Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah

Why do you always make it about me. I don't care about me. I would have been disappointed in Melo Waiters or Flynn if they came back. I never knew that about Marv but he's on the MT Rushmore of broadcasters so it worked out. I know nothing about tennis. As for baseball I don't know who you are referring to but plenty of guys who get drafted right out of hs fail and how many guys do you see who get drafted like in the 60th rd out of hs decide to go to college and become a first or second round pick.
Because wanting these guys who you don't know to come back to school is 100% about what is in your best interest, not theirs. It really is that simple. If a kid leaves school to pursue any other field, you and everyone else, doesn't care a bit. This is 100% selfish about what is best for your entertainment. Nothing wrong with that really. But let's be honest. If a close friend of yours said, I can leave school right now and make 1 million dollars. Really set my life up. Or I can come back. Maybe I can get better and move up in the draft. But that is also rare. How much did coming back to school help Wallace's drat status? And no one could come back and do much more than he did. What would you tell that close friend? Come back to school? Why? Why should kids like Tyler and Mali come back? other than to make your life (and mine too) more enjoyable for the winter months? It's not to get better. Going to the G league allows them to practice with coaches for more hours without that pesky having to actually go to school. And probably with much better coaches to help get him better. It's a win in every area except playing for good old Syracuse.

AAAA is right. It's well covered territory, but its kind of wild how few SU guys became NBA stars, given how successful the program has been.

Looking at Basketball Reference, the top six guys in terms of NBA games played: Melo, Schayes, Bing, DC, Sherm, Seikaly. Makes sense, all had good/great careers.

#7-#15?... Wes Johnson, Billy Owens, Louis Orr, Hakim Warrick, Jerami Grant, Dion Waiters, Etan Thomas, John Wallace, Rafeal Addison.

Woof.

Well, IF Jerami stays healthy, he could end up ahead of DC.

But yeah - we could really use another noteworthy NBA guy, in addition to him, to have a nice, long career.
Waiters Island is too hit or miss, so he's unlikely to move up too much.
And... for now, that's it.

Jason Hart doesn't have more games played than Dion?
Hmmm. I thought he hung around the league for a pretty long time.

Because wanting these guys who you don't know to come back to school is 100% about what is in your best interest, not theirs. It really is that simple. If a kid leaves school to pursue any other field, you and everyone else, doesn't care a bit. This is 100% selfish about what is best for your entertainment. Nothing wrong with that really. But let's be honest. If a close friend of yours said, I can leave school right now and make 1 million dollars. Really set my life up. Or I can come back. Maybe I can get better and move up in the draft. But that is also rare. How much did coming back to school help Wallace's drat status? And no one could come back and do much more than he did. What would you tell that close friend? Come back to school? Why? Why should kids like Tyler and Mali come back? other than to make your life (and mine too) more enjoyable for the winter months? It's not to get better. Going to the G league allows them to practice with coaches for more hours without that pesky having to actually go to school. And probably with much better coaches to help get him better. It's a win in every area except playing for good old Syracuse.

Wallace went to a FF, made 15 mil in a different era, and can probably get a nice check from opening any car dealership in town because of that run. But he's a local kid so a little different.

Some of these kids are mature and ready, others aren't. The people who have no clue on that are us.

Largely unsaid here is anything about the purpose of college major sports.

It sure has little to do with college acaden=mics.
It's fair to say that for most accomplished players these days the object is to play pro ball.
Why stand in their way?

The NBA should be open to anyone age 18 with a high school degree.
That would drastically reduce one and dones and the number of big stars in college ball.
But why stand in their way?

Major college basketball is now a big time business.
The players - the guys who bring in the revenue - should be given a choice to be paid or get an education.
And perhaps schools should be able to serve as development clubs for major league teams here and abroad.

Well, IF Jerami stays healthy, he could end up ahead of DC.

But yeah - we could really use another noteworthy NBA guy, in addition to him, to have a nice, long career.
Waiters Island is too hit or miss, so he's unlikely to move up too much.
And... for now, that's it.

Jason Hart doesn't have more games played than Dion?
Hmmm. I thought he hung around the league for a pretty long time.
Hart is #17... 341 games over 9 seasons. He hung around, but he only played 50+ games four years. Other 5 was just scraps.

If my friend was a big time prospect I would want them to do what's best for them whether that's leaving early or going back to.school. The problem that a lot of these kids have is there so called friends dont really care about them they are leaches that are using them to try to score for themselves. Guys do get better by coming back. Not everyone but it happens.

1. Why do you assume these players can't improve their weaknesses?
2-5: I agree with you, fully.

I don't assume that they can't improve their weaknesses. Some may, some may not.

However, there are other risks by staying longer.

(1) a career ending injury during a college game, or even not career ending, may be perceived as "damaged goods" or "injury prone".
(2) coach wants that player to do something other than improving his weaknesses for the benefit of the team, such as playing out of position or drive more shoot less or play exclusively zone.
(3) even if staying longer and working to improve, the improvements may not be significant enough to out do the fact that the player is going to be a year older and thus have less "upside" to be seen by NBA scouts. The NBA are drafting players on potential and upside. So if an NBA team drafted Tyler Ennis hoping/betting that he might turn into a Jason Kidd one day, if Ennis had come back for year two, the same NBA team might say "yes he is shooting 3% better but I can see how he is not Jason Kidd" and he drops to round 2.

Finally, why can't the same player improve all his weaknesses by playing in the NBA or G-league?

If my friend was a big time prospect I would want them to do what's best for them whether that's leaving early or going back to.school. The problem that a lot of these kids have is there so called friends dont really care about them they are leaches that are using them to try to score for themselves. Guys do get better by coming back. Not everyone but it happens.
make the case for a kid that will be drafted to come back. i think Q and griff would be crazy not to come back for what it is worth. I don't think at this point they are G league caliber. But the other guys we were talking about, yeah, they were right to leave.

Top recruits going to college.
Agreed on that. That’ll happen if/when the NBA changes the draft age regardless.

I was going to push back if you meant that college hoops is over, because that’s a take people like to throw out on twitter. If anything it is likely to help the college game with more player continuity

Agreed on that. That’ll happen if/when the NBA changes the draft age regardless.

I was going to push back if you meant that college hoops is over, because that’s a take people like to throw out on twitter. If anything it is likely to help the college game with more player continuity

why would the Nbapa agree to do that if he nba is going to pay kids via the g league?

why would the Nbapa agree to do that if he nba is going to pay kids via the g league?

I hate it, but I think the golden age of college basketball is over. The G-League will eventually attract most of the top recruits each year. Without the star power, college basketball will become more of a niche sport in terms of national interest.

I hate it, but I think the golden age of college basketball is over. The G-League will eventually attract most of the top recruits each year. Without the star power, college basketball will become more of a niche sport in terms of national interest.
Disagree. basketball has always evolved, thrived, and survived. New players are always going to emerge. The UK/Duke OAD types will now go straight to the G-league, while college teams will still attract very good players looking to showcase themselves, get an education, and looking to play professionally.
We tend to forget that there are basketball leagues all over the world, not just the NBA, where players can make a very good living doing what they love.
I think the G-League Thrive situation will only make college bball stronger, since we can go back to watching kids develop over a number of years while our fav team get better.

It's on a case to case basis. Some guys should leave others need more work.
And you think they can get that work better at a college rather than working it 24/7, no college, playing more games and more practice time. Practice time that is limited by some fake organization called the NCAA? Just so that we are clear. That is your opinion. That a big guy is better served working with G-mac or griff or Red instead of an actual big guy that is a professional at working with big guys. He was hired for this role by other professionals. not because of where they went to college as guards. Oh, and get paid to do it.

Lydon was a Hop guy. Hop left. So Lydon didn’t want to comeback. He got drafted in the first round. Remember JB had his press conference after the 2017 season and didn’t know Lydon had already signed with agent as the news had been out for an hour.

Battle got his degree and wasn’t going to get anything more.
SWC brought this to my attention Battle played the most minutes by an SU basketball player in a single season his Sophomore year.
He got hurt at the end of his Junior year no reason to put my trend on his tires while at SU for free.

Oshae Brissett didn’t exactly get coaching to help advance his pro career prospects. He was playing within our system to continue our mediocrity.

Eli was in college 4 years and wanted to start his pro career. No reason to play another year in college.

Our program doesn’t seem like it’s a lot of fun to be part of now. So if I were a prospect I would leave as soon as I could.
Age is another factor. Elijah was 22, If he had stayed another year, he would probably be viewed as too old for the NBA. The ideal age range in view by NBA for a college player is 19-21. A lot of the players that Syracuse end with are already well into that age. Guerrier is already well in that range. I will be surprised if he comes back for a junior year.

Age is another factor. Elijah was 22, If he had stayed another year, he would probably be viewed as too old for the NBA. The ideal age range in view by NBA for a college player is 19-21. A lot of the players that Syracuse end with are already well into that age. Guerrier is already well in that range. I will be surprised if he comes back for a junior year.
He's barely good enough for the G league as it stands. He'll return.

He's barely good enough for the G league as it stands. He'll return.

That’s irrelevant.

There’s a LOT more to Pro hoops than just the NBA & G League.

And guys “bet on themselves” all the time and leave early.
Given Candyman’s age, I’d be shocked if he came back next year.

Marek should leave just so he can go ANYWHERE (college or Pro) that won’t make him play the 5.

That’s irrelevant.

There’s a LOT more to Pro hoops than just the NBA & G League.

And guys “bet on themselves” all the time and leave early.
Given Candyman’s age, I’d be shocked if he came back next year.

Marek should leave just so he can go ANYWHERE (college or Pro) that won’t make him play the 5.
That is something that isn’t talked about, if he did want to stay in college, why not go somewhere he can play the 4 that plays to his strengths instead of literally all of his weaknesses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom