Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

I'm afraid the only feedback from NBA evaluation will be "Listen, son, your a nice kid and can play some ball, but just not in the NBA......like, ever. You could make some OK coin on the other side the world, however, if you're willing to do the whole ex-pat thing."

At which point his dreams will be shattered and he should leave college because it won't make him better and he'd just be giving up a year of earnings. I'm usually selfish and want the players to return, but this time I think it is best to move on. The roster is a logjam with 5 guards, 5.5 forwards and 3.5 centers (I count Marek and JBA as swing guys, but pigeon-holed into the center role for next year) and OB staying just stunts the development of Big Bad Bobby Braswell and Quincy.

Last edited:
he won't get drafted, and he may know that, but i still don't think he is coming back.
if he's not in Syracuse, then he's not going to classes and he would get an incomplete for this semester and not be eligible. I think him being gone is a foregone conclusion. It will also hurt our APR but we should be in good shape with that even with OB's incomplete.

if he's not in Syracuse, then he's not going to classes and he would get an incomplete for this semester and not be eligible. I think him being gone is a foregone conclusion. It will also hurt our APR but we should be in good shape with that even with OB's incomplete.

This is very speculative. Finals are only 3 weeks away, so he's probably going to come back to do those. He can keep up with homework online, and in-person quizzes are rare these days. He can probably afford to miss some too and have a fine GPA.

This is very speculative. Finals are only 3 weeks away, so he's probably going to come back to do those. He can keep up with homework online, and in-person quizzes are rare these days. He can probably afford to miss some too and have a fine GPA.
this is true. I've heard OB is a pretty good student too.

some people really get off bashing our own players.

Agreed. I'm fine with people critiquing and criticizing players to a large extent b/c it is what it is -- we're not professional evaluators but we're also on a message board. So fine. But the snarky or overt shots at kids is bizarre. Not sure to what end that makes sense and usually they are way off base.

In this case, for example, Oshae is a kid who wants to play at the next level. In the NBA, no team made fewer than roughly 1/3 of their field goals from three (Phoenix was technically under 1/3 but at 32.9%). So, obviously most kids who want to play at that level, need to be able to shoot.

Secondly, Oshae clearly needs to work on his shooting. He scaled way back on threes the last 17 or 18 games (like 2 attempted per game vs. 4.4 in the first 17 games) and he didn't make a lot of them (27% in conference, I believe). So it's clearly an area he needs to develop.

Third, it's not like Oshae 'can't' shoot. He made 38% on his 85 attempts in conference play a year ago. So, while it's a small sample, the kid is capable of making that shot.

Fourth, there's some evidence that we may be looking at an offense that is largely based around the three. . Goodine, JGIII and Guerrier are all guys who are going to shoot from there coming in this year to join Buddy and Hughes, both of whom are going to shoot a ton from three, Brissett and Marek, who can both make that shot and will take some of them (assuming OB is back) and Howard Washington and Braswell, who we haven't seen a lot in games and may not see a ton, but both can and will shoot from three. The only guy on the current roster who won't is Sidibe and the jury is out to a degree on Edwards and JBA, but my guess is both of those guys could end up shooting from there occasionally as well.

Bottom line, kids toay are going to shoot, so if you have major problems with kids working on that part of your game, you can rant and rave but you're wasting your breath.

Say what you will, but I haven’t stopped bashing Louie McCroskey, Dayshawn Wright and Mark Konecny since they were active players.
Gave you a like because that's hilarious.

he won't get drafted, and he may know that, but i still don't think he is coming back.
This is the first year in a long time that I have zero interest in whether a player decides to test the waters or return. In some ways we might be a better team without brissy.

What? I thought it was only in Chapel Hill where you didn't actually have to go to classes??

What? I thought it was only in Chapel Hill where you didn't actually have to go to classes??

I think they had to go to class; the class just consisted of writing your name on a couple pieces of paper. If you spelled it correctly, you got an A. Incorrectly, and you got an A-.

That’s just absurd

It's not that absurd. He's a good rebounder but average, at best, at almost everything else so far. He hasn't played with a true distributor and that might help his game a lot, but he's been an inefficient volume shooter for his career and his defense still needs work. I'd love to see him come back and have the year we've all been waiting for, but I also wouldn't feel much sense of loss if he leaves.

I'm not saying we'll be better without him. We'll likely have a very inexperienced player filling his role, or at least getting big minutes there, and there are never any guarantees with that. It is, however, in the realm of possibility that the team could be better without Oshae.

It's not that absurd. He's a good rebounder but average, at best, at almost everything else so far. He hasn't played with a true distributor and that might help his game a lot, but he's been an inefficient volume shooter for his career and his defense still needs work. I'd love to see him come back and have the year we've all been waiting for, but I also wouldn't feel much sense of loss if he leaves.

I'm not saying we'll be better without him. We'll likely have a very inexperienced player filling his role, or at least getting big minutes there, and there are never any guarantees with that. It is, however, in the realm of possibility that the team could be better without Oshae.

Very doubtful. If not absurd, the bordering on it. If Quincy is that good, he will play regardless.

You just sort of nailed why that realm of possibility cannot exist frankly. But alas it doesn’t much matter...

Very doubtful. If not absurd, the bordering on it. If Quincy is that good, he will play regardless.

OBs biggest issue is he’s had to learn to play basketball ON THE COURT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom