TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Cheeseburger Sub w/the works

Drops Mic, walks away

Attachments

• 2013-07-26_12-13-56.png
    2013-07-26_12-13-56.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 157
Nothing like Oswego in the summertime. Nothing like Oswego in the wintertime either.

Ain't that the truth.

Syracuse is known for its winters. But Oswego winters will make even the heartiest Syracuse resident cringe.

Ain't that the truth.

Syracuse is known for its winters. But Oswego winters will make even the heartiest Syracuse resident cringe.

Yes, if I remember correctly, they have a big pile of snow each year that doesn't usually finish melting until sometime in August. Anyone have a status report? Is there still snow in Oswego?

Drops Mic, walks away
Not to hijack the thread but someone was telling me about Earl Belcher and that he is an accomplished jazz musician in the Albany area. I checked out his wiki page and it said he got an MBA from Oswego. Didn't know that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, if I remember correctly, they have a big pile of snow each year that doesn't usually finish melting until sometime in August. Anyone have a status report? Is there still snow in Oswego?
I don't know. During my years in Oswego it was cold and windy but the snow wasn't too bad. We always said the winds dropped it on Fulton. I do remember driving back to school after winter break one year from Rochester and going through the little hamlet of Martville just west of Oswego. They had a white out 24 hrs before that dropped about 60 inches overnight. 104 looked like a bobsled run.

Snow doesn't actually accumulate in Oswego the way it does in Syracuse. In Oswego, they get "horizontal snow" because of the 30mph gusts coming off the lake. Absolutely brutal

Drops Mic, walks away
Couldn't agree more. I ordered a full sub with the works last Saturday night with plans to save half for Sunday. I didn't have the discipline...scarfed-down the entire sandwich within 4:44 seconds!

Snow doesn't actually accumulate in Oswego the way it does in Syracuse. In Oswego, they get "horizontal snow" because of the 30mph gusts coming off the lake. Absolutely brutal
30 mph gusts? That's the steady wind. The gusts are probably more like 50 mph sometimes. I don't know that there's anything worse than walking around a corner of a building on the SUNY Oswego campus that was blocking the wind and getting slammed right in the face with a gust.

I don't know. During my years in Oswego it was cold and windy but the snow wasn't too bad. We always said the winds dropped it on Fulton. I do remember driving back to school after winter break one year from Rochester and going through the little hamlet of Martville just west of Oswego. They had a white out 24 hrs before that dropped about 60 inches overnight. 104 looked like a bobsled run.
You're right the winds tend to carry farther inland (and then drop it on the house I grew up in), but what he was referring to was the that the city piles up the snow that they clear off of the streets and then have a contest to see who can guess when the pile completely melts. That's usually in june or july.

I've seen a lot of fireworks, nothing tops Harborfest's display.
Boomsday over labor day weekend in Knoxville may be a little bigger, but the setting at Harborfest is way better.

Boomsday over labor day weekend in Knoxville may be a little bigger, but the setting at Harborfest is way better.

I've heard good things about that. I'll have to check it out.

I was born in Oswego and lived there til the 5th grade. Some of my more vivid childhood memories are all of the giant snowbanks everywhere...sigh.

I've heard good things about that. I'll have to check it out.
The best way to see it is from a boat, kinda like harborfest. The setting is more cramped, so you have to get there early to get a decent spot, and even then it's not a comfortable. If you're lucky enough to know someone with one of the nice apartments over looking the river on the south side, I've heard that's a pretty good view.

The best way to see it is from a boat, kinda like harborfest. The setting is more cramped, so you have to get there early to get a decent spot, and even then it's not a comfortable. If you're lucky enough to know someone with one of the nice apartments over looking the river on the south side, I've heard that's a pretty good view.

Thanks on the info. I've only been to Knoxville on business once and the Florida game last year but would like to make it back - hopefully UT will be a contender in 2014.

My mom makes fun of me for the way I pronounce Oswego. I guess I say it wrong. I can't tell the difference between what I say and what everyone else says.:noidea:

You got that right. I live in Fulton. I remember last year I turned on the news it said that Oswego got a couple inches of snow. I stepped outside and we got up to 3 feet of snow that same night. Crazy how just a few miles could change how much snow an area can get.

Thanks on the info. I've only been to Knoxville on business once and the Florida game last year but would like to make it back - hopefully UT will be a contender in 2014.
I hope they're not. I didn't hate UT until I moved here and found out how insufferable their fans are (and SEC fans in general). And it's not just football. They think they should be considered a top tier team in basketball too. I revel in their current suffering.

I hope they're not. I didn't hate UT until I moved here and found out how insufferable their fans are (and SEC fans in general). And it's not just football. They think they should be considered a top tier team in basketball too. I revel in their current suffering.

That's fair, I've only been down here a couple years (back to back seasons without a bowl game) which has really shut their fans up. It's funny listening to sports radio here and having Vanderbilt fans (they do exist) pile on the UT program. As delusional as UT fans can be, the bandwagon Alabama fans are that much worse. They're EVERYWHERE in Nashville and take over sports bars across the city. I really don't see Vanderbilt becoming an SEC power but based on the recruiting class Butch has put together so far I can see them challenging Alabama in a couple years. Living in the South I feel like I need an SEC program to cheer for and Tennessee seems like the logical choice.

I've seen a lot of fireworks, nothing tops Harborfest's display.

This. Being out on the point or on a boat right under them where the concussive force wave can literally knock the wind out of you is unparalleled. Being right down in the acrid smoke. The fireworks at harborfest are the best displays I ever seen.

That's fair, I've only been down here a couple years (back to back seasons without a bowl game) which has really shut their fans up. It's funny listening to sports radio here and having Vanderbilt fans (they do exist) pile on the UT program. As delusional as UT fans can be, the bandwagon Alabama fans are that much worse. They're EVERYWHERE in Nashville and take over sports bars across the city. I really don't see Vanderbilt becoming an SEC power but based on the recruiting class Butch has put together so far I can see them challenging Alabama in a couple years. Living in the South I feel like I need an SEC program to cheer for and Tennessee seems like the logical choice.
Haha. Yeah, that's one way to approach it. When I came down I wasn't sure if I would root for or against UT. I waited to see what was going to come naturally. After hearing them say things like "Do they have football at Syracuse?" and cheer for whatever SEC team plays for the national championship, since their team sucks, I found myself rooting against them. I've decided that I'm a missionary to the south and I'm attempting to spread the gospel of true orange, not the watered down pseudo orange they proclaim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom