(Other) Grad Transfer | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

(Other) Grad Transfer

Agreed. They’d be a great forward combo in 1999. Like Blackwell and Brown.

But in 2020, we need at least one of them to be a shooter.
his improved ft shooting bodes well for his deep shooting. i wouldn't be surprised to see him take 50-60 threes next year.
but if not, i'm confident marek can at least make midrange shots and not have to clog the lane. he'll cut teams apart from the top of the lane, able to find boo & q inside, the mighty whities outside and occassionaly make a drive or a 15 footer of his own

his improved ft shooting bodes well for his deep shooting. i wouldn't be surprised to see him take 50-60 threes next year.
but if not, i'm confident marek can at least make midrange shots and not have to clog the lane. he'll cut teams apart from the top of the lane, able to find boo & q inside, the mighty whities outside and occassionaly make a drive or a 15 footer of his own

He was starting to hit the 3 as a soph. I’m hoping it was the summer hand injury that set him back from outside this year.

Don’t we have 11 including Hughes? 10 without him? Article says “10, including Hughes”.

Marek
Sidibe
Buddy
Braswell
Girard
Guerrier
Edwards
Bol Ajak
Richmond
Newton

10 without Hughes, yes.

10 without Hughes, yes.

Yeah, I don’t understand the panic from a lot of fans. We’re really not short handed at all. We’ll play 8.5 early in the season, whittled down to 7.5 for most of the year and 6.5-7 for the “big” games, and we’ve got 5 on 5 in practice.

We could use another guard who knows his role, for depth purposes and spot minutes...but does that even exist anymore? Washington seemed ideal for that and even he wanted more.

Don’t we have 11 including Hughes? 10 without him? Article says “10, including Hughes”.

Marek
Sidibe
Buddy
Braswell
Girard
Guerrier
Edwards
Bol Ajak
Richmond
Newton

I would take that as Hughes is gone.

Yeah, I don’t understand the panic from a lot of fans. We’re really not short handed at all. We’ll play 8.5 early in the season, whittled down to 7.5 for most of the year and 6.5-7 for the “big” games, and we’ve got 5 on 5 in practice.

We could use another guard who knows his role, for depth purposes and spot minutes...but does that even exist anymore? Washington seemed ideal for that and even he wanted more.
The panic is our roster isn’t good enough to compete for a conference championship.

If we had a roster full of NBA prospects and we were only at 10 it wouldn’t be as bad.
How do we recruit 2021 when we have an elite 2022 commit.
We need talent. We should be looking at a transfer for 2021. Even if they have to sit out next year.

My concern is not numbers but talent. You don't bring in a couple guys for depth. You bring them in because they give you something better than what you already have. Towns at small forward is better than Guerrier. Giving Tape minutes at center is better next year than giving them to Edwards or Ajak.
We are probably losing our best player from a team that was not even close to the bubble. Even across the board improvement from our returnees is not enough. There is no guarantee of landing an impact transfer, but for pete's sake why would you not even try?

Part of what I hate about running with so few scholarship players is that it means you're going to have less competitive practices, and your second line guys in practice are pretty likely to play out of position.

Part of what I hate about running with so few scholarship players is that it means you're going to have less competitive practices, and your second line guys in practice are pretty likely to play out of position.
Yeah I'm replying to my own post, in the days of Coronavirus, who gives a fig?

Anyway, this is our second string practice lineup right now.

PG - Richmond
2G - Bid Bad Bobby Braswell
SF - Woody
PF - Ajak/Edwards
C - Edwards/Ajak

Tell me, how close does that approximate what we'll see lineup wise from any of our opponents?

My concern is not numbers but talent. You don't bring in a couple guys for depth. You bring them in because they give you something better than what you already have. Towns at small forward is better than Guerrier. Giving Tape minutes at center is better next year than giving them to Edwards or Ajak.
We are probably losing our best player from a team that was not even close to the bubble. Even across the board improvement from our returnees is not enough. There is no guarantee of landing an impact transfer, but for pete's sake why would you not even try?

We...did try for Towns. He’s not coming. I’m not exactly sure what “trying” means at the moment though - nobody can visit right now anyways.

Maybe the Columbia kid wants a clear starting spot and 30 mpg?

Id say the greatest roster needs are: a SF (at least 6’6-6’7) with guard skills. A guy like that would have a good chance to start.

A backup PG...that’s going to have to accept a role as the 4th guard. We aren’t demoting Girard or looking for Kadary to ride the bench(because then he’ll probably just leave too).

PG - Richmond
SF - Woody
PF - Ajak/Edwards
C - Edwards/Ajak

Tell me, how close does that approximate what we'll see lineup wise from any of our opponents?

Yeah, but with that second team...imagine the LENGTH in the ZONE.

I'm kinda in to seeing that lineup in a real game tbh.

Ditto.

Would be kinda cool if all those guys returned the following season - now THAT would probably be a pretty sick lineup.

I'm kinda in to seeing that lineup in a real game tbh.

We’d be back to 2018 where we’re big and can defend(once people know what they’re doing), but our offense consists of passing the ball and dribbling aimlessly on the perimeter for 30 seconds before Kadary plays the Battle role and does his best Kobe move to try to get enough space to hit an off balance 20 foot off the dribble jumper at the buzzer.

We...did try for Towns. He’s not coming. I’m not exactly sure what “trying” means at the moment though - nobody can visit right now anyways.
Maybe the Columbia kid wants a clear starting spot and 30 mpg?

All I'm saying is if those guys don't come, keep trying. There are a lot of options in the transfer portal. Duke is way more loaded than SU and even they're trying. And I don't know what trying means right now either. But other schools are getting active, making contacts, and possibly talking about what's gonna happen after the world gets back to normal. All those portal kids are going somewhere eventually. To shut things down because we missed out on Towns/Tape or because recruiting is currently suspended makes little sense.

PG - Richmond
SF - Woody
PF - Ajak/Edwards
C - Edwards/Ajak

Completely agree. Imagine the value of Jalen Carey pressuring Joe every day in practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom