Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

4C420880-446E-400B-8876-1DD8085025E7.png

I for one want Oshae back. We have no front court players who are above average rebounders. It is going to be our biggest weakness. Losing our best rebounder would not be good.

Does the puzzled reference mean he doesn't know what to do? Or that he is confused by the lack of love from the SU fan base? What does everyone think?

I for one want Oshae back. We have no front court players who are above average rebounders. It is going to be our biggest weakness. Losing our best rebounder would not be good.

Does the puzzled reference mean he doesn't know what to do? Or that he is confused by the lack of love from the SU fan base? What does everyone think?

I think the former.

Of course they would. Nobody is saying they shouldn’t. I just think his impact is grossly overstated on offense - he’s just too inefficient and is a poor mans black hole.

This is an outrageously bad post.

Sorry the guy was great as a freshman and raised your expectations unrealistically high he was still rough around the edges. I'm sure even he will cop to not being as good as he should have been last year. But this dude has single handedly won us tournament games.

Hes also the only guy who is going to be 'big' for his position on the team next year. If hes not on the floor we are undersized and SU isn't a team that is undersized we aren't exactly Loyola Chicago/Maryland/Marymount I'd rather not go there.

I'd love to see what he looks like after a good offseason vs the one he had last summer.

OB will have a great season next year if he comes back...he should.

the big thing with him is decision-making - not driving into 2 or 3 players, not jacking off-balance/bad threes, etc...but he's got all the tools...he even started getting that interior passing down towards the end of last year...which could be a big weapon for him/the team

I think he needs to play "free"...its a hard line to walk for a player who needs to make adjustments to his approach...i felt a lot of times last year that his mistakes and misses were caused by cognitive dissonance on the court about what he should be doing...he's just gotta play free...BUT also make better decisions...it's a fine line.

needless to say he likely "brissles" under the constraints of an offense...but as the focal point...which he would likely be given the chance to be next year he could really take off, imo.

Insanity is gripping this board. First we have the Clarke recruiting thread where some posters are critical of us trying to recruit a five star. I guess all five stars are pre-determined to go to Duke or Kentucky.

Now, many posters do not care if Oshae comes back. He is our best rebounder. He would be the only player on our roster next season that would have a chance to be drafted. He would be the favorite to be our best player. I am as high on Bras as anybody else, but to say he would step in and replace Oshae's numbers is highly unlikely. Even if he could, there would be limited depth at PF. Do we really want big PF minutes to go to Marek, who despite his intangibles, is a limited scorer and rebounder ?

Yes, Oshae has some warts, but as a poster above said, I agree and would like to see what he could do with a strong off-season.

I think it is within the realm of possibility that we will have a better team next year, even without Oshae if he leaves. It's more likely to be in spite of Oshae leaving than because of it.

Last edited:
The team would take him back in a second...
Yup. They also understand next year is an NBA audition - no different than Tyus this year.

He’d get more latitude.

A Syracuse fan would. It's part of our psychosis

Not sure why that was posted in response to me. I think he's just confused about what to do next, not worried about the fanbase.

Insanity is gripping this board. First we have the Clarke recruiting thread where some posters are critical of us trying to recruit a five star. I guess all five stars are pre-determined to go to Duke or Kentucky.

Now, many posters do not care if Oshae comes back. He is our best rebounder. He would be the only player on our roster next season that would have a chance to be drafted. He would be the favorite to be our best player. I am as high on Bras as anybody else, but to say he would step in and replace Oshae's numbers is highly unlikely. Even if he could, there would be limited depth at PF. Do we really want big PF minutes to go to Marek, who despite his intangibles, is a limited scorer and rebounder ?

Yes, Oshae has some warts, but as a poster above said, I agree and would like to see what he could do with a strong off-season.

He is not the only player on the roster with the potential to be drafted next year. Eli is the better offensive player and has a skill set the NBA can use. He's slightly undersized for SF and needs to come up with a better handle, but he shoots well and has plenty of athleticism. Oshae is not big enough nor athletic enough to play PF in the NBA. He'd be a SF with a sketchy jumpshot, being generous. NBA scouts can find more skilled players who can rebound well just about anywhere.

Guerrier and Goodine have the advantage (in terms of getting drafted) of youth. If Guerrier goes for 10 and 6 (points, rebounds) on efficient shooting, he's instantly a better NBA prospect in scouts' eyes than a Junior dropping 16 and 8 on mediocre shooting, or even good shooting.

Nobody is saying either is anywhere close to being a lock, but it wouldn't take a herculean effort for them to make the jump. We've seen it before. PT would be the limiting factor.

Teams don't play SF/PF much anymore. You usually get two SFs or a SG playing SF with a traditional SF playing "PF". IF (IF, IF, IF) Guerrier is good, the team would be more than fine playing him and Eli together.

I don't really agree with the first two sentences and my answer to the latter question would be a resounding yes. Even if Oshae comes back, I'd like to see Dolezaj play more minutes. Unfortunately it seems like Dolezaj may be forced to play a lot of C next year so it might be a moot point, but if our centers play well enough that we can play Dolezaj at PF, that would be a great thing IMO.

Having said that, Oshae's rebounding would certainly be missed; he was arguably the only player that you ever saw actually try to box out last season, though even with him it was sporadic. I pretty much hate what he's shown offensively through two years though; granted he could potentially improve and make that take look foolish, but he's been incredibly inefficient both as a scorer and a creator.

Edit: I should say, you may be right that he's the only one that has a chance of being drafted next season if he's on the team, but I think we have more talented prospects waiting in the wings if he decides to leave.

He is not the only player on the roster with the potential to be drafted next year. Eli is the better offensive player and has a skill set the NBA can use. He's slightly undersized for SF and needs to come up with a better handle, but he shoots well and has plenty of athleticism. Oshae is not big enough nor athletic enough to play PF in the NBA. He'd be a SF with a sketchy jumpshot, being generous. NBA scouts can find more skilled players who can rebound well just about anywhere.

Guerrier and Goodine have the advantage (in terms of getting drafted) of youth. If Guerrier goes for 10 and 6 (points, rebounds) on efficient shooting, he's instantly a better NBA prospect in scouts' eyes than a Junior dropping 16 and 8 on mediocre shooting, or even good shooting.

Nobody is saying either is anywhere close to being a lock, but it wouldn't take a herculean effort for them to make the jump. We've seen it before. PT would be the limiting factor.

Teams don't play SF/PF much anymore. You usually get two SFs or a SG playing SF with a traditional SF playing "PF". IF (IF, IF, IF) Guerrier is good, the team would be more than fine playing him and Eli together.

i luv eli, but he lacks sufficient athleticism for an nba 2g or sf. he is also older. imho, he will not get drafted. if he was draftable it would have happened this season.

it is too early to say if qg or bg will be draftable, but i cannot see it happening for either after one season.

oshae needs to make a jump to be draftable, but if he comes back he will be given every opportunity to be the star and to make thst jump.

bottom line, when we arent getting top 50 recruits, we will not have many one and dones.

I don't really agree with the first two sentences and my answer to the latter question would be a resounding yes. Even if Oshae comes back, I'd like to see Dolezaj play more minutes. Unfortunately it seems like Dolezaj may be forced to play a lot of C next year so it might be a moot point, but if our centers play well enough that we can play Dolezaj at PF, that would be a great thing IMO.

Having said that, Oshae's rebounding would certainly be missed; he was arguably the only player that you ever saw actually try to box out last season, though even with him it was sporadic. I pretty much hate what he's shown offensively through two years though; granted he could potentially improve and make that take look foolish, but he's been incredibly inefficient both as a scorer and a creator.

Edit: I should say, you may be right that he's the only one that has a chance of being drafted next season if he's on the team, but I think we have more talented prospects waiting in the wings if he decides to leave.

we cannot have two of three frontcourt players not providing scoring and rebounding numbers. the only way we can live w marek getting big pf minutes is if we get a big positive surprise at center.

i luv eli, but he lacks sufficient athleticism for an nba 2g or sf. he is also older. imho, he will not get drafted. if he was draftable it would have happened this season.

it is too early to say if qg or bg will be draftable, but i cannot see it happening for either after one season.

oshae needs to make a jump to be draftable, but if he comes back he will be given every opportunity to be the star and to make thst jump.

bottom line, when we arent getting top 50 recruits, we will not have many one and dones.

Eli is more athletic than Oshae and shoots 3's well. Oshae is 2 inches taller and they're the same age. Eli's handle is limited but better than Oshae's.

It's height and rebounding (Oshae) vs. athleticism and shooting (Eli). The NBA has been favoring Eli type players moreso than Brissett types.

Brissett needs to come back and show he can hit 3's (without killing the team).

Say what you will, but I haven’t stopped bashing Louie McCroskey, Dayshawn Wright and Mark Konecny since they were active players.

Cooney for me

Now, many posters do not care if Oshae comes back. He is our best rebounder. He would be the only player on our roster next season that would have a chance to be drafted. He would be the favorite to be our best player. I am as high on Bras as anybody else, but to say he would step in and replace Oshae's numbers is highly unlikely. ...

You're completely omitting Guerrier, who has appears to have a better all around game than Brissett and is likely going to eat into his minutes next year. He's already stronger, and he gets to the basket better. He goes through people at the rim instead of trying to slip around them to score.

Guerrier, as the Mr. Inside; Eli Hughes as Mr. Outside; Marek as the Glue Guy and Braswell as the spare minutes guy who can hit a 3 and has some athleticism - the Development Guy.

We have 3 centers not counting Marek, although they are all either pencil thin or coming off injury. If Brissett is back, I think his minutes are going to shrink. Can we get him to stop taking bad threes? He is our best returning rebounder, no question. We really need that, but the rest of his game is not as good as some of the other guys at that position.

Brissett needs to come back and show he can hit 3's (without killing the team).

No, I think that if he comes back, he needs to show that he has better judgment on when to shoot, and he has to finish much better at the rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom