OT-Best Actor Ever | Syracusefan.com

OT-Best Actor Ever

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
Who's everyone's best actor/actress ever? Lighten things up around here before Thursday... Just got done watching captain phllips and wow it was unreal! Tom Hanks in my mind is the best actor to ever live... He's unreal! What a performance...

If asked 20 years ago, Laurence Olivier would be the consensus.

There are so many good ones, I would say Deniro. A very underrated actor is Ed Norton.

DeNiro was on his way to perhaps being considered, but I think he's really taken the lazy man's way out in his choice of pictures over the past 15 years or so. Some great roles, but too many 'mail-it-ins' for me.

As a fan of TCM, one of my all-time faves, and oft-overlooked, is Robert Ryan. I think he's great in just about every role I've seen him in. We're talkin' man-crush great. Here's some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ryan

I like Hanks because he does so many different characters. I hate the rep guys like Denzel and Costner get for essentially doing the same character over and over again. I think De Niro used to show so much more range (see Awakenings) but he seems to have settled into just doing himself lately.

I'll go with Daniel Day Lewis as the best actor because of the broad range of his characterizations, even though he has not really made many films

but the greatest movie star of all time is still John Wayne

I'll go with Daniel Day Lewis as the best actor because of the broad range of his characterizations, even though he has not really made many films

but the greatest movie star of all time is still John Wayne

Good call on both. I missed my annual viewing of the Quiet Man this past weekend. I need to get that one on blueray.

Burt Lancaster is another great actor who had tremendous range in a wide variety of roles. Very athletic, often did his own stunts, but gets inside the skin of a wide array of characters.

One of my faves was his performance as a total manipulative slime in "Sweet Smell of Success", a corrosive movie you really should see:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-sweet-smell-of-success-1957

Last edited:
And Atlantic City. And Birdman of Alcatraz. On and on.
th

Between Tom Hanks and Russel Crowe.

Shame how Mel Gibson's career went down da sheeter.

Actress?

My love, my world... Marion Cotillard.

Gregory Peck, Sidney Poitier (totally under appreciated), and Russell Crowe.

George C. Scott, Denzel Washington (Glory), Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones (not Men in Black), Hanks, Robert DuVall, Clint Eastwood, Jaquin Phoenix, Brad Dourif, Norman Reedus (Boondock Saints), Robert DeNiro, Daniel Craig, Daniel Day Lewis, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, Alan Rickman

...deeeeep breath...

Woody Harrelson, McConaughey (sp?), Banderas, Jeff Bridges, Kurt Russell (sometimes), Costner (sometimes), Matt Damon (sometimes),

Honorable Mention: Alfalfa, Spanky, the Three Stooges

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom