Oshae is just off | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae is just off

Its our fault as fans for letting a player who is this sloppy finishing inside think he has any shot at making the NBA as an early entry.

He sealed hiim off a couple of times when he got the opportunities and it was game over.
When you're trying to teach a seven year old about positioning, it's more fun when you're rewinding Syracuse instead of ODU

Excellent year? He couldn't finish last year either.

Flirted with the NBA? Who said that? That is laughable.

He hasn't regressed, he's the same player.

This. He hasn't really regressed; the idea that this is the biggest sophomore slump ever is laughable.

Freshman year (per 40 minutes):
15.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 35.4% FG%, 33.1% 3PT%, 78.7% FT%, 46.6% at the rim

Sophomore year (per 40 minutes):
18.3 points, 10.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 37.3% FG%, 28.9% 3PT%, 68.9% FT%, 54.2% at the rim

Literally the only two areas that he has not improved upon are 3PT% and FT%. People are simply misremembering his freshman year.

This. He hasn't really regressed; the idea that this is the biggest sophomore slump ever is laughable.

15.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 35.4% FG%, 33.1% 3PT%, 78.7% FT%, 46.6% at the rim

18.3 points, 10.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 37.3% FG%, 28.9% 3PT%, 68.9% FT%, 54.2% at the rim

Literally the only two areas that he has not improved upon are 3PT% and FT%. People are simply misremembering his freshman year.

Brissett was overrated last year because of his counting stats, which were a function of playing entire games and volume. The * was that efficiency would improve with more scoring threats on the floor and an offseason to get a bit stronger to finish more effectively through contact.

So far, it has not happened, at least not with any level of consistency.

I feel like we're making OB into something he isn't, similar to Kris Joseph. There was so much talk of Joseph being a lottery pick or leaving early, but at the end of the day, he was a 4-year program player who ended up overseas. I see a similar path for Oshae, which is totally fine.

Except in today's college basketball, he's not a 4-year guy. He leaves after two and either gets picked at the back end of the draft or goes undrafted. Toils in the G-League a couple years and then heads overseas.

Except in today's college basketball, he's not a 4-year guy. He leaves after two and either gets picked at the back end of the draft or goes undrafted. Toils in the G-League a couple years and then heads overseas.

For what it's worth, DraftExpress updated their rankings last week and had him 79th (with Battle 49th), so Brissett isn't even really on the bubble to be drafted at all right now.

Exactly. And I’m not wrong. I spent a lot of time around the program from the devendorf years up until Dion left. Those guys made commitments to their teammates and program and stayed in Syracuse most of the summer to work out with each other and get away from distractions. I saw Dion everyday in the melo center the summer before his huge sophomore year. Where were the leaders on this team all summer? In Cali. In Vegas. Anywhere but Syracuse. They’re all working on their individual games and Syracuse is just a stage for them to audition for the next level. Those guys should have been in Syracuse all summer working with the rest of the team. Instead our top 3 guys were all off doing their own thing.
Couldn’t have said it better

For what it's worth, DraftExpress updated their rankings last week and had him 79th (with Battle 49th), so Brissett isn't even really on the bubble to be drafted at all right now.
Is it possible that these guys are reading these projections as the season has progressed, and the rankings are in their heads? Specifically, Brissett? The consensus coming into this season was that he’s a lock to the NBA after this year - the more his stock plummets in these projections, the more he’s panicking and losing focus.

Its our fault as fans for letting a player who is this sloppy finishing inside think he has any shot at making the NBA as an early entry.
Then I guess we as fans owe Brissett a collective apology for deceiving him and screwing up his chances for an NBA career.

Then I guess we as fans owe Brissett a collective apology for deceiving him and screwing up his chances for an NBA career.

Don't worry. I'll issue an apology on behalf of the board. Oshae and I meet regularly so I can provide feedback.

Don't worry. I'll issue an apology on behalf of the board. Oshae and I meet regularly so I can provide feedback.
That's awesome. Ask him if he can provide any insight about what goes on in practice. I've always been curious about that. Also, ask him for the lowdown on Frank's health, and whether he is ever going to be the same player we saw last season.

one thing this comparison doesn't show - how much he's getting to the FT line - I'd have to think his FT attempts per 40 for this year is down from last year

one thing this comparison doesn't show - how much he's getting to the FT line - I'd have to think his FT attempts per 40 for this year is down from last year

He is actually averaging more free throw attempts per 40 but shooting it at a worse percentage from the line. Last year, he averaged 6.3 free throw attempts and 4.9 free throw makes per 40 minutes, shooting 79%. This year, he's averaging 7.5 free throw attempts and 5.2 free throw makes per 40 minutes, shooting 69% from the line. So he's getting to the free throw line more than last year, but is not capitalizing on it.

He is actually averaging more free throw attempts per 40 but shooting it at a worse percentage from the line. Last year, he averaged 6.3 free throw attempts and 4.9 free throw makes per 40 minutes, shooting 79%. This year, he's averaging 7.5 free throw attempts and 5.2 free throw makes per 40 minutes, shooting 69% from the line. So he's getting to the free throw line more than last year, but is not capitalizing on it.
Interesting. Sure seems like he's not getting to the line as much. But yeah, his ft % obv has to go up

bit of a soph slump agreed . but he has the tools and size to be weapon going forward.

Nope. It's actually up from 6.3 per 40 to 7.5 per 40 this year. He's taking it to the rim a higher percentage of the time this year than he did as a freshman. Shots at the rim made up 35.6% of his shots last year versus 46.8% so far this year. He's drawing fouls at an identical rate to last year as well; he just hasn't been nearly as efficient at the line or from 3 point range, and his FG% at the rim, while improved, is still poor.

Nope. It's actually up from 6.3 per 40 to 7.5 per 40 this year. He's taking it to the rim a higher percentage of the time this year than he did as a freshman. Shots at the rim made up 35.6% of his shots last year versus 46.8% so far this year. He's drawing fouls at an identical rate to last year as well; he just hasn't been nearly as efficient at the line or from 3 point range, and his FG% at the rim, while improved, is still poor.
His 3-point shooting percentage improved to almost 38% in conference play last season. Here's hoping for a repeat of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom