(Other) Grad Transfer | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

(Other) Grad Transfer

I was watching the 2005 team.
I miss a Josh Pace type 3rd scorer.
Kris Joseph was like that.
Guys who weren’t shooters but drove the ball and collapsed defenses on penetration. It gave us more diversity in the offense.

I think ISO really made the offense so unwatchable we wanted shooting but we need an all around team.
Shooting, post option, penetrating SF.

Think GMac-Hak-Pace

We have the GMac in Girard.

Need a Hak and Pace.

Game is much different too. I had posted this before but our 2003 team brought two guards off the bench in Pace and Edelin and neither were shooters. Which is crazy to think about.

Fify
The best part is it's not nearly as sarcastic as it should be.. how's this for a game log? Dude was averaging over 40 mpg for a month.

1584629895454.png

Game is much different too. I had posted this before but our 2003 team brought two guards off the bench in Pace and Edelin and neither were shooters. Which is crazy to think about.
Watch Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, Dayton pretty much the entire top of college basketball.
They have complete teams.
Each has a 3 pointer shooter on their team but they have a complete offense.

You can’t play without having a shooter on your team. We just can’t play Frank Howard, Tyus Battle, Oshae Brissett, Pascal Chuwku, Marek Dolezaj as your primary offense. You need sub in shooting during the game when the offense slows down.

You don’t need shooting 100% of the time as well to the detriment of the defense.

It’s too bad we haven’t seen a complete offense for a while.

A.White?
Yep. Wasn’t meant to be a trivia question and didn’t both saying who it was because figured it was pretty obvious from those numbers, losses (sadly), and shooting.

Yep. Wasn’t meant to be a trivia question and didn’t both saying who it was because figured it was pretty obvious from those numbers, losses (sadly), and shooting.
I was just thinking about this but the
2017-2018 season was so bad offensively that I think it warped our entire fanbase into thinking we can only score the ball by having shooters and that the entire offense now needs to be completely perimeter oriented.

Which happens to coincide with a player arrival. I like having shooting for the record and the guards that played last year are good for that type of offense. It was fun to watch especially after the 2018 season offense.

I just hope we can get an all around team again.

Only when he plays us.
Funny - but he actually scored only 7 (in Syracuse) and 8 (at Pittsburgh) when they played us in 2019-20, which was below his 11.5 point average. In 2018-19, he scored only 7 and 3 against us, which was also well below his average.

I was just thinking about this but the
2017-2018 season was so bad offensively that I think it warped our entire fanbase into thinking we can only score the ball by having shooters and that the entire offense now needs to be completely perimeter oriented.

Which happens to coincide with a player arrival. I like having shooting for the record and the guards that played last year are good for that type of offense. It was fun to watch especially after the 2018 season offense.

I just hope we can get an all around team again.
It’s also a change in the game. Everyone relies mightily on the three now.

Watch Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, Dayton pretty much the entire top of college basketball.
They have complete teams.
Each has a 3 pointer shooter on their team but they have a complete offense.

You can’t play without having a shooter on your team. We just can’t play Frank Howard, Tyus Battle, Oshae Brissett, Pascal Chuwku, Marek Dolezaj as your primary offense. You need sub in shooting during the game when the offense slows down.

You don’t need shooting 100% of the time as well to the detriment of the defense.

It’s too bad we haven’t seen a complete offense for a while.
If I had to pick 9 rotational guys to form a team from the last 4 seasons since the miracle F4 run, which includes a couple of years of overall good offense and bad defense (16, 19) and vice versa (17, 18) I would go with the following:

Starters- Battle (28), Buddy (17), Hughes (30), Lydon (32), Chukwu (20).
Bench- Brissett (18), Marek (15), White (25), Gillon (15).

Clearly a true PG is lacking here and debated putting Howard/Girard in but I think Hughes is capable of playing at the 2, we just did not see it much this year. His improvement from last year was enormous in terms of ball handling.

Billy could penetrate, and as Warwick said had a shot he couldn't block.

Lol you people are too much. Projecting roster minutes right now is asinine. The roster isnt settled yet so why on earth would you project minutes and get upset. We will def be adding a transfer or two and once coaching changes start happening and recruits de commit we will look into that market as well.

Why be logical, when you can drop some H0T Takes!

Flavors would be nice, if he didn’t mind bench minutes. Though, we need a PG, and he didn’t even average 1 assist a game, but why pass with a name, and jumper like that! Gotta find the kid who is fine with a small role on a P5 contender. over starting for a not P5 team. Staff will need to work some magic, or we’re rolling with 3, and Kadary needs to be as good as I think he is.

I agree with jline, we're not gonna get a big scoring guard who is used to running the show in the transfer portal. Would be nice to get at least a scoring type pg that can distribute the ball and is OK with not playing 30 minutes a game.

I agree with jline, we're not gonna get a big scoring guard who is used to running the show in the transfer portal. Would be nice to get at least a scoring type pg that can distribute the ball and is OK with not playing 30 minutes a game.
That sounds like Kadary Richmond.

“The news broke Wednesday evening, and since Bruner has already heard from Duke, Kansas, Baylor, Maryland, Xavier and Florida State.“
Haven’t heard Syracuse involved in ANY of the newly announced transfer candidates.

Interesting name... Jordan Bruner is a great talent. He fits SU's mold of a rangy, athletic player with skills. Also, Bruner and Robert Braswell come from the Columbia, SC area and definitely played against each other in high school. Beyond that, I'm not sure how well they know each other and if that would give us any angle.

Bruner might be the best graduate transfer available besides Towns, although they're different styles. Towns is an elite shooter with ball-handling skills. What I've seen of Bruner was more back-to-the-basket offense, rebounding, and shot-blocking. He has developed some 3-point range. Last year, he hit 32% on 99 attempts.

Bottom line, Towns works because he's a SF. Bruner is a PF. I'm not sure how he would fit on this team with Dolezaj here. As far as SU's involvement with transfers, maybe they're waiting to see how things shake out with Towns/Tape. If they lose out on one or both, I believe they'll try for other players at some poiint.

We have 10 players. We’ve played seasons with less. 2003 for example.

Im sure they’ll take a grad transfer if he is a likely contributor, but I don’t think they’re in a position where they need bodies just to have them. Maybe at guard, it would be nice to have 1 more.

But going into a season with 10 scholarship players is hardly unprecedented, even before sanctions. 2003 for example, we had a bunch of guys that weren’t very good transfer out before that like Greg Davis and James Thues. Deshaun Williams left. We moved Duany to guard, otherwise all we had was GMac, Pace, and a suspended for the first 12 games Edelin.
fewer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom