OT: This could be fun | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: This could be fun

When I was a kid, probably around 10, my siblings and cousins went tubing down some pretty mellow rapids in the adorondacks. For a 10 year old they were pretty daunting but that's what made it thrilling. At the end of the run was a calm pool where you could get out with your tube and head back for another round. This pool was about 4 feet deep and about 40 feet beyond this the water got much more intense. Well we were in the charge of our uncle who took all of us kids (6 or 7 of us) ages 4-13. The younger kids were suppose to go down with an older kid. Well my uncle thought it would be ok for my younger. Brother (5) to go on his own. He was about 50 feet behind my older brother on the river and he and I would wait at the pool and collect him. So my older brother and I are on the shore at the pool when our little brother rounds the bend and enter the pool. He wasn't hoping off his tube in time to easily get out. Of the water. Finally about 10 from where crape gets real he jumps off. But the water he jumps off into is over his head. Real quickly he gets pulled under ando the white waters. I panicked and didn't move. Thankfully my older brother was quick to react. He grabbed his tube, jumped in and went after him. After this I started to follow them down the river along the shore line. Every now and then id see my little brothers head bob up and I swear I thought he was going to die. Eventually my brother caught up to him, grabbed him by the shirt and ripped him up on the tube. . O was able to come into the water a bit and help them get onto land. Once on land ny little brother piker up all the water that wad in his lungs and my older brother became my hero. It was very surreal and he truly almost died.
WOW. I got shivers just reading it.

Back in 1996 or 97, I was driving across I-80 in PA heading Eastbound, about an hour this side of State College/Williamsport area. Traffic was moving slow, but was not jammed up at the time (it had been). As I come around the bend onto this long stretch of straight road there is a commotion at the U-Turn section of the median about a half mile up. As I pass by there are State Troopers and EMS vehicles all surrounding this...

Small single-engine airplane!

...that had just made an emergency landing about 5 minutes prior to me coming upon the scene. It was parked in the U-Turn. One of the damnedest things I've ever seen on a highway, and I've seen a handful of life-flight accidents in my time.

My college friends and I witnessed a car fail to make a turn at a T in a road. The car rolled three times, crashed into a tree, spun, and landed upside five feet from the house. We pull up to the scene to see two guys crawl out from the wreckage. They were fine. The driver slurred, "Did you see the rac-Coon? That rac-Coon was huge as big as a bear". We saw no raccoon. We helped flip the car over but refused to give the driver or passenger the keys. Once the police headed towards the house, we gave back the keys, and took off. We had a designated driver but several in the car were under 21 and not sober.

Here are some crazy golf-related ones. My 167 yard six iron hole in one. My 210 yards over water with 3 wood out of rough eagle. My son's 285 yard 3 wood out of the rough shot that scattered the folks on the green. Followed the next day with him scattering a guy on a two sided driving range. Had to be 350 yards between teeing areas. My long snake birdie on the 18th at Spyglass which my son eclipsed the next day with a birdie on pebble beach 17. craziness.

While a kid newspaper reporter in 1972, I covered a skyjacking in which a plane was skyjacked from White Plains to a little airport in Dutchess County (not much more than an airstrip). When we learned the plane was heading for this little airport, I got in my car and sped like crazy up the Taconic Parkway and got to the airport while the skyjacker and the crew were still inside the plane. As we all stared at the scene (no police lines or anything; this was a pretty primitive airport), the cabin door opened and the skyjacker came out holding a stewardess in front of him as a shield/hostage to go to a get-away car provided by the police.

As I stood there and watched, an FBI sharpshooter shot the skyjacker dead without hitting the stewardess. They quickly carted him away, but there was a big pool of blood on the tarmac for a long time. (The next day -- without having gotten any sleep that night -- I wrote an investigative story about the skyjacker after talking with a lot of his former neighbors in Peekskill. He was a nut named St. George who had changed his name to Von George because he idolized everything about the Nazis). Lord, I loved being a newspaper reporter.. even though it barely paid the minimum wage at the non-unionized Gannett papers where I worked.

This is the best article I could find about it on Google (not mine, but an AP story that appeared in the NO Times-Picayune the next day). http://media.nola.com/entertainment_impact_music/other/mahalia jackson 1972-01-28.pdf

Warning, Disgusting post alert.

One summer in 87 or so, I was driving on 81 south after work. Between Loretto and the res exit, on the left hand side I noticed a tail light sticking out from under a guard rail.

I pull over to investigate and notice it is a crashed motorcycle. I hear a moaning coming from the weeds. Out stumbles this bloody drunken mess of a man.

I load him in the bed of my pickup. This was before cell phones. A trucker stops, and we decide we need to CB the police for help. The guy overhears this, and takes off running. He was later found wandering the streets of Nedrow in shock.

What I'll never forgot however was that his face was missing half of one side. The left side of his jaw was just gone. He likely crashed his bike and went face first into a guardrail post.

One summer in 87 or so, I was driving on 81 south after work. Between Loretto and the res exit, on the left hand side I noticed a tail light sticking out from under a guard rail.
hen
I pull over to investigate and notice it is a crashed motorcycle. I hear a moaning coming from the weeds. Out stumbles this bloody drunken mess of a man.

I load him in the bed of my pickup. This was before cell phones. A trucker stops, and we decide we need to CB the police for help. The guy overhears this, and takes off running. He was later found wandering the streets of Nedrow in shock.

What I'll never forgot however was that his face was missing half of one side. The left side of his jaw was just gone. He likely crashed his bike and went face first into a guardrail post.
holy smokes, i'm shocked he was able to understand what you said then react to it.

Whats the craziest thing you have ever bore witness to?

Two things come to mind. First was witnessing the cesarean section birth of my triplets. The last one born, Amber, slipped out of the doctors hands at least three times just as he was lifting her out.

Second one comes from Desert Storm 91. After the war was over, we were stationed on the Persian Gulf coast. One day as we were walking, we were talking to some other guys we knew who were off duty and headed to the beach. They were just passing through the gate when an English truck ran through the crowd, crushing one of our friends against the gate post. It was an unbelievable turn of events, one that will live with us forever.

Two things come to mind. First was witnessing the cesarean section birth of my triplets. The last one born, Amber, slipped out of the doctors hands at least three times just as he was lifting her out.

Second one comes from Desert Storm 91. After the war was over, we were stationed on the Persian Gulf coast. One day as we were walking, we were talking to some other guys we knew who were off duty and headed to the beach. They were just passing through the gate when an English truck ran through the crowd, crushing one of our friends against the gate post. It was an unbelievable turn of events, one that will live with us forever.
Sorry about your friend. Really rough.

I missed an accident by about 1 minute as I was driving on the back roads north of Syracuse. As I came upon this intersection there was a K-Car off the side of the road, facing the wrong way. The yard was one of those raised yards, so it was like a 5-foot high wall. There was also a very large tree jutting out of the ground at that very spot. The car was wedged up against the tree. On the other side of the road was a guy running from his giant, banged up pick-up truck to the car on his cell phone. I slowed down to see if anyone needed help. As I got close I could see that the K-Car had been drilled on the front driver's side, and the engine looked like it had been driven up into the dashboard. The driver was pushed back halfway up and over his seat, back bending the wrong way. The pickup driver was trying to get the guy's attention and then just turned away. It was clear the man was dead. I didn't end up stopping because others were already doing so. Just an awful scene. The pickup had run the stop sign going about 60 mph and obliterated the car. It's scary to think that had it been only a minute or two later, it would have been me crossing that intersection.

I have seen several gruesome and shocking things that I don't care to repeat, but here are three crazy things I experienced in the redneck outback of upstate NY:
  • On a dare, I saw a guy headbutt a sidewalk so hard that he fractured his skull
  • This guy is the dare champion, though: at a party, he chugged an entire bottle of ketchup, then followed it up by eating a nearly full jar of mayonnaise. At another party, the same guy - for a single dollar - chugged a glass that had been passed around and about two dozen people had spit into - several of them hawked up nasty green or yellow lugies. Yet another time, he allowed someone to spread peanut butter under his arms & do a hundred jumping jacks, which he then scooped up and ate. I do believe that those of us who dreamed up and watched these dares were worse than the geek who performed them.
  • I know a guy who found a dead deer by the side of the road who took it home ("it was still warm," he assured us), carved it up with a chainsaw, and invited his friends over for a barbecue where he bragged about it - taking people into his garage to show them all the blood andf flesh covering the walls and ceiling. I don't believe you can possibly get anymore redneck than cutting up roadkill with a chainsaw.

While a kid newspaper reporter in 1972, I covered a skyjacking in which a plane was skyjacked from White Plains to a little airport in Dutchess County (not much more than an airstrip). When we learned the plane was heading for this little airport, I got in my car and sped like crazy up the Taconic Parkway and got to the airport while the skyjacker and the crew were still inside the plane. As we all stared at the scene (no police lines or anything; this was a pretty primitive airport), the cabin door opened and the skyjacker came out holding a stewardess in front of him as a shield/hostage to go to a get-away car provided by the police.

As I stood there and watched, an FBI sharpshooter shot the skyjacker dead without hitting the stewardess. They quickly carted him away, but there was a big pool of blood on the tarmac for a long time. (The next day -- without having gotten any sleep that night -- I wrote an investigative story about the skyjacker after talking with a lot of his former neighbors in Peekskill. He was a nut named St. George who had changed his name to Von George because he idolized everything about the Nazis). Lord, I loved being a newspaper reporter.. even though it barely paid the minimum wage at the non-unionized Gannett papers where I worked.

This is the best article I could find about it on Google (not mine, but an AP story that appeared in the NO Times-Picayune the next day). http://media.nola.com/entertainment_impact_music/other/mahalia jackson 1972-01-28.pdf
here's the UPI story on it with a different picture (newspaper is from Kittanning, PA, about 50 miles from Pittsburgh) - interesting how the newspaper just matter-of-factly put the photo of the body & big pool of blood on the front page above the fold
http://newspaperarchive.com/kittanning-simpson-leader-times/1972-01-27

Aug 2001 I was on a small plane for a flight from Reagan National to White Plains (heading up to Armonk for training in my new job with IBM) - after we boarded, one of the tarmac workers either walked into or got sucked into the propeller on my side - nasty

Aug 2001 I was on a small plane for a flight from Reagan National to White Plains (heading up to Armonk for training in my new job with IBM) - after we boarded, one of the tarmac workers either walked into or got sucked into the propeller on my side - nasty
What are the odds of White Plains Airport figuring in two stories here? And you're probably the only poster aside from me who's ever mentioned Armonk on this forum (I was born and raised there).

What are the odds of White Plains Airport figuring into two stories here? And you're probably the only poster aside from me who's ever mentioned Armonk on this forum (I was born and raised there).

beautiful area - that was some way to start my career with IBM which just ended its 12 year run with the recent round of layoffs announced last month

good that the crazy thing in my story didn't actually occur at WP airport, or people might want to think long and hard about flying in or out of there ;)

• I know a guy who found a dead deer by the side of the road who took it home ("it was still warm," he assured us), carved it up with a chainsaw, and invited his friends over for a barbecue where he bragged about it - taking people into his garage to show them all the blood andf flesh covering the walls and ceiling. I don't believe you can possibly get anymore redneck than cutting up roadkill with a chainsaw.

One of the Tennessee boys I used to work with actually hit a deer with his motorcycle. Finished it off with his knife, field-dressed it, and cut a slit on the front leg so that he could place the other leg into it and fashion himself a dead deer backpack. He proceeded to pop the deer on his back and jumped on his motorcycle and took it home. That's one I wish I had seen myself. The imagined visual is hysterical to me.

One of my summer jobs working at the cemetery. 1 rainy day we were assigned to clean the mausoleum which also contained the crematory. Well the crematory was running I want to make a workers open it up and uh we were there to witness the burning of a body. I can still to this day (30 plus years later) as if it just happened. There was the skull with flames coming out as well as the rest of the burning body. It was very horror movie-esque.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

This is burned in my memory forever. Around 6th grade I went to my friends house after school. As we entered the house we were yelling, joking etc as young kids do. His brother was upstairs and yelled down to us to shut-up, are "you guys crazy or something?" . We of course ignored him and continued our banter. About ten minutes later, a gunshot, and the most horrific screaming I have ever heard in my entire life. It seemed like it went on for ever. My friend ran upstairs ,I stayed at the bottom of the stairs. When he opened the bedroom door I could see the mess on the bedroom ceiling. I'll stop there.
Anyway, to this day it haunts me. He could have taken us with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom