Oshae is just off | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae is just off

He’s playing with one foot out the door. Lots of individual agendas going on in that locker room.m
I don't think you're necessarily wrong... what's crazy about that, though, is how dudes can have that attitude and play that way and not realize how it actually hurts the very thing (showing nba teams what they've got) they think they're doing

Someone got mad at me for posting it last weekend, but the athleticism of our team is WAY overstated by many of our fans.

OB is not THAT athletic by high D-1 power program standards. He’s a fine athlete. Nothing special or anything. Carey is our only guy whose athleticism pops off the screen at times.

Flynn, Wes, Grant, Waiters, Fab Melo, Warrick, Dave Johnson, Damone Brown, CJ Fair, Stevie Thompson...those are the kinds of guys I think of when I think of “athletic” Syracuse players.
This team, like many Syracuse teams, is not athletic. They’re long but they aren’t quick and aren’t physical. Having a starting PG that is so unathletic and now crippled by a tough leg injury does not play at this level. Centers that can’t get off the floor or bang inside are right there too.

Talking up our size is also overrated. Having 7 footers that weigh 200 lbs or less is not advantageous. Having so many skinny, weak, underathletic players does not help.

I don't think you're necessarily wrong... what's crazy about that, though, is how dudes can have that attitude and play that way and not realize how it actually hurts the very thing (showing nba teams what they've got) they think they're doing

Exactly. And I’m not wrong. I spent a lot of time around the program from the devendorf years up until Dion left. Those guys made commitments to their teammates and program and stayed in Syracuse most of the summer to work out with each other and get away from distractions. I saw Dion everyday in the melo center the summer before his huge sophomore year. Where were the leaders on this team all summer? In Cali. In Vegas. Anywhere but Syracuse. They’re all working on their individual games and Syracuse is just a stage for them to audition for the next level. Those guys should have been in Syracuse all summer working with the rest of the team. Instead our top 3 guys were all off doing their own thing.

Exactly. You look at how few assists this team has and you wonder, do they actually ever watch NBA basketball?

He's not very good at rebounding?

But he can’t finish off a rebound. He has no spring in his jump. He’s very limited unless he’s playing smaller players.

Exactly. And I’m not wrong. I spent a lot of time around the program from the devendorf years up until Dion left. Those guys made commitments to their teammates and program and stayed in Syracuse most of the summer to work out with each other and get away from distractions. I saw Dion everyday in the melo center the summer before his huge sophomore year. Where were the leaders on this team all summer? In Cali. In Vegas. Anywhere but Syracuse. They’re all working on their individual games and Syracuse is just a stage for them to audition for the next level. Those guys should have been in Syracuse all summer working with the rest of the team. Instead our top 3 guys were all off doing their own thing.

I think you hit it on the head. Something very wrong and it’s the me first vs team first mentality. It looks like they have barely played together. A lot of this in what they focused on this summer. Also some of this on what apparently has been emphasized since practice has begun. Shocked at the lack of improvement across the board.

Cuse!

He did not improve his body in the off season and is more reluctant to drive into the lane.

He is playing like a player afraid to get hurt.
I don't see anyone with an improved body. What is our program?

If I'm an NBA GM, I don't give OB a second look. I just don't see NBA skills or potential. IMO, this is a kid that should make sure he gets his degree. Good body but not great, nothing close to an NBA jump shot, no real physicality or high level ball handling or passing. It really makes me wonder why so many seem to think he is a draft pick. He may be interested in the NBA but is the NBA interested in him? I'm not so sure the answer is 'yes'.

I disagree with a lot of what's been said here. I don't think the issues we're seeing are a lack of talent, or even athleticism.

When I watch this team I see a complete lack of confidence. A lack of belief in themselves and each other. And a lack of joy in the game. It seems to me the problem is in their heads. Our starters can play, and each of them have shown that at various times in the last two seasons. They seem to have forgotten that, and they all are playing like they're afraid. Our opponents can smell it.

Now, as to the why? I'm not close enough to any of them to diagnose that, but the coaches should be.

If I'm an NBA GM, I don't give OB a second look. I just don't see NBA skills or potential. IMO, this is a kid that should make sure he gets his degree. Good body but not great, nothing close to an NBA jump shot, no real physicality or high level ball handling or passing. It really makes me wonder why so many seem to think he is a draft pick. He may be interested in the NBA but is the NBA interested in him? I'm not so sure the answer is 'yes'.
He is not really good at any one thing. Rebounding is his best attribute.

Wonder the same with Marek working with our S&C people too.

SU has no S&C program. The stunning lack of development physically should cost people their jobs. Have Edinger consult the basketball team or something smh.

I wonder how he’d look if we didn’t have useless bodies clogging up the lane at the 5 spot. I’m guessing ALOT better.

The problem is people around here see a unranked, athletic, tall for his position player who hits some threes in a highlight video then decide he's been jobbed in the rankings and start to see things they want to see and then start to say dumb things like NBA when there is zero evidence of it being possible.

Maybe all these unranked guys aren't diamonds in the rough like we hear about from the "experts" around here.

Wouldn't surprise me if he's playing through some type of injury that is going to require off-season surgery or something.

Terrence Roberts-esque situation...

It's the only explanation that would.make any sense of his obvious regression in form... Not fighting or finishing well in the paint cause he's hurting...

Wouldn't surprise me if he's playing through some type of injury that is going to require off-season surgery or something.

Terrence Roberts-esque situation...

It's the only explanation that would.make any sense of his obvious regression in form... Not fighting or finishing well in the paint cause he's hurting...

He didn't last year either though.

Fight or finish well.

His finishing in the paint got better as season went on and, moreover, he got fouled a lot and put on the line.

He's not getting those fouls and FT's anymore since he's stopped driving in the paint with any consistency. That is hurting us.

I feel like we're making OB into something he isn't, similar to Kris Joseph. There was so much talk of Joseph being a lottery pick or leaving early, but at the end of the day, he was a 4-year program player who ended up overseas. I see a similar path for Oshae, which is totally fine.

We only have 1 player this year, Tyus, who attacks the basket with any type of efficiency. We make feint dribbles toward the basket, don’t get penetration nor aggressively attack, then resort to just passing it horizontally around the perimeter for a 3. We lack any real physicality in the paint. Our power forward, Oshae, doesn’t play with any power. Our centers are stick thin, playing with their hands down on both offense & defense. Hughes is a guard playing forward , Marek is a small forward who doesn’t look for his offense, who is playing center more than half the time on the court. With no one willing or able to post up inside and hold position, we lack any inside-outside game to make defenses work hard to cover us. This year we don’t have an elite defense to save us enough to overcome our weaknesses offensively and on the boards. The best teams are better than the sum of their individual parts, this team is lacking that crucial intangible to date.

This post is spot-on and tells the exact same story the stats tell - especially the part about our D not being as good as last year and our 4 playing like a 2.

What I don't have is Hughes' impact on the D relative to Moyer and MD.

Amazing how much better your powers of observation are compared to the vast majority on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom