Class of 2014 - OT/DE Beau Benzschawel (WI) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 OT/DE Beau Benzschawel (WI) Offered

Welcome Beau!

Found this on his last name:

Benzschawel Name MeaningGerman: probably an altered form of Binsschaubel or -schäubel, a nickname for a tall, skinny man, from Middle High German biese (modern German Binse) ‘reed’ + schoup ‘bundle’, or from a house name with a sign depicting this. EXG.

The key to re-establishing our program is to get a lot of guys like Beau; tall athletic kids that can run. They can fill a lot of holes and you can build a team around them. Coach Mac did this early in his career, looks to be happening again.

Good stuff.
Josh Thomas come to mind. Had a decent NFL career as well.

ESPN gave him 3 stars (73 rating). They had him NR prior to his commitment.

Phil Steele lists him as 2nd All American OG. Sucks for us Wisky offered him late.

Phil Steele lists him as 2nd All American OG. Sucks for us Wisky offered him late.
Hopefully the early signing helps us with this. That said, if he wanted to play at Wisky, where I think he was a legacy, I'm glad he got what he wanted

Hopefully the early signing helps us with this. That said, if he wanted to play at Wisky, where I think he was a legacy, I'm glad he got what he wanted

Yeah his dad played there, it was his dream.

Yeah his dad played there, it was his dream.

Unfortunately this was one of those ones where he was going to Wisconsin as soon as they offered irrespective of anything else. He committed to us in June and I think he flipped in August a few days after they offered.

Man, 1st team preseason All-American. I'm guessing this thread must've been cleaned up a ton because I can't imagine that no one cared when he decommitted for Wiscy.

Man, 1st team preseason All-American. I'm guessing this thread must've been cleaned up a ton because I can't imagine that no one cared when he decommitted for Wiscy.

people cared., but it was over the minute they offered, his roots were so heavy in the program, not a thing we could do. it didn't hurt like Cabinda, for example, especially considering the scumbags who flipped him and only were able to flip him because the spineless NCAA gave them scholarships back. And, of course, we had no clue that Beau would become such a stud, which, let's face it, he may not have become at all here. Wisconsin is a factory for linemen.

4 years starter too. He has been very good for them from the day he stepped on campus. At the time it didn’t seem a big loss (I think he was considered a bit of a developmental gig since he was originally projected as tE). Beau along with Cabinda ended up being enormous losses. Josh Palmer may be up there when it’s all said and done (imagine if we had him this year) , but out of all the decommits those 2 ended up hurting the most.

1545330205938.jpeg

Shows how hard it is to get drafted.
This shows it too.

A quick check of the rosters shows that each team has between ten and twenty seniors, so let's say that each team has an average of fifteen seniors. That makes for a total of 12,650 players, with 1,725 seniors. But that doesn't count Division II, which has roughly the same number of teams, so double those numbers to 25,300 players and 3,450 seniors.

So the first lesson that our foray into math offers is that not every college football player makes it to his senior year, and being offered a scholarship out of high school is no guarantee of eventually entering the NFL draft.

So, including the fifty or so underclassmen who leave college and declare themselves eligible for the NFL draft, that's a pool of 3,500 players who could be drafted. Now consider the number of players who were drafted by NFL teams in 2011: 254. In other words, only approximately 7% of eligible players get drafted.

Those players then have to compete with everyone else on the roster, plus any undrafted college free agents, plus any other veterans or players from other leagues the team might want to check out, just to make it onto the Week 1 roster.

Last edited:
This shows it too.

A quick check of the rosters shows that each team has between ten and twenty seniors, so let's say that each team has an average of fifteen seniors. That makes for a total of 12,650 players, with 1,725 seniors. But that doesn't count Division II, which has roughly the same number of teams, so double those numbers to 25,300 players and 3,450 seniors.

So the first lesson that our foray into math offers is that not every college football player makes it to his senior year, and being offered a scholarship out of high school is no guarantee of eventually entering the NFL draft.

So, including the fifty or so underclassmen who leave college and declare themselves eligible for the NFL draft, that's a pool of 3,500 players who could be drafted. Now consider the number of players who were drafted by NFL teams in 2011: 254. In other words, only approximately 7% of eligible players get drafted.

Those players then have to compete with everyone else on the roster, plus any undrafted college free agents, plus any other veterans or players from other leagues the team might want to check out, just to make it onto the Week 1 roster.
And you have to wonder how many seniors had aspirations of playing in the NFL when they entered college. Of course not all but I have to imagine that percentage is pretty high.