other than Battle... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

other than Battle...

The bet is that the per 40 averages of FH and HW are better than Gillon? Or if Ayala comes here he'll be better than Gillon was?

What's the bet? You name the price and mark me down.

Bet: Any one of Howard, Washington, or Ayala has better per 40 numbers in points and assists for the season than Gillon did.

To be eligible, the player must average at least 15mpg in conference play (so as not to skew the per 40 #'s in my favor due to small sample size against bad teams). A season ending injury or suspension to a player - who meets the 15mpg criteria - before 9 conference games are played makes the bet null and void.

If the numbers are close (points and assists within 1, with one above and one below Gillon's per 40 averages), A/TO ratio will be the deciding factor.

Wager: After the season is completed, the loser must sport a signature of the winner's choosing - so long as it's not ban-worthy, of course - until the Orange Madness the following season.

Deal? Multiple people can get on two3zone's side of the bet if they wish, but you'll have to come up with some consensus on what will go in the sig so I don't end up with a signature half a page long if I lose.

Bet: Any one of Howard, Washington, or Ayala has better per 40 numbers in points and assists for the season than Gillon did.

To be eligible, the player must average at least 15mpg in conference play (so as not to skew the per 40 #'s in my favor due to small sample size against bad teams). A season ending injury or suspension to a player - who meets the 15mpg criteria - before 9 conference games are played makes the bet null and void.

If the numbers are close (points and assists within 1, with one above and one below Gillon's per 40 averages), A/TO ratio will be the deciding factor.

Wager: After the season is completed, the loser must sport a signature of the winner's choosing - so long as it's not ban-worthy, of course - until the Orange Madness the following season.

Deal? Multiple people can get on two3zone's side of the bet if they wish, but you'll have to come up with some consensus on what will go in the sig so I don't end up with a signature half a page long if I lose.

I didn't know this site had signatures and was looking at the financial end. How about if you win you donate $100 to Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Syracusefan's name, and I'll do the same to the cause of your choice? The terms look good though.

Where were Brissett* and Moyer highly rated? Last I saw Moyer was rated 75th or around there, Brissett in the 50s. Ayala i think is in the 80s.

These guys aren't Battle and Malichi, we can hope for them to be a Lydon but that doesn't happen more times that it does.

They aren't, but that doesn't mean they can't compete at a high level. I'm really high on the team's defensive potential. Both guys were built to play in our zone. We didn't have that with White at forward and Lydon out of position.

Offense gets all the glory. It's the reason so many misjudged our potential last season. They looked at how much we could score, not how well we could stop even mediocre teams from scoring. Defense was an afterthought all season. This season will probably place defense back in the forefront of the players' minds.

Basically, this is my justification for thinking we won't suck. The defense this season will be nearly as good as the offense was last season. The offense this season will be better than the defense was last season.

They aren't, but that doesn't mean they can't compete at a high level. I'm really high on the team's defensive potential. Both guys were built to play in our zone. We didn't have that with White at forward and Lydon out of position.

Offense gets all the glory. It's the reason so many misjudged our potential last season. They looked at how much we could score, not how well we could stop even mediocre teams from scoring. Defense was an afterthought all season. This season will probably place defense back in the forefront of the players' minds.

Basically, this is my justification for thinking we won't suck. The defense this season will be nearly as good as the offense was last season. The offense this season will be better than the defense was last season.

How many wins?

I didn't know this site had signatures and was looking at the financial end. How about if you win you donate $100 to Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Syracusefan's name, and I'll do the same to the cause of your choice? The terms look good though.

With a baby on the way in a couple months and relocation expenses in my future, I could swing a $20 bet if you want go that route.

Note: I'm not counting on anything from Chukwu and expect him to play only a couple of minutes a game. Insert Sidibe.

I agree with Brooky and others about the D. It can't get worse and (despite what JB said about Lydon's ability) when we had Lydon, TT, or Coleman in there at C we were screwed pretty much on D. All of them, including Lydon, were terrible at being aware of and defending lobs especially. The coaches will make sure TT gets better at that end. Sidibe and Brissett will be just fine on D, imo, whenever they are in the game. I'm not sure what to expect from Moyer, frankly.

Note: I'm not counting on anything from Chukwu and expect him to play only a couple of minutes a game. Insert Sidibe.

I agree with Brooky and others about the D. It can't get worse and (despite what JB said about Lydon's ability) when we had Lydon, TT, or Coleman in there at C we were screwed pretty much on D. All of them, including Lydon, were terrible at being aware of and defending lobs especially. The coaches will make sure TT gets better at that end. Sidibe and Brissett will be just fine on D, imo, whenever they are in the game. I'm not sure what to expect from Moyer, frankly.

Does anyone disagree about the D sucking last year?

Does anyone disagree about the D sucking last year?

Are there? I do think it should be much better but who knows about the offense. I have no idea how that will translate to W/Ls.

Lydon had certain games against teams that didn't have big beefy dudes where he dominated the paint blocking shots(FSU and UVA come to mind). TT can absolutely be worse there. We need Sidibe or Chukwu to solidify that spot to be good defensively.

Lydon had certain games against teams that didn't have big beefy dudes where he dominated the paint blocking shots(FSU and UVA come to mind). TT can absolutely be worse there. We need Sidibe or Chukwu to solidify that spot to be good defensively.

Hopefully TT will be playing PF rather than C. He has the offensive game for PF. It's going to depend on whether or not he can get to the corners on D. His defense scares me more than anything about next year's team. It alone could determine the outcome of the season.

Hopefully TT will be playing PF rather than C. He has the offensive game for PF. It's going to depend on whether or not he can get to the corners on D. His defense scares me more than anything about next year's team. It alone could determine the outcome of the season.

Hate to say this, but I almost think TT has to play the 5 by default. Moyer / Brisset running 4 is more likely than Chukwu [barring massive improvement] / Sidibe starting at 5.

Could be in for another long year defensively.

Hate to say this, but I almost think TT has to play the 5 by default. Moyer / Brisset running 4 is more likely than Chukwu [barring massive improvement] / Sidibe starting at 5.

Could be in for another long year defensively.

That's my worry to go along with the much worse offense.

I can't believe A) how much time I wasted on this (which is, admittedly, woefully simple) and B) how difficult it is to find the conference totals for points scored and opponents scored for each team for each season*, which I didn't and that kills some of the thunder. Anyway, using basketball pythag to get an idea for total points needed next season. Syracuse scored 1,370 points in conference last season and gave up 1,357. This gives them an expected win-loss record of .533. They finished 10-8 for winning % of ... .555. They probably could have a lost one more, finishing 9-9, but they pulled a couple of late minute comebacks off. Close enough. That was okay enough for a top-7 finish tied with three other teams and 1 loss away from finishing 10th.

Let's say Brooky is right and the defense is just killing it next season. We'll say that they improve by 10% (or 130 fewer total points allowed), which puts them slightly better than the defense of the previous two seasons (15-16 and 14-15)**. Anyway, in order to be a top-5 team, they'll need say 11 wins, 12 would be better, but generally 11 wins gets you top-5 in the ACC. Using Basketball pythag, that means that with a defense that allows around 1220 points they need to score around 1,262 points. Or, given 18 games, about 70 points per game.

Here were the top-7 who accounted for 99.7% of Syracuse conference points last season (~75.2 ppg):
1) Andrew White III 20.1
2 )Tyler Lydon 13.8
3) John Gillon 12.5
4) Tyus Battle 12.4
5) Taurean Thompson 8.8
6) Tyler Roberson 5.3
7) Franklin Howard 2.8

In order to meet their goals of 11 wins, SU needs to play good-to-great defense and average around 67.7 ppg with the following crew of misfit toys:
1) Tyus Battle (SG) 18 ppg?
2) Taurean Thompson 14 ppg
3) Franklin Howard (PG) 9.1 (LOL, but that's similar to a Junior Scoop and it would be a huge jump and one that probably hasn't happened before or often)
4) Matt Moyer (PF) 6.1
6) Brissett (SF/PF) 4.8
5) Sidibe (C) 5.0 (better than a frosh Etan Thomas?)
7) Chukwu (C) 2.5 in limited minutes

That gets the team to around 59.5 ppg or about 150 points shy of their goal. They'd need only another 8.3 ppg from two additional players not yet named, but at least one should have the ability to jump in and score. I could see it, but the defense needs to be stellar and I can't remember a lot of great freshman defenders. I'd rather do this with total points, but it's a step in the right direction. It depends a ton on Howard being a competent player for a good chunk of minutes, which is something that he hasn't been shown at all.

*I really wanted to adjust total points based on conference totals, but alas, I can't (e.g, SU's defense was xx% better than the average ACC team, etc). So these are unadjusted.
** Given that scoring has increased throughout basketball and team totals are generally up, I don't think we'll see an SU team hold opponents to less than 1,150 conference points anytime soon.

The staff should be working on recruiting a legit PG and a legit Big in the mold of Rick Jackson.

To the Frank Howard can become Scoop Jardine crowd

People, I watched and got frustrated with Scoop Jardine. I got know Scoop Jardine. Scoop Jardine was a favorite of mine.
Frank Howard, you're no Scoop Jardine.

Also, it's tough to project Battle because he scored a ton of points as a freshman and of the guys that have done similar at SU, only three were better him and stayed for another year (Flynn, Gmac, and Devo). And they only increased their totals by 10-20% which would put Battle at around 14.8 ppg.

3) Franklin Howard (PG) 9.1 (LOL, but that's similar to a Junior Scoop and it would be a huge jump and one that probably hasn't happened before or often)
it's not as far fetched as you think . . . his per 40 minute average in conference play was 9.8 ppg; subtract 20% to make it per 32 minutes and you are at 7.8 ppg. Factor in a modest improvement from soph to junior season and 9 ppg in 32 minutes is not an unreasonable goal

it's not as far fetched as you think . . . his per 40 minute average was 9.8 ppg; subtract 20% to make it per 32 minutes and you are at 7.8 ppg. Factor in a modest improvement from soph to junior season and 9 ppg in 32 minutes is not an unreasonable goal
Overall, his Soph PER40 numbers are worse than freshman Kaleb Joseph's. He needs to be more efficient scoring (he won't get 8-10 shots per game with a .37 0 FG% and he needs to cut down on TOs and PFs. Like I said, he needs to improve a lot and show he can play sustained minutes, which he hasn't yet. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he has one helluva hill to climb.

The staff should be working on recruiting a legit PG and a legit Big in the mold of Rick Jackson.

To the Frank Howard can become Scoop Jardine crowd

People, I watched and got frustrated with Scoop Jardine. I got know Scoop Jardine. Scoop Jardine was a favorite of mine.
Frank Howard, you're no Scoop Jardine.
I assume Sidibe is supposed to fill the Rick Jackson need. He played at a big time HS program (same school as Ennis) and put up some nice numbers against good competition so there's potential there. But we need a PG and a SF who is a 3-pt shooter for next season. desperately. If we get Tucker and Ayala great. If not, it's the grad transfer route and the pickings look slim there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom