OT: These NBA playoffs are INSANE so far | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: These NBA playoffs are INSANE so far

After winning last night, the Pacers went from 30/1 to 40/1 to win the NBA title. What am I missing here? I know they're having struggles, but they still have home court advantage in the East. My wife is very anti-gambling, but I'm trying to talk her into letting us bet $100 for the outside chance to take home 4 grand.

FWIW, the 2008 Celtics went 7 games in the first round with Atlanta, as well.

In the last 10 days, the Pacers have gone from 40/1 to 15/1 to win it all (per VegasInsider.com). Getting them for 40/1 was the steal of the century for anyone who bet it.

eao1115 said:
In the last 10 days, the Pacers have gone from 40/1 to 15/1 to win it all (per VegasInsider.com). Getting them for 40/1 was the steal of the century for anyone who bet it.

Did your wife allow you to make the bet?

Unfortunately not. She's very cool about us spending all kinds of money going to SU away games, so I just don't push my luck with gambling.

This morning it's down to 8/1. http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/futures/
I too thought the 40:1 odds on Pacers were ridiculous. I ran the math assuming some different odds and the range of standard deviations was pretty wide, so I was convinced the odds would move strongly in one direction. I thought the only way to go was down as going higher than 40:1 just didn't make sense (Pacers are better than that and the market will realize it). Some friends of mine run an "options market" on where single-bet sports odds will go over time, much like options trading in the financial markets. In essence I bought calls on the Pacers several weeks ago. I now have $500 on the line at 8:1 but with the payout for 40:1 odds, and I only ended up spending around $45 (the premiums aren't directly proportional to the change in odds).

Anyway, thought this was a de-risked way to get a stake on Indiana...

I have a feeling that number's goin' up in the morning.

Miami Heat 6/5
San Antonio Spurs 2/1
Oklahoma City Thunder 13/2
Indiana Pacers 10/1
Los Angeles Clippers 10/1
Brooklyn Nets 125/1
Washington Wizards 200/1
Portland Blazers 200/1

Back on topic of these playoffs being amazing, they are just awesome again. The storylines, the play, the excitement. Sorry, college basketball isn't holding a torch to the NBA this year.

Watching Joe Johnson not get a shot off at the end of the game last night reminded me of Carlos Beltran watching strike 3 when he played for the Mets against the Cardinals.

I think Joe Johnson is a very good player, but for $20MM +, you need to get off a shot no matter what in that situation.

As of today:
San Antonio Spurs 8/5
Miami Heat 9/5
Oklahoma City Thunder 9/2
Indiana Pacers 6/1

That's 40/1 to 6/1 in 16 days for the Pacers.

As of today:
San Antonio Spurs 8/5
Miami Heat 9/5
Oklahoma City Thunder 9/2
Indiana Pacers 6/1

That's 40/1 to 6/1 in 16 days for the Pacers.
I'm surprised OKC's odds aren't worse; IMO losing Iblocka essentially crosses them off the list...