OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what you mean by this. You're eligible to attend a school in the district if you live in the district (or if you've got a parent who's faculty or staff). You're not eligible to attend just because you live in a jurisdiction that borders the district.

Part of the district is in the city of Syracuse. Mostly the area surrounding Lemoyne.

JD touches the city of Syracuse. What about the other ringers?
It was well known that Coleman's mom did not live in the JD district. As I said elsewhere, BErnard's home was not in the JD district: not close.
Its nothing new. Fulton and Bville did this stuff for wrestling. The B'ville coach had rooms in his basement for kids to stay in.

It was well known that Coleman's mom did not live in the JD district. As I said elsewhere, BErnard's home was not in the JD district: not close.
Its nothing new. Fulton and Bville did this stuff for wrestling. The B'ville coach had rooms in his basement for kids to stay in.

Dude Dajuans family moved to Gregory arms apartments across from the JCC. I don’t know how it all went down with BB. Thst was before my time. I do know everything about DCs situation though and you’re wrong.

Just sayin', a lot of assumptions and a lot of pontificating in this thread by a lot of posters assuming they know the facts about a lot of things that they do not know the facts about. Oh well, it is just a message board.

Part of the district is in the city of Syracuse. Mostly the area surrounding Lemoyne.

There are half a dozen residential properties on Manor Drive, Sherbrooke Road, and I think Sycamore Terrace that sit on the municipal boundary - part of the property is in DeWitt and part is in Syracuse. Those property owners pay taxes to both school districts and can send children to either. But I don't believe any properties are fully within the city of Syracuse and another school district.

If somebody has been arrested for 3 felonies that's not enough to maybe stop in and do something? Especially when it involves him being around and competing with other minors let alone going to school daily with them? Come on.

You are confusing what is SENSIBLE and what is LEGAL.

The careers, pensions and lives of school administrators and teachers are on the line here. Who can blame them from stepping carefully in this legal and public opinion minefield?

Gotta love the JD hate from people who are totally clueless. Guess that’s what happens when you’re the best.

The best at what? I'm from NYC, I don't care about the high school you went to. Like the kid down here that had a murder charge, but played in the PSAL Football championship, it's disturbing to let a student you know has been arrested and charged with felonies continue to play in the name of winning. The administrators involved have a duty to teach kids that they are responsible for their actions. That didn't happen here.

My experience is probably a lot more limited than yours, but it's my understanding that most big high schools have an SRO, and in my experience it's virtually guaranteed that that employee will hear about an arrest from his colleagues in law enforcement - if not formally then at least through the grapevine.

This is my experience as well, although admittedly it is outside the state of New York.

Frank Martin said it best:

“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything. We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

Kids these days are fine. Across the board they commit less crime, abuse drugs less, abuse alcohol less, get pregnant as teenagers less, etc. than kids a generation ago. The 24/7 news cycle and internet make problems seem way more exaggerated than they actually are. This is a very high quality generation of young people.

I don't know a single kid personally that is as much of a psycho/maniac as Frank Martin.

Kids these days are fine. Across the board they commit less crime, abuse drugs less, abuse alcohol less, get pregnant as teenagers less, etc. than kids a generation ago. The 24/7 news cycle and internet make problems seem way more exaggerated than they actually are. This is a very high quality generation of young people.

I don't know a single kid personally that is as much of a psycho/maniac as Frank Martin.

Agreed. I'm optimistic on the younger generation and the impact they'll have as they grow and rise to positions of leadership. As a whole they seem to have a strong moral compass, more open minded to embracing diversity in a variety of areas and also seem more motivated to take action against what they believe to be right vs. wrong relative to the current class of leaders.

Frank Martin said it best:

“You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven’t changed. Kids don’t know anything about anything. We’ve changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is truly about. We’re the ones that have changed. To blame kids is a cop-out.”

You are confusing what is SENSIBLE and what is LEGAL.

The careers, pensions and lives of school administrators and teachers are on the line here. Who can blame them from stepping carefully in this legal and public opinion minefield?

That is where I'm guessing the issue is, but after the first felony, or second, you think they'd be able to respond to this and give state why he is still playing or why finally they are sitting him.

It seems on the surface that they could have sat him sooner but didn't as they are sitting him now with another pending charge.

That is where I'm guessing the issue is, but after the first felony, or second, you think they'd be able to respond to this and give state why he is still playing or why finally they are sitting him.

It seems on the surface that they could have sat him sooner but didn't as they are sitting him now with another pending charge.

It can't be overstated that we are living in the time of Columbine, the time of Sandy Hook, the time of Parkland.

Ultimately, the careers on the line may be those of educators who fail to act when presented with indications of violent behavior on the part of students under their care.

If you think Frank Martin is a psycho/maniac, you don't know him.

And there are way too many kids today who do not have respect or responsibility traits.

My experience is probably a lot more limited than yours, but it's my understanding that most big high schools have an SRO, and in my experience it's virtually guaranteed that that employee will hear about an arrest from his colleagues in law enforcement - if not formally then at least through the grapevine.
If a school has an SRO ( many, especially small-mid size, don’t anymore as funding streams were cut years ago) I’m sure they do hear about it. Honestly not sure if they’re formally notified as my school doesn’t have one.

Unfortunate waste of talent. Kid threw away what could have been an amazing high school athletic career, and possible college career, down the drain.

And I thought the varsity squad coach at our school was being lenient when he only sat one of our seniors for a bunch of games for getting busted shoplifting.

Unfortunate waste of talent. Kid threw away what could have been an amazing high school athletic career, and possible college career, down the drain.

1549559712004.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.