most of his "at the rim" attempts are after driving thru traffic, and throwing up something off the backboard and hoping for the best.
He doesn't have a lot of true layups or dunks made, to offset the lower % of those other shots he's been taking - most of which are heavily contested and fairly high degree of difficulty.

he began the season strong on offensive rebound putbacks - he had 11 through 6 games. he has exactly one over the last three. md had 6 through the first 6 games and zero since.

the forwards - especially oshae - need to go inside out

I want to say Marcus Liberty (yeah, old school), but Liberty was a smoother player.

It’s funny, but when I read this thread I was thinking “he reminds me of a guy who would’ve played for Illinois in the 80’s-90’s”, but I didn’t have a specific player in mind.

Would be wonderful if this ends up being the case. I love me some Brissett, but he's simply nowhere near the scorer right now that Jackson was, even as a freshman. Obviously it's really early in the season still, but as a freshman, Jackson shot 67% at the rim and 50% on mid-range jumpers. Brissett is at 47% and 31% respectively.

Recent wings that shot about as poorly at the rim as Brissett currently is (just to be clear once again, I love Brissett and fully expect these numbers to improve a lot):

I actually really like the Justin Jackson comparison because they have similar physical profiles and similar approaches on offense. Both have tremendous motors and are always moving. I think they are probably similar shooters (Jackson actually didn't come into college as a good shooter, hitting 30%, and then 29% from 3 his first 2 seasons. The biggest difference is that Jackson was a bit more polished as a scorer and ball-handler, while Brissett is more athletic and a much better rebounder.

I love his game although his outside shooting and perimeter defense is still work in progress. Yesterday was a good sign in which it was the first game that he shot over 50%. Plus what I like a lot is that he has gone to the foul line at least five times a game in the last six games. So I think he and the team is definitely figuring out that basically most times he has the ball that he is a offensive mismatch on the floor.

So I have now watched him in nine games as an Orangeman. He is averaging 13.6 ppg (plus over 16 in the last five) and he is averaging 9.2 rpg. Plus he is shooting 73% from the FT line (and 79% in the last five games). I, like many others, think he has an unbelievable upside.

So, I couldn't come up with any past Syracuse player to compare him to so I broadened my search. It brought me to Cornbread Maxwell. 6'8, 205 lbs. Oshae is listed at 6'8 and 210.

Cornbread as a freshman at Charlotte averaged 9.1 and 6.2 rpg. His senior season, he averaged 22.3 and 12.1 rpg. And his third year as a Celtic, he was averaging 16.9 ppg and 8.8 rpg.

So I am not saying that Oshae is going to have a great 12 year NBA career but based on Maxwell's freshman year's stats, anything could be possible.

Thoughts???

OShae Brissett Game Logs, Syracuse, NCAA Stats, Events Stats, Bests, Awards - RealGM

Cedric Maxwell College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Cedric Maxwell Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

He is Chris McCullough without the hype. I think he continues under the national radar while having as good a Frosh year as Chris, and I'm hoping that keeps him Orange for one more year. But I think he is a draftable prospect when this year is complete.

And Jason Hart (who I loved) shot about 5% at the rim.

I think he continues under the national radar while having as good a Frosh year as Chris,
I would never say anything bad intentionally about any of the Syracuse kids but I'm not sure CMac's one season could be called "good". Looking back at his game log, and I really don't see this happening with Oshae, is that in CMac's one abbreviated season, he actually regressed instead of becoming more of a focal point. He played 16 games, and in the last eight, he never scored higher than seven points in a game. Call me crazy, but I really see Oshae becoming more comfortable on the offensive end and his teammates becoming more comfortable in getting him the ball where he can put it in the basket. I'm not a psychic but I see Oshae averaging at least 15-16 ppg during ACC play.
Chris McCullough 2014-15 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

He is Chris McCullough without the hype. I think he continues under the national radar while having as good a Frosh year as Chris, and I'm hoping that keeps him Orange for one more year. But I think he is a draftable prospect when this year is complete.

McCullough shot almost 50% from the field.

McCullough shot almost 50% from the field.
He played 16 games. His last eight games he shot 9 for 34. Thats only 26% and he was still a first round draft pick.

No one sees a little young John Wallace? Actually a bit ahead offensively as a freshman but similar build and skill set, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom