Oshae Brissett | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett

Rebounding will be a big concern if TT is forced to play the 5. Oshae, Marek, and Moyer are really skinny!
Last I saw, after his body transformation (which probably isn't finished), Matt was listed at 225 pounds. Marek and Oshae have been listed at 200 pounds.

Matt will actually be the heaviest (and strongest) PF Syracuse has had in years.

These are all weights from cuse.com:

Last year, Tyler Lydon was 223, Taurean Thompson was 225 and Tyler Roberson was listed at 226.

Chris McCullough was listed at 220 when he was at Syracuse.

I bet Matt is stronger and heavier than all these guys by the start of the season. No question rebounding, especially defensive rebounding, is a concern. Matt is our best bet to address it and if he proves a strong rebounder and plays good defense, he is going to get a lot of playing time, even if he turns out to be TRob II on offense. I don't expect that to happen though. Matt is too aggressive and smart to struggle on offense really badly.

It would be great if the other guys could get to 210 or so by the start of the season. Their raw athletic ability will help overcome their lack of bulk but they are going to get their butts handed to them a lot underneath once we get into conference play.

Last I saw, after his body transformation (which probably isn't finished), Matt was listed at 225 pounds. Marek and Oshae have been listed at 200 pounds.

Matt will actually be the heaviest (and strongest) PF Syracuse has had in years.

These are all weights from cuse.com:

Last year, Tyler Lydon was 223, Taurean Thompson was 225 and Tyler Roberson was listed at 226.

Chris McCullough was listed at 220 when he was at Syracuse.

I bet Matt is stronger and heavier than all these guys by the start of the season. No question rebounding, especially defensive rebounding, is a concern. Matt is our best bet to address it and if he proves a strong rebounder and plays good defense, he is going to get a lot of playing time, even if he turns out to be TRob II on offense. I don't expect that to happen though. Matt is too aggressive and smart to struggle on offense really badly.

It would be great if the other guys could get to 210 or so by the start of the season. Their raw athletic ability will help overcome their lack of bulk but they are going to get their butts handed to them a lot underneath once we get into conference play.
Brissett, Marek and Moyer all seem willing and eager to mix it Up inside. Sometimes it is impossible to get a kid to be aggressive. These guys, although lean, have the instincts of good rebounders.

Brissett, Marek and Moyer all seem willing and eager to mix it Up inside. Sometimes it is impossible to get a kid to be aggressive. These guys, although lean, have the instincts of good rebounders.
Agree. None are finesse types and all are very good athletes.

It bodes well for the future.

Why do we keep saying all or nothing when we signed Howard Washington and Geno Thorpe ?? We always have other options.

Good point. My comments were not intended as a slight at those guys at all but we blew off top options and told QG that he was our guy. I happen to like the guys we wound up with quite a bit.

Rebounding will be a big concern if TT is forced to play the 5. Oshae, Marek, and Moyer are really skinny!

rebounding has nothing to do with being skinny or not. how skinny was DC as a freshman when he was pulling down 19 boards? rebounding is all about an attitude and a drive. you either have it or you dont.

rebounding has nothing to do with being skinny or not. how skinny was DC as a freshman when he was pulling down 19 boards? rebounding is all about an attitude and a drive. you either have it or you dont.
Good post. It is also about vision and a sense of timing. Great rebounders can watch a shot at release and have an innate sense of where the ball will be. It is like a great baseball player getting a jump on a ball coming off the bat.

Not sure why some are pigeon holing Brissett as a 4, or comparing to J. Grant. Grant is probably more athletic but I think Brissett is much more advanced at the offensive end already.
It is hard to compare him to anybody that we have had before, because he is a bit unknown. But, he seems to be improving very quickly from the first videos that we have seen of him to the most recent. Initially he seemed like an athletic but undersized power forward with limited skills. Now, he looks like an athletic combo forward with a nice looking outside shot and decent all around game.

Players have innate rebounding skills, but if the school apparently doesn't value it, then they aren't going to
excel at it. I mean, where has SU ranked as far as rebounding for the last N years? I will go back a
few years to a glaring example of SU not valuing (caring) about rebounding.

Three years ago, in that 3rd game against Pitt when it seemed like a win-and-in game, SU had gotten to
within a single possession with seconds to go, and they fouled a Pitt player. SU had four guys in the lane
to get the miss. Well, he missed, and the Pitt player, that's O-N-E guy, contested the rebound so much that
he was the one who knocked it out of bounds.

You want to tell me SU values rebounding? They don't. That doesn't mean SU can't get good/great rebounders,
but there is no way that the staff focuses time and effort on it. Jamie Wright's teams, they valued the ball and
went after it. Not so with SU.

That said, every year/game, I hold out hope that SU will become a good rebounding team, and they have
size/athletes to be one; we'll find out.

Kev

Players have innate rebounding skills, but if the school apparently doesn't value it, then they aren't going to
excel at it. I mean, where has SU ranked as far as rebounding for the last N years? I will go back a

Three years ago, in that 3rd game against Pitt when it seemed like a win-and-in game, SU had gotten to
within a single possession with seconds to go, and they fouled a Pitt player. SU had four guys in the lane
to get the miss. Well, he missed, and the Pitt player, that's O-N-E guy, contested the rebound so much that

You want to tell me SU values rebounding? They don't. That doesn't mean SU can't get good/great rebounders,
but there is no way that the staff focuses time and effort on it. Jamie Wright's teams, they valued the ball and

That said, every year/game, I hold out hope that SU will become a good rebounding team, and they have

Kev

whos jaime wright?

Kev
A very under rated play in that game. If we get the rebound, G gets the ball and not Cooney. And they couldn't stop G. One more thing about Jaime Dixon teams, they couldn't win in March. Ever.

Kev
That very same offensive rebounding mindset (on the free throw line) cost Pitt an NCAA win vs Butler a few years ago.

As to the play you reference--it seemed like the SU players (at least some of them) thought it was 2 shots at the line, not a 1-and-1, and did not react to the Pitt miss.

:):):)

exactly who i was thinking about ...

but in all honestly, SU just doesn't rebound. i think the fan base resigns itself to "if they can keep it close
on the glass, they have a chance to win". it helps to get a weakside guy who wants the ball, but he also
needs to be quick enough to go and get it from almost the 3 pt line. they gotta find some way to do it, cuz
even with the size they've run out there recently, and yes, i know Gillon was not the usual guy, they don't
do it. unfortunately, the C's responsibility in the zone takes him away from the rim, and enough rotation
gets the wings out of the way so they can't do it. grrrr.

kev

Last edited:
It is hard to compare him to anybody that we have had before, because he is a bit unknown. But, he seems to be improving very quickly from the first videos that we have seen of him to the most recent. Initially he seemed like an athletic but undersized power forward with limited skills. Now, he looks like an athletic combo forward with a nice looking outside shot and decent all around game.
What I like best about him is his aggressiveness to the basket. He seems confident and unafraid and not afraid to fail as me gets in the paint. That killer attitude with athleticism is Cuse ball

:):):)

exactly who i was thinking about ...

but in all honestly, SU just doesn't rebound. i think the fan base resigns itself to "if they can keep it close
on the glass, they have a chance to win". it helps to get a weakside guy who wants the ball, but he also
needs to be quick enough to go and get it from almost the 3 pt line. they gotta find some way to do it, cuz
even with the size they've run out there recently, and yes, i know Gillon was not the usual guy, they don't
do it. unfortunately, the C's responsibility in the zone takes him away from the rim, and enough rotation
gets the wings out of the way so they can't do it. grrrr.

kev
I think you make a good point. The 2003 team was a good rebounding one, Melo averaged 10 and Hakim was solid too. How many others have we had since then? Maybe 2010 and/or 2012. I'm not sure without looking at the numbers. Regardless, other programs have a reputation for it and it's not just because they recruit all of the best rebounders or that they don't play zone.

Kev
I think this is wrongheaded. Syracuse struggles on the defensive boards because of the zone, but we have been in the top quartile of offensive rebounding percentage for as long as Ken Pomeroy has been keeping the statistic - often in the top decile (9 of 16 seasons) and sometimes in the top 10 (2x). We're always a good offensive rebounding team, and sometimes even a great one.
Defensively, you certainly have a point. Boeheim has clearly made the decision that the additional possessions that a good zone gets him via steals and other turnovers are more valuable than selling out for defensive rebounds. I think that history has shown that most years he is correct in that valuation, but when you have a bad defensive team like last year the combination is ugly.

I think this is wrongheaded. Syracuse struggles on the defensive boards because of the zone, but we have been in the top quartile of offensive rebounding percentage for as long as Ken Pomeroy has been keeping the statistic - often in the top decile (9 of 16 seasons) and sometimes in the top 10 (2x). We're always a good offensive rebounding team, and sometimes even a great one.
Defensively, you certainly have a point. Boeheim has clearly made the decision that the additional possessions that a good zone gets him via steals and other turnovers are more valuable than selling out for defensive rebounds. I think that history has shown that most years he is correct in that valuation, but when you have a bad defensive team like last year the combination is ugly.
And on top of it, not a good enough shooting team to make up for the bad defense (93'd in FG percentage), creating lots of missed shots we couldn't rebound.
2016-17 Syracuse Orange Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
I think 2003 was the last time we were above average rebounding. I remember multiple games in 2012 even where we were absolutely destroyed on the glass yet made up for it in other areas until we met the referees and Sullinger in the Elite 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom