OT-MNF Damar Hamlin emergency | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

OT-MNF Damar Hamlin emergency

Does anyone else just kind of feel weird right now?

Despite last night's horrific event, I still really want the Bills to win the Super Bowl (no sense in pretending I don't). But every time I have a thought in my head like "hmm I wonder what will happen with that game since home-field advantage is at stake" I circle back to feeling like a POS because that shouldn't matter when a human life is hanging in the balance. Like I'm trying to force myself not to care about football, but it's hard because I still do.

It's a dirty feeling but im right there with you. Im as Bills fan as they come, they've always been my number 1. And I want nothing more than a Superbowl, and now...and still. I had a hard time coping with that and slept very little last night. Tossing and turning and thinking "What kind of piece of garbage am I? Whay am I even thinking about this now?"

Listening to WGR today was very theraputic. Jeremy White said its ok to still want the Bills to win, it doesnt mean we dont care for the well being of Damar Hamlin. Of cours this is obvious, but I found hearing it to be helpful. Prayers for #3

Last edited:
This is very good. From what I have read, the idea is reduce the oxygen to see if he is able to breathe on his own, and then they take the tube out. So if he is on 50%, it sounds like this is being successful.

This is very good. From what I have read, the idea is reduce the oxygen to see if he is able to breathe on his own, and then they take the tube out. So if he is on 50%, it sounds like this is being successful.

I just worry about how much oxygen the brain lost during it all. Hearing that he's awake and talking to those around him will be the best of news.

Reggie Lewis. His situation may have been unlike Hamlin’s since it was a pre-existing condition, and he had collapsed once before during a game before he sadly passed after collapsing during a practice.

I will admit last night had me pretty shook because of Lewis. I was an intern in the news department of a Boston TV station the summer he collapsed for the second time. I was at the hospital with a camera man when Reggie passed. It was awful. Hoping Damar recovers.
Thanks I could not remember, I should have googled. Don’t they check this as a routine? Of course I don’t know what caused the CA but I have to wonder.

As someone who was there last night it was surreal. The crowd was loud and engaged to start the game as once can expect for a huge Monday Night Football match up.

Once the injury occurred and the ambulance was on the field you could hear a pin drop. Lots of questions initially and being seated low we couldn’t see what was going on. The severity was quickly evident once you saw the expressions of the Bills team.

Fans started group prayers in the stands and the theme changed quick, it was no longer football it was no longer Bills fans or Bengals fans it was human beings who joined together as one concerned about nothing more than the player on the field.

I’m proud of the way everyone in the stadium acted not only during the “postponement” but as everyone filed out of PayCor Stadium, true class and love was shown by all.

Kudos to Coach Zac Taylor and his actions not only to be there for Coach McDermott and the Bills but also as he went to the hospital post game.

We all are passionate fans but Monday night showed there is still hope for this world with the love and compassion shown for each other. Cincinnati is lit up in Red and Blue to support Damar, the Bills and all involved in this tragic incident.

Attachments

• 61435C5D-CC3B-41CD-BE6F-B8DCB35B4B65.jpeg
    61435C5D-CC3B-41CD-BE6F-B8DCB35B4B65.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 63
  • FBC6448F-A2CA-440F-9540-395BA967ED6C.jpeg
    FBC6448F-A2CA-440F-9540-395BA967ED6C.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 81D37347-CB5A-40A5-AC7D-8ACB9A89DFC9.jpeg
    81D37347-CB5A-40A5-AC7D-8ACB9A89DFC9.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 58
A friend who is an MD offered this insight. Clarified a lot about some of the things we are hearing. Some was over my head but the majority made sense.

If his care team has placed him in a prone position while on the ventilator, it is most likely due to the fact that he has significant issues with oxygenation. Prone positioning does not have any effects on clotting. That is, the ability for oxygen to enter his body via his lungs is significantly impaired due to damage in his lungs. What that damage is from is difficult to say at this point without knowing the full details but most commonly in these circumstances, it is due to one of two things (both of which can occur at the same time). The first is a marked amount of fluid build-up in the lungs due to a failing/injured heart. When the heart cannot beat efficiently (notably the left side of the heart), fluid backs up into the pulmonary vasculature and then spills into the lung tissue itself. The second is aspiration. During a resuscitation, it is not uncommon for patients to aspirate gastric secretions/vomit into their airway and lungs. This can kick of a storm of inflammation in the lungs as well as even a pneumonia and subsequently compromise oxygenation. Overall, if the lung injury is severe enough, resulting effects can cause other organ systems to be injured/fail (notably the kidneys).

Ventilator management of patients with these types of issues can be tricky but any potential harm delivered by the ventilator (and appropriate settings by an experienced care team can minimize this harm) is far outweighed by the benefit provided by the ventilator (getting oxygen in and carbon dioxide out).

It is unlikely that his current lung issue is driven by any form of pneumothorax (hole punctured in the lung) as that is (usually) easily solved with a (or a few) chest tubes and if you subsequently have a pneumothorax with chest tubes in place, we really do not then put you into prone positioning.

It's not uncommon for folks who have a cardiac arrest and are resuscitated to then have another arrest given all of the damage that the body subsequently gets exposed to as a result of the initial arrest and lack of perfusion. As an example, high levels of acid can build up which can predispose to another arrest as can recurrent abnormal heart rhythms.

At this point, based on everything that has been shared in this thread (and it's really the only place I've been looking at for updates so I apologize if I have missed something), Damar would appear to have multiorgan system dysfunction/failure (CNS, Cardiac, Pulmonary). This is a difficult position to be in.

He also amplified this point
(I will also note that the info about a lung injury and him being able to be weaned down to 50% oxygen from 100%. This is something that I would have expected they would have been able to do fairly rapidly in an otherwise uncomplicated arrest, and the fact that they didn’t (at Cincinnati no less - which was the site of the first residency training program in emergency medicine - and are leaders in resuscitation) suggests there is more to the story. )

It’s been such a tough year for the WNY area. I really hope Damar will pull through and his family/friends/fans can heal.

Life can be so fragile, just waking up every day I think can make you so grateful for it.

Last edited:
NFL are the ones who need to come clean

Taylor said that he didn’t feel any directive on the field from anyone to start warming up.
“It was just, let’s particularly give Buffalo space to process as a team because they had not done that,” he said. “They had just been there for Damar. We’ve been through this situation a million times where there’s an injury on the field and something happens on the field and just the natural process is you give yourself a couple minutes.”
Taylor said there was no push for anything from the league.
“It was just let’s let these moments play out and see what the next step is as people get a chance to get their minds right,” he said. “And ultimately that’s what led to the decision there.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom