OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week)

NYC can never be nailed down. It is far too much a Pro sports town and not nearly enough a College sports town. Beside that, St Johns inn the ACC would do as much to deliver NYC for hoops as UConn in the ACC. That is not a call to add the Johnies - it is another way to mark the lack of value in UConn.

ND football going full member not only delivers an ACC network but guarantees it is as profitable as the SEC and BT networks. ND going to 6 ACC football games per year might be a sticking point for ESPN.

As for adding a school to help with an ACC network - Navy is a better value than UConn.
Navy would be a great addition to the ACC. Annapolis is a great road trip. It's much nicer to go to any venue there than in College Park. They would make it easier for Notre Dame to join. Their Director's Cup finishes lately are right where some of the lower ACC programs are currently. Basketball would be the only question mark, but I could live with it. I wouldn't want football only. I don't want the ACC to go down that road.

I wanted UConn two years ago, but after spending time on their board with their fans, they don't want to be in the ACC. They trash the ACC. I don't want to see the ACC bring in anyone who doesn't want to be in the ACC. I think all of our new members genuinely like it here and want to be here. The ACC should be able to find a school to invite that wants to be here. If somehow the Big 12 breaks up and members leave, I still hope that the ACC can go back and pick up West Virginia. Regional rivalries are important, and with Pitt and VT in the ACC we could benefit from theirs with WVU.

Navy would be a great addition to the ACC. Annapolis is a great road trip. It's much nicer to go to any venue there than in College Park. They would make it easier for Notre Dame to join. Their Director's Cup finishes lately are right where some of the lower ACC programs are currently. Basketball would be the only question mark, but I could live with it. I wouldn't want football only. I don't want the ACC to go down that road.

I wanted UConn two years ago, but after spending time on their board with their fans, they don't want to be in the ACC. They trash the ACC. I don't want to see the ACC bring in anyone who doesn't want to be in the ACC. I think all of our new members genuinely like it here and want to be here. The ACC should be able to find a school to invite that wants to be here. If somehow the Big 12 breaks up and members leave, I still hope that the ACC can go back and pick up West Virginia. Regional rivalries are important, and with Pitt and VT in the ACC we could benefit from theirs with WVU.
29f343b.jpg

UConn would piss their pants to be in the ACC. Instead they're in the AAC. Ooh so close - only one letter off.

All4SU said:
If they give a $#|+ about the fans at all, they will support it.

That's funny.

If there's one thing the leaders of college athletics have shown time and time and time again it's that they don't give a flying f$#k about the fans.

That's funny.

If there's one thing the leaders of college athletics have shown time and time and time again it's that they don't give a flying f$#k about the fans.
Well, they are sure solicitous of those fans who give them the checks containing lots of zeros.

even with only us and big 12 from p5 supporting rule change we can still get it to pass if we got g5 leagues on our side since you need 8 votes to pass and each p5 conference counts as 2 per vote which make it at worst 6-4 against with all the g5 leagues getting 1 vote a piece

The Boneyard is not the best place to make a conclusion.

They are jealous of everyone leaving them behind. They think the B1G would be the best way to say "" to Cuse. Rational UConn fans realize the ACC would be their best landing spot.

They are jealous of everyone leaving them behind. They think the B1G would be the best way to say "" to Cuse. Rational UConn fans realize the ACC would be their best landing spot.
I'd add a few additional adjectives to "jealous", like bitter, rude and grandiose. Why anyone would want to add that fanbase to the ACC is a mystery.

The attitude over there is pretty poor. I don't think that the Big Ten has much interest in New England. I could be wrong, but the Big Ten knows it needs to go where population is growing, and that's the sun belt and more specifically the southern part of the Big XII. The ACC schools they want to this point aren't interested.

The Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers to save Penn State. They both have football history with Penn State and could satisfy Penn State's request for regional rivals. I don't think Penn State has much history playing football in New England unless it's against Boston College.

I thought UConn could help the ACC in New England, a region the ACC is trying to cultivate. I also have an interest in seeing the ACC add ice hockey some day even if it's in a partnership with Hockey East. I saw UConn helping with that long term as well. But if UConn goes somewhere else, we'll do something else.

UConn brings nothing that the ACC needs. UConn is a top tier basketball program, but a football program with no history in a region of the country that isn't big into the CFB.
UConn can't fillup their stadium and it is smaller than the Dome and they are the flagship public school of CT. CT doesn't care about CFB. If the ACC needed a warm body their hoops and Olympic Sports would be good enough.

However the ACC doesn't need another warm body they are comfortable with the status quo right now.

The Big Ten is not adding UConn. That is a UConn fan's dream and they need that dream because dreams are free and if they don't dream then looking at reality shows they are screwed. The Big Ten only cares about $$$ and cable boxes. CT is not a big enough state for BTN to make the money off them to justify their inclusion.

The ACC needs Virginia Tech, Miami to get their football in order more than anything. If those programs come back with Florida State and Clemson that will make the conference the money in their next TV contract.

Syracuse also has a rivalry with West Virginia, as the two schools played annually from 1955 - 2012.

Since their isolation in the AAC UConn's recruiting in football and men's basketball has taken a major hit.

Other than the fact that Diaco is doing very well in recruiting and the fact that Ollie has a top 5 class coming in next year, yes, this is a bang-on statement that is totally accurate.

Syracuse also has a rivalry with West Virginia, as the two schools played annually from 1955 - 2012.
Really. I didn't realize Syracuse and WVU played so much before the Big East. Then that adds a third rivalry with WVU that could help the ACC. Then we have Miami and Boston College, who I assume has history with WVU from the Big East too.

I still think regional rivalries help make college sports fun.

Other than the fact that Diaco is doing very well in recruiting and the fact that Ollie has a top 5 class coming in next year, yes, this is a bang-on statement that is totally accurate.
http://24 7sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=AAC
You guys are ranked 6th in football recruiting in the 6th conference.

That is not good football recruiting. We have had a coaching change and are ranked higher in football recruiting.

UConn football is going to be like Syracuse football but without the benefit of P5 conference membership.

UConn basketball is going to be elite for pretty much forever.

Your fanbase wants to act like your basketball respect should be transferred to the football world.

The Big Ten doesn't want the ACC to have the ability to do the 3+5+5 or the Big XII to have a CCG at 10 teams.

The Pac-12 will vote with Big Ten. The SEC doesn't care. If the ACC wants the 3+5+5 it will have t make a deal with the Big XII for the 10 team CCG and those 2 conferences would be 24 teams. The Big Ten and Pac-12 team would be 26 teams.

The SEC would likely side with the ACC/B12 and it would pass.

If the 3+5+5 passed the top 2 ACC teams every year would play in the CCG game regardless of what prior division they were in. We would see Clemson-Florida State play twice a year some times and that would help their SOS but could hurt them if they lost in getting into a CFB playoff.

I have done the projections our permanent 3 would be BC, Pitt and then one of Miami/Virginia/Louisville.
I'm not sure why we worry so much about Clemson-FSU. They are currently the best in the ACC, but only a decade ago they were not. Alabama is now in the SEC, but Florida dominated a decade ago. I'm sorry, the ACC should set up divisions to preserve regional rivalries. Period.

The Big Ten and Pac 12 dominated college football for 30 years after the Ivy League got out of the game.Their teams are still good, but others have become equal. New Game Now. We have a national championship not driven by media as much. The days of the CFA shoving the Big Ten and Pac 12 down our throats is gone. I imagine that that USC doesn't like only airing at 11:00 eastern when CFA put them on at 4:00 in the old days.

We have made progress, but the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are still a problem. This will be solved in time.

Last edited:
I'd add a few additional adjectives to "jealous", like bitter, rude and grandiose. Why anyone would want to add that fanbase to the ACC is a mystery.

Let me add: "butt hurt, bellicose and drunk." That said, aside from certain internet Eers fans, I'd like to see West Virginia in the ACC.

http://24 7sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=AAC
You guys are ranked 6th in football recruiting in the 6th conference.

That is not good football recruiting. We have had a coaching change and are ranked higher in football recruiting.

UConn football is going to be like Syracuse football but without the benefit of P5 conference membership.

UConn basketball is going to be elite for pretty much forever.

Your fanbase wants to act like your basketball respect should be transferred to the football world.

If UConn doesn't make it this next wave of realignment (the B12 is rumored to be looking hard at them)...they really need to revaluate.

Maybe rejoin the Big East (if they'll take them) and park their Football in the MAC. They could become the Gonzaga of the East.

I'm not sure why we worry so much about Clemson-FSU. They are currently the best in the ACC, but only a decade ago they were not. Alabama is now in the SEC, but Florida dominated a decade ago. I'm sorry, the ACC should set up divisions to preserve regional rivalries. Period.

The Big Ten and Pac 12 dominated college football for 30 years after the Ivy League got out of the game.Their teams are still good, but others have become equal. New Game Now. We have a national championship not driven by media as much. The days of the CFA shoving the Big Ten and Pac 12 down our throats is gone. I imagine that that USC doesn't like only airing at 11:00 eastern when CFA put them on at 4:00 in the old days.

We have made progress, but the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are still a problem. This will be solved in time.

FSU and Clemson draw the biggest crowds (Home and Away)...without them we are getting close enough to the AAC for the media to start to put a negative spin on the league deserving P5.

Since 3-5-5 seems dead, I guess the conference will realign the divisions. So let's start with the proposals.

The simplest realignment is to swap F$U for Miami. The only complication this creates is that Miami and Pitt had started to play each other as the last game of the year since both of them had no one else to play. They could go the UNC-Wake route and continue to play each other in the last game and have it be an OOC game.

Another realignment that would accomplish the Clemson-F$U split, but leave just about everything else intact would be to go to: (cross-division rivals on the same line)
Atlantic/--/Coastal
F$U/--/Miami
Georgia Tech/--/Clemson
Duke/--/UNC
Wake/--/NC State
Louisville/--/UVa
Syracuse/--/Pitt
BC/--/VPI

Duke still plays UNC, but now as a cross-division game and still plays Ga Tech, who've they played every year since 1937. NC State still plays UNC, but now as a division game. Miami and Pitt still can play each other at the end of the year without having to resort to the messy OOC stuff. F$U plays Ga Tech under either proposal, something that they've wanted for a while since Atlanta is closer to Tally than even Miami is.

This holds off the Pod People until ND joins the conference, if ever.

If wouldn't be surprised to see the ACC go to some sort of rolling/rotating divisional alignment model. Every 2 years the divisions are shaken up. This allows for more frequent games against everyone in the conference while still adhering to the 2-division rule for a championship game.

Here is my proposal for divisions
first start with this premise
Division 1
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia

Division 2
NC State
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

then divide Miami/Florida State, Boston College/Syracuse, Clemson/Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh/Louisville

I would go
Division 1
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia
Miami
Syracuse
Clemson
Pittsburgh

Division 2
NC State
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Florida State
Boston College
Georgia Tech
Louisville

If UConn doesn't make it this next wave of realignment (the B12 is rumored to be looking hard at them)...they really need to revaluate.

Maybe rejoin the Big East (if they'll take them) and park their Football in the MAC. They could become the Gonzaga of the East.
They will never join the Big East. As that would be admitting acceptance. I think the Big XII will look at them strongly. If they will play home games at Metlife against the Texas/Oklahoma's of the world and give those schools access to the NYC area.
UConn, Cincinnati, BYU, Memphis would be the top Big XII targets IMO with Cincy almost being a lock.

I just don't think UConn has a pray for the Big Ten and the ACC clearly doesn't want them.

Here is my proposal for divisions
first start with this premise
Division 1
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia

Division 2
NC State
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

then divide Miami/Florida State, Boston College/Syracuse, Clemson/Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh/Louisville

I would go
Division 1
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia
Miami
Syracuse
Clemson
Pittsburgh

Division 2
NC State
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Florida State
Boston College
Georgia Tech
Louisville
That would be OK. You're moving Clemson and Syracuse into the Coastal and moving Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech into the Atlantic. We still will have all of the issues with 14 team scheduling though. Hopefully ND will decide to join at some point and we can get to 16 where there are easier scheduling models to play everyone more often.

I'm assuming for the crossover rivals with this you'll have UVA-VT, Syracuse-BC, and Louisville-Pittsburgh as changes. GT will keep Clemson. I think everyone would be good with that.

That would be OK. You're moving Clemson and Syracuse into the Coastal and moving Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech into the Atlantic. We still will have all of the issues with 14 team scheduling though. Hopefully ND will decide to join at some point and we can get to 16 where there are easier scheduling models to play everyone more often.

I'm assuming for the crossover rivals with this you'll have UVA-VT, Syracuse-BC, and Louisville-Pittsburgh as changes. GT will keep Clemson. I think everyone would be good with that.
Yes on the crossover games but these changes would good for TV ratings.
New annual games Florida State- Virginia Tech, Florida State-Georgia Tech, Clemson-Miami, Clemson-North Carolina, Georgia Tech- Louisville, Virginia Tech-Louisville would good for ESPN and TV partnership.

Right now the ACC misses out on a lot of good TV matchups because of the divisions.

Another solution would be keeping the premise I had to start
Division 1
Duke
North Carolina
Virginia

Division 2
NC State
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

and keep mixing up the other zippers every 2 years.
Florida State/Miami, Boston College/Syracuse, Louisville/Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech/Clemson

Year 1
Duke
UNC
UVA
FSU
BC
Louisville
Georgia Tech

Year 2
Duke
UNC
UVA
Miami
SU
Pitt
Clemson

Year 3
Duke
UNC
UVA
FSU
BC
Pitt
Clemson

Year 4
Duke
UNC
UVA
Miami
SU
Louisville
Georgia Tech

and the other division with the other 7 each year. This would basically be the 3+5+5 with divisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom