Our schedule seems fairly challenging after all | Syracusefan.com

Our schedule seems fairly challenging after all

swish7

All Conference
Despite all the preseason talk, we have some challenges ahead.
  1. 3-0 - 4 teams
  2. 2-1 - 3 teams
  3. 1-2 or 1-1 - 3 teams
7 teams w winning records. Some of the 1 win teams had close losses to good teams. More good than bad. We're getting a lot of press. Teams will be gunning for us.

Miamis schedule, by comparison is soft. They should be embarrassed. 'Run FL', lol.

We have a long ways to go.

I was wondering if after us and Miami if there are any decent teams in the ACC. Some look competitive, but few if any look unbeatable.

Comparatively it is still easier than prior years or next year. It was only "weak" when we had Army. The change to at UNLV made it less so. That being said while they are a quality team, we don't play a P4 OOC this year. That is more physically taxing which impacts future games.

1. 3-0 - 4 teams
  2. 2-1 - 3 teams
  3. 1-2 or 1-1 - 3 teams
7 teams w winning records. Some of the 1 win teams had close losses to good teams. More good than bad. We're getting a lot of press. Teams will be gunning for us.

Miamis schedule, by comparison is soft. They should be embarrassed. 'Run FL', lol.

The schedule is not as hard as the last couple because it doesn’t have a a series of high end teams that ends up beating the team up physically along with the losses and there was a substantial difference in talent, even before injuries were taken into account.

Other than Miami it’s all peer programs.

The schedule is not as hard as the last couple because it doesn’t have a a series of high end teams that ends up beating the team up physically along with the losses and there was a substantial difference in talent, even before injuries were taken into account.

Other than Miami it’s all peer programs.
Agreed. My point is that it isn't as easy as people think..

As the season plays out, the quality of our opponents looks better and better.

Agreed. My point is that it isn't as easy as people think..

As the season plays out, the quality of our opponents looks better and better.
Isn’t that true about most teams? They put the lesser opponents at the beginning of the schedule almost as preseason games before they get to their tougher conference games.

Isn’t that true about most teams? They put the lesser opponents at the beginning of the schedule almost as preseason games before they get to their tougher conference games.
Don't know. It took me 5 minutes to ponder this about 1 team & look at their opponents records and the opponents opponents records.

I don't think we should feel any sense of guilt about having an 'easy' schedule. Also, shouldn't take anyone lightly.

Our schedule has only one gimme the last 8 games: U Conn. the other 7 are all tough and 5 of those are away from the JMA. Give me FSU and SMU instead of Pitt and BC. No one would have said that before the season. Cal looks really tough.

We are still TBD on how good we are. Let's see how we do vs Stanford and at UNLV first
I didn’t mean to imply that we were the second best team in the league right now. I guess my bigger point is that based on the games that have been played so far this year, I give SU a chance against anyone on the schedule. No one looks unbeatable. Based on a small sample size, Miami might be the exception.

ACC competitors:
Tier 1: Miami, Louisville, Clemson
Tier 2: Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Cal, Georgia Tech
Tier 3: UNC, Duke, SMU

Non-competitors:
VA Tech, NC State, Virginia, Wake Forest, Stanford, Florida State

ACC competitors:

Non-competitors:
50% of those teams will shift positions by the end of the year.

It’s concerning how quickly some assume Stanford and UNLV are just going to roll over.
As long as the team doesn’t think that. With that being said, Stanford might be the worst team in the conference and we have them at home on a Friday night. Hopefully with this staff and with the kids who were on the team in 2022 and were part of it we won’t have a repeat of that season vs UVA. I don’t think we will. UNLV is a big test, everyone should be clear on that

Our schedule has only one gimme the last 8 games: U Conn. the other 7 are all tough and 5 of those are away from the JMA. Give me FSU and SMU instead of Pitt and BC. No one would have said that before the season. Cal looks really tough.
This♤♤

ACC competitors:

Non-competitors:
VA Tech, NC State, Virginia, Wake Forest, Stanford

1. 3-0 - 4 teams
  2. 2-1 - 3 teams
  3. 1-2 or 1-1 - 3 teams

IMO, we need to get good on all facets of the game. Week 1, poor run defense, week 2 atrocious special teams. Offense and Kyle been putting on a show. Imagine if we great efforts from all 3 groups in a game, then we should see the full potential. Again we played 2 teams and beat them both and they are both 2-1 now, but the FSU win now looks like a nothing win for GT.

ACC competitors:

Non-competitors:
Georgia Tech could beat Louisville Saturday and put us and Georgia Tech in that first tier with them. Cal in second tier, based on record only. They are non-competitor. Duke is a non-competitor, bad performances against bad teams, despite their record. Really not sure about Pittsburgh or North Carolina. Both could go up or down. Virginia Tech and NC state could go up.

if I had to rate our remaining conference games, I would do it as follows:

1. Miami. DUH

2. NC State. They have not looked good, but they are at home, and the most hostile road environment we will face, and last year they started off poorly and wound up being a good team. They were totally different team in the second-half yesterday and may have found something. Preseason they were picked to be better and have the most talent of our remaking teams Other than Miami.

3. BC. it’s on the road and Castellanos scares the crap out of me, but if our record is still strong, a third of the crowd will be Syracuse and they will not run over us this year like other times they’ve had good teams.

4A. Virginia Tech. Last year they stated out TERRIBLY and by the time we played them, they were the better team. They have more returning production than team in the country, Drones has been a proven QB, and like NC State, could be dangerous if they turn it around..

4B. Pitt. They could easily be 5-1 or 6-0 when we play. That will give them confidence. Kent state is terrible and two below average teams in Cincinnati and WV gifted them wins with soft 4th q defense. but they will be home, confident, and appear to have some offensive ability.

6. Cal. Only because it’s on the road.

7. Stanford. Would have switched this game with Cal if Cal was home and Stanford was on the road. weak pass defense spells trouble for them.

I would probably put UNLV somewhere around Pitt or VT. They get credit for winning two big 12 games But Kansas over hyped.

Last edited:
Maybe the defense, but the whole offense is fairly proven. Even the line.
I agree with this. Much improvement from the defense week one to week two. Our offense is undeniably good. The yards we are putting up or not by accident Or vs tomato cans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom