OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope your school never has a situation such as this, good luck in your future and you are right it is not really up to you. You are not an admin.

I get asked a few times a year if I will be entering administration.

Not a chance.

I want nothing to do with it. Sadly, it isn’t worth it. The admins can’t win. Even when they are right, they will be wrong. It is an impossible and thankless job.

I wanted to be a teacher, earned the position of coach... but that is my ceiling here, unfortunately. I’ve had to get comfortable with that idea lately.

I get asked a few times a year if I will be entering administration.

Not a chance.

I want nothing to do with it. Sadly, it isn’t worth it. The admins can’t win. Even when they are right, they will be wrong. It is an impossible and thankless job.

I wanted to be a teacher, earned the position of coach... but that is my ceiling here, unfortunately. I’ve had to get comfortable with that idea lately.

Sometimes knowing what one is suited for and enjoying what you do is the greatest gift. Best wishes to you.

Sometimes knowing what one is suited for and enjoying what you do is the greatest gift. Best wishes to you.

Thank you.

Believe me, I appreciate your position on this. I agree with it.

Unfortunately the school’s hands are tied in 2019.

IMO you aren’t wrong in your beliefs. But the system has been castrated.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Understand.

Gotta love the JD hate from people who are totally clueless. Guess that’s what happens when you’re the best.

I saw this on my Twitter timeline because one of the writers at Nunes is local to the area and tweeted the story. This is not a good look for the administration at J-D. The Athletics Director and Head Coach need to be suspended. The student should be dismissed from the program and if he is indeed a ringer as he lives on the West Side, J-D has to forfeit every game that he played in. He has three pending felony charges one of which could have ended a lot worse for the woman he choked into unconsciousness. All of this for a Class A title? Are you kidding me?
If they have to forfeit for ringers, JD is in big trouble, going way back, to at least Bernard Blunt.

I was suspended from my varsity baseball team for 3 days for wearing sneakers, instead of dress shoes, to school one day. I went to high school 5 minutes from JD.

In my high school, the star of both the basketball and baseball teams was sent to detention for three days for "smirking" at the teacher in trig class. As a result, he was declared ineligible for one baseball game.

By the way, he subsequently went to Princeton and became a very successful lawyer.

Different time, different place, I guess.

By the way, he subsequently went to Princeton and became a very successful lawyer.

That boy turned out to be....
President Grover Cleveland. Now you know the rest of the story.

3D5C0A73-947C-4854-95AA-325FE874167E.jpeg

Really. I tutored Bernard Blunt for his SATs, at his home, in Syracuse. He was playing at JD. He lived in Syracuse.

JD touches the city of Syracuse. What about the other ringers?

You are wrong, the school has a right to establish an acceptable code of conduct for its athletic teams and can suspend or terminate violators of the code.
Whether JD has a code can be questioned, but but they could and should.

I am not wrong. I have been in education for 29 years, administration for 17 ( not at JD) and have a strong background in the education laws of NYS.

I didn’t say he can’t be kicked off the team for violating a code of conduct- All schools in NY have a code, it’s required by law. Whether or not it was followed, I ( or you) don’t know.

I said you that he can’t he kicked out of school for conduct outside of school unless you can show the conduct is connected to the school environment.

BS. Suppose a kid is a mass murder terrorist, but not yet convicted and you think the school has to keep him enrolled?
Yes- the school is still legally obligated to educate the kid. Doubt a mass murderer terrorist is out on bail so the school would be paying for his/her education in jail while awaiting trial.

That diesn’t mean the details weren’t available in July or August. Newspapers are late to things all the time.

I’d bet the school system was notified.

And I’m glad you’re nowhere near responsibility for a school system.

Schools are rarely notified by law enforcement of students being arrested.

In the world of social media it’s hard not to hear about things, but direct notification is not standard.

I am not wrong. I have been in education for 29 years, administration for 17 ( not at JD) and have a strong background in the education laws of NYS.

I didn’t say he can’t be kicked off the team for violating a code of conduct- All schools in NY have a code, it’s required by law. Whether or not it was followed, I ( or you) don’t know.

I said you that he can’t he kicked out of school for conduct outside of school unless you can show the conduct is connected to the school environment.
Under your scenario he could still not be kicked off the ream or suspended, and he has been. Somewhere something does not jibe. Great you have all this experience, but does not necessarily make you right.
Oh and I never mentioned being kicked out of school, you made that up or assumed it. I too know he must be educated even when under indictment. He is not however entitled to be on a school athletic team.
I see now where we diverged you went from athletic teams to school in general which is a totally different kettle of fish.

Last edited:
Gotta love the JD hate from people who are totally clueless. Guess that’s what happens when you’re the best.
I do not hate JD as a matter of fact do not care about them at all, but it seems they have screwed up with this situation.

Under your scenario he could still not be kicked off the ream or suspended, and he has been. Somewhere something does not jibe. Great you have all this experience, but does not necessarily make you right.
Oh and I never mentioned being kicked out of school, you made that up or assumed it. I to know he must be educated even when under indictment. He is not however entitled to be on a school athletic team.
I see now where we diverged you went from athletic teams to school in general which is a totally different kettle of fish.

I have no desire to get in a pissing contest with you, especially when you are clearly convinced that you know more than I do.

I never said he can’t get kicked off a team- I was originally responding to another posters comment that he should be thrown out of school to which you responded that I was wrong.

I have no desire to get in a pissing contest with you, especially when you are clearly convinced that you know more than I do.

I never said he can’t get kicked off a team- I was originally responding to another posters comment that he should be thrown out of school to which you responded that I was wrong.

As I said I now realize we were talking about two different things, but apparently you did not read that.
I recently had another poster make the same mistake on something I posted. Sorry we had a communication glitch.

Last edited:

In the world of social media it’s hard not to hear about things, but direct notification is not standard.
Just maybe that is something that needs to be changed or at least looked at. Seems to put schools at a high risk if someone subsequently commits another crime for which the school could be held liable.

Liberal America...consequences thereof

Fewer morals and zero institutional support for those that do...then whining about the penal system

Sorry to see this situation unfolding

Just maybe that is something that needs to be changed or at least looked at. Seems to put schools at a high risk if someone subsequently commits another crime for which the school could be held liable.
Totally agree.

Ok. Let me bring some closure to this, as Headmaster and SU Bear are pretty much saying the same thing and both are correct.

In NY, public school districts are required to have a Code of Conduct, which is a Board of Education approved and adopted policy that, among other things, sets forth the rules of conduct for students and visitors on school district property. It is required to be reviewed annually, and any amendments generally require a public hearing before the Board takes action. This doesnt always happen, and usually, nobody cares. Generally, there are due process protections mandated by the law that must be provided before a student can be suspended from school, and the protections grow to entitlement to counsel and full evidentiary hearing for suspensions beyond five days (other protections exist for students w/ disabilities). The District bears the burden of proof, but the evidentiary standard is quite low ("more likely than not"). Student's do have the right of confrontation, which can muddle things when the only witnesses are students.

School districts cannot discipline (out of school suspension) for incidents that do not have a "nexus" to school. The "nexus" standard allows that students may be disciplined for conduct that occurred outside of the school that may endanger the health or safety or pupils within the educational system or adversely affect the educative process. Creative schools can usually find a way to meet this standard when they deem it necessary. However, for some kid who commits an act, completely outside the district, involving people who also reside outside the district, during a time when school is not in session, the nexus will be very tenuous at best.

School districts are not required to have a separate athletic code of conduct, also adopted by the board, but every district I know of has an athletic code. They first came in vogue in the late 90s and were premised around the notion that playing sports for a school is a privilege, these student-athletes are representing the school community, and therefore should be held to a higher standard. Accordingly, students can be "suspended" from athletics for a broader spectrum of reasons, and often a nexus to school is not necessary. The school district really makes the rules via its policy, and then has to enforce its own policy. Schools have actually been tightening these policies because with the rise of social media, kids off-campus behavior is much easier to monitor. Usually, an arrest will violate an athletic code of conduct, due to the discredit it brings the school district.

Schools are only required to educate students who are considered to be of compulsory education age (i.e., through the school year they turn 16). Students with IEPs are required to be educated and receive their special ed supports up to the age of 21. Most schools will educate students on suspension even beyond compulsory education age because it is in everyone's best interest for those students to earn credits and graduate.

My experience is probably a lot more limited than yours, but it's my understanding that most big high schools have an SRO, and in my experience it's virtually guaranteed that that employee will hear about an arrest from his colleagues in law enforcement - if not formally then at least through the grapevine.

JD touches the city of Syracuse. What about the other ringers?

I don't understand what you mean by this. You're eligible to attend a school in the district if you live in the district (or if you've got a parent who's faculty or staff). You're not eligible to attend just because you live in a jurisdiction that borders the district.

Status
Not open for further replies.