Oshae Brissett-player comparison | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett-player comparison

So his other games didn't count?
Of course they counted. So maybe I should have said, yes, McCullough shot 47.8% for the year and in his last eight games before his injury, he only shot 26%. However, the Nets saw enough of his potential to draft him in the first round.

Hopefully Brissett has a much more fulfilling Syracuse career than CMac's injury shortened season.

I would never say anything bad intentionally about any of the Syracuse kids but I'm not sure CMac's one season could be called "good". Looking back at his game log, and I really don't see this happening with Oshae, is that in CMac's one abbreviated season, he actually regressed instead of becoming more of a focal point. He played 16 games, and in the last eight, he never scored higher than seven points in a game. Call me crazy, but I really see Oshae becoming more comfortable on the offensive end and his teammates becoming more comfortable in getting him the ball where he can put it in the basket. I'm not a psychic but I see Oshae averaging at least 15-16 ppg during ACC play.
Chris McCullough 2014-15 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Fair enough, but I think you are under rating Chris. He was most definitely an impact freshman, that's what I mean by good. I think in an incomplete season he showed he was worth the high expectations. He was the best player on the floor at MSG in those November games, and his upside was undeniable. I think their games are very similar, so he was the first one who came to my mind. Good movement to get open on the offensive end, can hit the mid range, play some inside out, and rebounds at a high rate. I agree with your projections of OB, and I think Chris was on his way there too.

His game is more like a young Ron Artest
Good call, especially on the rebounding.
Watching him play, his movements remind me of Paul Pierce at KU. But of course The Truth was a much better all-around offensive player, whereas I'd give the edge to OB in rebounding. If he ever gets himself a reliable jumper, he'll be virtually unguardable.

Last edited:
Trust me when I say that I am not saying that Brissett is going to Everybody's All-American. But, as I said earlier in this thread, I think Oshae is feeling more comfortable on the court and is going to have a nice second half of the season. That being said, it still doesn't explain his stats lines today. Fortunately he hit some threes and a ton of boards. Good luck in the future Oshae.

He is the most complete forward we have had in a very long time. His game is unlike any other SU players. I see Billy Owens as being the closest comparison.

Jerami Grant

Grant. Spin move and all

How about a taller Dave Johnson?

Yeah -- it has to be a grant or a dave johnson type with that absolutely explosive, quick-twitch athleticism. You're never going to get an identical match but his energy and just overwhelming athleticism around the rim reminds me a lot of Grant.

Yeah -- it has to be a grant or a dave johnson type with that absolutely explosive, quick-twitch athleticism. You're never going to get an identical match but his energy and just overwhelming athleticism around the rim reminds me a lot of Grant.

Those would be the closest, I agree. Closer in height to Grant, but he plays on the perimeter a lot more which is why I said Johnson.

Brissett will be one of the great stars we’ll unrealistically compare recruits to

The kid is a beast can do it all. Can ball, hit the glass, get to the rim, shoot, defend. The scary part is that he will get better as he gets older and stronger. Love his game

Brissett will be one of the great stars we’ll unrealistically compare recruits to

And we are bringing in a more talented player next year.

Let’s see if it translates on the court for Baz.

And we are bringing in a more talented player next year.

Let’s see if it translates on the court for Baz.
Brissett reminds me of the Johnsons (Dave and Wes) and, somewhat less, Jeremy Grant. He’s taller than DJ but not as strong, and he’s not as long as Grant but surprisingly is on Grant’s level as a shot-blocker. OB’s also a live athlete (like Grant), although he’s a better rebounder than Grant was as a freshman or sophomore. Wes Johnson’s another comparison. OB’s nowhere near as good an outside shooter (yet), but he’s younger (Wes transferred then sat out a year). He also has Wes’ hops and might be better at this stage off the bounce. Lots to like, for sure, and the comparisons to some of SU’s greats are likely to continue as he gets stronger.

I don’t want Oshae’s jump shot to get TOO good. We need him to bookend with Baze next year, giving us one of the most talented forward tandems in college hoops. We can fantasize about TB staying (probably won’t happen). But even if he jumps, our back court immediately gets elite depth with Hughes and Buddy coming in, and senior FH with Jalen Carey behind him.

Last edited:
Brissett reminds me of the Johnsons (Dave and Wes) and, somewhat less, Jeremy Grant. He’s taller than DJ but not as strong, and he’s not as long as Grant but surprisingly is on Grant’s level as a shot-blocker. OB’s also a live athlete (like Grant), although he’s a better rebounder than Grant was as a freshman or sophomore. Wes Johnson’s another comparison. OB’s nowhere near as good an outside shooter (yet), but he’s younger (Wes transferred then sat out a year). He also has Wes’ hops and might be better at this stage off the bounce. Lots to like, for sure, and the comparisons to some of SU’s greats are likely to continue as he gets stronger.

I don’t want Oshae’s jump shot to get TOO good. We need him to bookend with Baze next year, giving us one of the most talented forward tandems in college hoops. We can fantasize about TB staying (probably won’t happen). But even if he jumps, our back court immediately gets elite depth with Hughes and Buddy coming in, and senior FH with Jalen Carey behind him.

Only thing I disagree with is the TB fantasy. A fantasy is something you can think of: the idea of TB being back is more fallacy. LOL. I mean, if he comes back, something bad would have to happen and I REALLY don't want to think of that scenario.

Only thing I disagree with is the TB fantasy. A fantasy is something you can think of: the idea of TB being back is more fallacy. LOL. I mean, if he comes back, something bad would have to happen and I REALLY don't want to think of that scenario.
“Fantasy” ... “The faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable”. ;)

Jesting aside, the important thing is that even without Tyus, we’re going to be loaded.

“Fantasy” ... “The faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable”. ;)

Jesting aside, the important thing is that even without Tyus, we’re going to be loaded.

If OB and MD come back, yes, we are loaded.

Good call, especially on the rebounding.
Watching him play, his movements remind me of Paul Pierce at KU. But of course The Truth was a much better all-around offensive player, whereas I'd give the edge to OB in rebounding. If he ever gets himself a reliable jumper, he'll be virtually unguardable.
If he is even close to Ron Artest, we will be lucky. Loved that guy in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom