other than Battle... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

other than Battle...

Why?

Battle will likely average 17+ per game and TT will be on his heels probably around 15+ per game. Why do Brisset and Moyer have to be 'the guys'? Battle is almost definitely a lotto pick and TT looks like a first rounder, potential lotto pick.

If Battle was lottery pick material, he wouldn't be coming back for next year.

TT has a looooong way to go to get into the 1st round. The kid has some nice skills but he's not an NBA level athlete.

I assume Sidibe is supposed to fill the Rick Jackson need. He played at a big time HS program (same school as Ennis) and put up some nice numbers against good competition so there's potential there. But we need a PG and a SF who is a 3-pt shooter for next season. desperately. If we get Tucker and Ayala great.
If not, it's the grad transfer route and the pickings look slim there.

Huh?
Had any of us even heard of, or knew of the existence of John Gillon or Andrew White III at this time last year??

We didn't get Gillon until May, and White felt like October by the time he finally signed on the line which is dotted.

Huh?
Had any of us even heard of, or knew of the existence of John Gillon or Andrew White III at this time last year??

We didn't get Gillon until May, and White felt like October by the time he finally signed on the line which is dotted.

Yes, saw Gillon play against UNLV and drop some bombs against them in 15-16. Andrew White was a highly regarded recruit who went to Kansas and had a great year before he came here.

If Battle was lottery pick material, he wouldn't be coming back for next year.

TT has a looooong way to go to get into the 1st round. The kid has some nice skills but he's not an NBA level athlete.

He was hampered by injury for most of the season. The way he played later in the season was lottery pick level for a frosh. So, no.

TT doesn't have as long to go as you think. He's not hobbling around in cement shoes. He moves fluidly on offense and has every offensive skill NBA scouts look for in a player with his size. He looked slow on defense largely because he didn't know what the heck he was doing. He's not an amazing athlete but he's athletic enough.

He was hampered by injury for most of the season. The way he played later in the season was lottery pick level for a frosh. So, no.

If he played at lottery pick level for any part of the season, he'd be picked in the lottery this year. Duh.

To be fair nobody thought Dion Waiters would be a lottery pick preseason 2012.

Battle can take a Waiters like leap and move into the first round next year and to be honest we will need it.

To be fair nobody thought Dion Waiters would be a lottery pick preseason 2012.

Battle can take a Waiters like leap and move into the first round next year and to be honest we will need it.

Thing is a school like Miami has two players as good if not better than Battle next year in Bruce Brown and Lonnie Walker. We just have a significant talent gap right now.

Thing is a school like Miami has two players as good if not better than Battle next year in Bruce Brown and Lonnie Walker. We just have a significant talent gap right now.

The gap isn't that significant. Battle's as good as Brown or better. Walker's legit, but TT is legit, too. We have a talent gap with Duke and UNC, not with anybody else in the ACC.

The gap isn't that significant. Battle's as good as Brown or better. Walker's legit, but TT is legit, too. We have a talent gap with Duke and UNC, not with anybody else in the ACC.

Louisville is projected as the best team in the conference.

I can't believe A) how much time I wasted on this (which is, admittedly, woefully simple) and B) how difficult it is to find the conference totals for points scored and opponents scored for each team for each season*, which I didn't and that kills some of the thunder. Anyway, using basketball pythag to get an idea for total points needed next season. Syracuse scored 1,370 points in conference last season and gave up 1,357. This gives them an expected win-loss record of .533. They finished 10-8 for winning % of ... .555. They probably could have a lost one more, finishing 9-9, but they pulled a couple of late minute comebacks off. Close enough. That was okay enough for a top-7 finish tied with three other teams and 1 loss away from finishing 10th.

Let's say Brooky is right and the defense is just killing it next season. We'll say that they improve by 10% (or 130 fewer total points allowed), which puts them slightly better than the defense of the previous two seasons (15-16 and 14-15)**. Anyway, in order to be a top-5 team, they'll need say 11 wins, 12 would be better, but generally 11 wins gets you top-5 in the ACC. Using Basketball pythag, that means that with a defense that allows around 1220 points they need to score around 1,262 points. Or, given 18 games, about 70 points per game.

Here were the top-7 who accounted for 99.7% of Syracuse conference points last season (~75.2 ppg):
1) Andrew White III 20.1
2 )Tyler Lydon 13.8
3) John Gillon 12.5
4) Tyus Battle 12.4
5) Taurean Thompson 8.8
6) Tyler Roberson 5.3
7) Franklin Howard 2.8

In order to meet their goals of 11 wins, SU needs to play good-to-great defense and average around 67.7 ppg with the following crew of misfit toys:
1) Tyus Battle (SG) 18 ppg?
2) Taurean Thompson 14 ppg
3) Franklin Howard (PG) 9.1 (LOL, but that's similar to a Junior Scoop and it would be a huge jump and one that probably hasn't happened before or often)
4) Matt Moyer (PF) 6.1
6) Brissett (SF/PF) 4.8
5) Sidibe (C) 5.0 (better than a frosh Etan Thomas?)
7) Chukwu (C) 2.5 in limited minutes

That gets the team to around 59.5 ppg or about 150 points shy of their goal. They'd need only another 8.3 ppg from two additional players not yet named, but at least one should have the ability to jump in and score. I could see it, but the defense needs to be stellar and I can't remember a lot of great freshman defenders. I'd rather do this with total points, but it's a step in the right direction. It depends a ton on Howard being a competent player for a good chunk of minutes, which is something that he hasn't been shown at all.

*I really wanted to adjust total points based on conference totals, but alas, I can't (e.g, SU's defense was xx% better than the average ACC team, etc). So these are unadjusted.
** Given that scoring has increased throughout basketball and team totals are generally up, I don't think we'll see an SU team hold opponents to less than 1,150 conference points anytime soon.
That's a fascinating post in an interesting thread.

All I will add is this: if Thompson plays as much as I anticipate he will on an offensively challenged team and becomes a legitimate 3-point threat, he may score upwards of 18 ppg.

TT doesn't have as long to go as you think. He's not hobbling around in cement shoes. He moves fluidly on offense and has every offensive skill NBA scouts look for in a player with his size. He looked slow on defense largely because he didn't know what the heck he was doing. He's not an amazing athlete but he's athletic enough.

I do like TT's skills for sure but I think he does move around "in cement shoes" quite often even on offense. I don't think we can count on him to score against bigger bodies inside. He plays below the rim. I won't go into the defense. I think the best chance for him to sniff the NBA is to improve his range and become a legit stretch 4. I could see it! He's a finesse guy.

After looking over who has declared so far I would rank the ACC rosters like this before any new signees:

1. Louisville
2. Duke
3. Miami
4. Notre Dame
5. UNC
6. VPI
7. Georgia Tech
8. UVA
9. Wake Forest
10. Syracuse
11. FSU
12. NC State