Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae, Tyus, Tyler Lydon and Elijah

Matt Leinart is from Orange County, CA...FYI
NFL doesn’t penalize QBs for staying longer in school.

this is an apples to oranges deal..not really worth the compare.

Why are you so incredibly literal with this? It is not about Matt Leinart or Orange County. It is about this statement. I'm just saying, people only look at it from the money point of view. Money is not everything nor should it be. This is time you can never get back and worth more than money.

"College football and this whole atmosphere here, and being with my fans and teammates . . . is ultimately more satisfying, and will make me happier than any amount of money could make someone happy. The money isn't important to me. My teammates and being here is more important to me right now. This is the greatest time of my life. I'm close to home. My family, my friends, everyone's here."

Why are you so incredibly literal with this? It is not about Matt Leinart or Orange County. It is about this statement. I'm just saying, people only look at it from the money point of view. Money is not everything nor should it be. This is time you can never get back and worth more than money.

"College football and this whole atmosphere here, and being with my fans and teammates . . . is ultimately more satisfying, and will make me happier than any amount of money could make someone happy. The money isn't important to me. My teammates and being here is more important to me right now. This is the greatest time of my life. I'm close to home. My family, my friends, everyone's here."
money isn’t everything...when you come from money.

I’d take even a million dollars at 21, these guys are getting paid millions to do what they love. I don’t blame them one bit for leaving

money isn’t everything...when you come from money.
I don't think his parents were really that rich, I remember something about his dad having to refinance their home back then to pay $20k for Matt's insurance policy. Not saying they were poor but I wouldn't say his parents were loaded.

Thank you but at least you see an either or decision for some of these players. The allure of money right away of course is high especially in College but many players regret leaving early, some do not nor should they (See Ennis).

My point is not that they should have stayed but who is advising the kids to leave an why ? Many times these kids are taken advantage of and they are not armed with the full picture. College is also a once in a lifetime opportunity and no its not the same to go back at 26.

Often times people like Oshae could have delayed NBA another year and probably still ended up in the same place. Not true for all.

No offense, but the bolded is really patronizing. Most of these young men have parents, family, and associates who have their best interests in mind.

Anyone who critcized Leinart's decision to stay was wrong. That doesn't mean that it's the right decision for everyone else.

No offense, but the bolded is really patronizing. Most of these young men have parents, family, and associates who have their best interests in mind.
So you are saying Agents don't take advantage of them to profit off of them ?

Anyone who critcized Leinart's decision to stay was wrong. That doesn't mean that it's the right decision for everyone else.
Never said it was the right decision for everyone, just saying I can see his perspective

So you are saying Agents don't take advantage of them to profit off of them ?
Most agents are professionals who are seeking to obtain the largest financial package for their client. Most are not parasites looking to suck a person dry.

You do realize that the vast majority of these players are represented by the premiere agents in the sports industry, right?

Leinart, God bless him, had the option to stay in school for another year, while most of these kids don’t.
If i had his money when i was at the Cuse, maybe id stay too, even if I was offered a great job for a lot of money. But my first priority was to get a degree, & then find a good job to secure my future.
That’s the first motivation for these athletes. There are outliers of course, but the vast majority come to college for that one thing.

Most agents are professionals who are seeking to obtain the largest financial package for their client. Most are not parasites looking to suck a person dry.

You do realize that the vast majority of these players are represented by the premiere agents in the sports industry, right?
Now you are doing the patronizing quite well yourself. You do realize often time they are pressured to go pro as soon as possible?

Now you are doing the patronizing quite well yourself. You do realize often time they are pressured to go pro as soon as possible?
Why do you care? They're adults who have free will. I'm fairly confident that no one puts more pressure on them to turn pro than themselves. It's literally a lifelong dream for them. Do you think that Brissett's dream was to be the 4/5 combo for SU for a 3rd year?

We are lucky we got 4 years out of Hakim Warrick.
If he is in this era I bet he leaves after his Sophomore season and the NC.

The Malcolm Brogdon’s are the outliers.

That doesn't mean anything. The goal is to sign them. The clients are tax write offs in the event it falls through. It happens more than you think even with reputable firms. That 50k you spent on a watch for draft night is a price their willing to pay to get you to put your name on a contract.

Sure for a year or two, but what happens if you can't stick in the league?
They would have money. What is wrong with that? Do you really think that Mali or Tyler would be better off today if they stayed? You would be better off. Our teams would have been better and more enjoyable to watch. But not them. You know, kids leave school for other things all the time and no one says a word. Why is that? Marv Albert left early to work in NYC. Should he have stayed? How about Tennis and baseball players? They leave early every year. Or golfers? We only care when we feel it effects us. If you can make 7 figures, you have to go. Period.

Why do you care? They're adults who have free will. I'm fairly confident that no one puts more pressure on them to turn pro than themselves. It's literally a lifelong dream for them. Do you think that Brissett's dream was to be the 4/5 combo for SU for a 3rd year?
You are incredibly naive, do you think Worldwide Wes is a stand up guy who always has these players best interest in mind.

Do I care that Oshae left, that was not the original point of the post? The original point was why would he leave to take a $300k per year gig in the G league. if he could have potentially gotten the same situation next year wouldn't he want to stay at Cuse if he was enjoying it.

Maybe he was not enjoying the Cuse, the situation, etc...

They would have money. What is wrong with that? Do you really think that Mali or Tyler would be better off today if they stayed? You would be better off. Our teams would have been better and more enjoyable to watch. But not them. You know, kids leave school for other things all the time and no one says a word. Why is that? Marv Albert left early to work in NYC. Should he have stayed? How about Tennis and baseball players? They leave early every year. Or golfers? We only care when we feel it effects us. If you can make 7 figures, you have to go. Period.
In reality we don't know if either would have been better off if they stayed. Tyler Ennis is the only one in recent memory that I can say left when his draft stock couldn't have gone any higher. CJ definitely left too late for his draft stock.

My point is in some scenarios (like Oshae) I think it wouldn't have mattered either way and he probably would have been drafted in a similar position. In those cases, why not stay and play another year unless he thought he would go higher or didn't like his situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom