Over/under 8.5 scholarship players next year | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Over/under 8.5 scholarship players next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Su got selected for the last 3 tournaments and based on seeding has been determined to be a top 40 team.
But SU would not have been selected for the tournament had they had one last year.

But SU would not have been selected for the tournament had they had one last year.
Maybe, maybe not.

The besr game they played all year was the last game. I'm fairly certain the whole squad was optimistic about playing Louisville. Win that game, and they are in the semi-finals. Who knows?

Who cares about rankings in February?

Are you kidding?

25 teams manage to get ranked its not that hard. The 3/4 pole of a season is a good barometer for how healthy your program is since the NCAA tournament is single elimination and can be flukey. The fact that we are 0/7 on having good seasons 3/4 of the way through the season is terrible.

Not to mention every tournament run has come when we are close to 50/50 on selection Sunday. Since 2014 only the year we lost first round to Baylor were we not sweating getting a bid. 3 weeks ago when the bracket was 3/4 of the way released everyone thought we were out.

Are you kidding?

25 teams manage to get ranked its not that hard. The 3/4 pole of a season is a good barometer for how healthy your program is since the NCAA tournament is single elimination and can be flukey. The fact that we are 0/7 on having good seasons 3/4 of the way through the season is terrible.

Not to mention every tournament run has come when we are close to 50/50 on selection Sunday. Since 2014 only the year we lost first round to Baylor were we not sweating getting a bid. 3 weeks ago when the bracket was 3/4 of the way released everyone thought we were out.

No, I'm not kidding. Would you rather be ranked in the February poll or the final poll of the season? There's nothing flukey about playing your best basketball in the NCAA tournament. FF run in 2016, Sweet 16 runs in 2018 and this past season. Look at UCLA. Think anyone cares they barely made the tournament?

No, I'm not kidding. Would you rather be ranked in the February poll or the final poll of the season? There's nothing flukey about playing your best basketball in the NCAA tournament. FF run in 2016, Sweet 16 runs in 2018 and this past season. Look at UCLA. Think anyone cares they barely made the tournament?
I care about overall picture. Start to finish. That is it. Take snippets if you want October to march. What do we do and look like.

I care about overall picture. Start to finish. That is it. Take snippets if you want October to march. What do we do and look like.

OK. The overall picture this year is a Sweet 16 and maybe a Top 25 ranking. Cool?

The final ranking is only really indicative of how well you played in the tournament. So while it's great to get the pub of a sweet 16, you can't conflate that with being consistently ranked throughout the year, imho.

We played well that last few weeks of the season. Don’t think anyone expected a Top 25 season once we lost Sidibe in game 1. I’ll take a Sweet 16 run after playing well at the end of the season.

We played well that last few weeks of the season. Don’t think anyone expected a Top 25 season once we lost Sidibe in game 1. I’ll take a Sweet 16 run after playing well at the end of the season.
What are your expectations for the program at whole?

Sidibe is not the difference between a top 25 and what we were if the program is probably stocked.

What are you expectations next season?

We are not Kansas and never will be. Did you watch Kansas this season? Their talent level has dropped off by a lot. Look at our peers. Michigan State, UConn, Louisville, Arizona, Indiana, UCLA. Great programs that have been up and down, just like Syracuse. Even UNC and Duke have struggled recently. I wouldn't consider a Sweet 16 a downward spiral.
Agreed. We’ve had incredible post-season success over the past decade-plus. 3 Sweet 16s and a Final Four over the last 5 tourneys alone. But that doesn’t absolve the mostly mediocre regular season results since year 2 in the ACC. JB needs to get us back to being in the top 4 of the conference and a regular top 25 team. But that’s gonna be harder after losing a dynamic PG like Kadary, who along with Buddy, Benny and Quincy could have gotten us back into the upper echelon.

Last edited:
No. Kadary is and was better than all of them. What is this spin? And last years class was clearly better than their ranking.

If he ends up at FSU I hope JB prays we have A better record than them, because if he doesn’t he will deserve all the criticism coming.
I have a bad feeling the criticism over losing Kadary is gonna dog Cuse and JB ALL next season. He’s gonna have a great career no matter where he goes. And while I do think we’ll have a good team next season and will get a couple of impact transfers, fans are gonna keep saying, “look how much better we’d be with Kadary on the roster. We could have won a championship with him.” Talk radio and Twitter will be full of people saying that, and I can see some explosive JB press conferences next season. Watch out!

I have a bad feeling the criticism over losing Kadary is gonna dog Cuse and JB ALL next season. He’s gonna have a great season no matter where he goes. And while I do think we’ll have a good team next season and will get a couple of impact transfers, fans are gonna keep saying, “look how much better we’d be with Kadary on the roster. We could have won a championship with him.” Talk radio and Twitter will be full of people saying that, and I can see some explosive JB press conferences next season. Watch out!
If we are winning people will shut up.

If we are grinding to make the tournament this is probably right.

What are your expectations for the program at whole?

Sidibe is not the difference between a top 25 and what we were if the program is probably stocked.

What are you expectations next season?
My expectations are based on the players we have on the roster each season. Sidibe started to play well at the end of last year. So with him back I expected a Top 25 team. With him out, no so much. What did you expect with our starting center out for the season?

My expectations are based on the players we have on the roster each season. Sidibe started to play well at the end of last year. So with him back I expected a Top 25 team. With him out, no so much. What did you expect with our starting center out for the season?
I expect Syracuse every single season or atleast 8 of out 10 should have 2 bigs on their roster so that when a non-NBA talent big gets hurt it doesn’t destroy our season.

I expect Syracuse to have a fully stocked roster so that an injury to
A non-NBA roster doesn’t cause us
To have to play a lot of players out of position.

I don’t expect to go the Final Four but once in a decade.
I expect to be top 25 every other season and competing for top 4 seeds in the NCAAT and top 4 ACC.

Those aren’t hard expectations.

I expect Syracuse every single season or atleast 8 of out 10 should have 2 bigs on their roster so that when a non-NBA talent big gets hurt it doesn’t destroy our season.

I expect Syracuse to have a fully stocked roster so that an injury to
A non-NBA roster doesn’t cause us
To have to play a lot of players out of position.

I don’t expect to go the Final Four but once in a decade.
I expect to be top 25 every other season and competing for top 4 seeds in the NCAAT and top 4 ACC.

Those aren’t hard expectations.

Then you will be disappointed a lot.

Then you will be disappointed a lot.
With the combination of the Dome + size of fanbase + being in the ACC + basketball revenues relative to other hoops programs what Alsacs laid out is pretty reasonable.

Basically we recruit a legitimate roster, place guys in the NBA somewhat regularly, and go to a Final Four every ten years and he's happy.

None of that is crazy.

With the combination of the Dome + size of fanbase + being in the ACC + basketball revenues relative to other hoops programs what Alsacs laid out is pretty reasonable.

Basically we recruit a legitimate roster, place guys in the NBA somewhat regularly, and go to a Final Four every ten years and he's happy.

None of that is crazy.

We do that now right? 2 Final Fours in the last 7 years? 4 since 1996? Players in the NBA? He’s never happy.

None of that is crazy.

I couldn't agree more.

Actually, what is "crazy," or at least somewhat, is how simply 2 wins in the NCAAT appears to get a group of folks to be seemingly satisfied with the overall scope. Additionally, how it apparently erases the fact that we haven't been ranked during the regular season come January since 2014. Or, we have yet to win more than one consecutive game in our own conference tourney, let alone beat a team in our conference tourney that was an actual NCAA tournament team that season. Furthermore, how our new normal in our own conference is not being near the top of it, chasing conference titles, etc., but rather stuck middling in the middle of it, hovering at or around .500 in conference. Moreover, being on the bubble train year in and year out.

We do that now right? 2 Final Fours in the last 7 years? 4 since 1996? Players in the NBA? He’s never ha
I am behaving like a fan with the expectations of the old Syracuse program.
If the expectations have changed then the HC should stop behaving like the expectations are the same.
Tell him.

Once the expectations have shifted everyone in the fanbase should know that and temperature will cool down.
We are not a pillar in the national landscape.

I behaving like a fan with the expectations of the old Syracuse program.
If the expectations have changed then the HC should stop behaving like the expectations are the same.
Tell him.

Then you will be routinely disappointed. This is not 2009. How would you like Boeheim to behave?

I couldn't agree more.

Actually, what is "crazy," or at least somewhat, is how simply 2 wins in the NCAAT appears to get a group of folks to be seemingly satisfied with the overall scope. Additionally, how it apparently erases the fact that we haven't been ranked during the regular season come January since 2014. Or, we have yet to win more than one consecutive game in our own conference tourney, let alone beat a team in our conference tourney that was an actual NCAA tournament team that season. Furthermore, how our new normal in our own conference is not being near the top of it, chasing conference titles, etc., but rather stuck middling in the middle of it, hovering at or around .500 in conference. Moreover, being on the bubble train year in and year out.

Something happened in 2015, I heard.

I am behaving like a fan with the expectations of the old Syracuse program.
Tell him.

Once the expectations have shifted everyone in the fanbase should know that and temperature will cool down.
We are not a pillar in the national landscape.
I think it is unrealistic to expect that your team, any college team, can lose their starting sr center and not have it hurt, a lot. Schools have less ships to give out then they did 30 years ago. That is certainly not to say that our roster was well put together. When we have a team that actually has a 1.2.3.4.5 we are pretty good. When we deviate from that, we get weaker.
I think we still are a pillar in the national landscape. But it is a very shaky hold. If not for the successful March runs over the last 5 years, we would no longer be. Our regular season performances have done that to us.
Lastly, i think there are two things that will be true next year. one, we are going to be a good basketball team. Not perfect but very good. and very entertaining. Unless you are in the game thread during a game. And second, there will be a lot of talk about just how good we could have been with Kadary at the 1 instead of Joe. Almost no matter what Joe does. It's almost impossible in life, to measure up to the one that got away.

We do that now right? 2 Final Fours in the last 7 years? 4 since 1996? Players in the NBA? He’s never happy.
Quick - name our last 1st round NBA draft pick.

Quick - when was the last time we were ranked in an in-season top 25?

Quick - when was the last season that we made the tournament without any talk of whether we were on the bubble?

JB going against the odds and winning as a low seed in the tournament is great. It's real, and something the program accomplishes.

But it doesn't negate the trend line. And the sanctions discussion only goes so far.

Then you will be routinely disappointed. This is not 2009. How would you like Boeheim to behave?
Boeheim behaves like the program’s expectations are the same.
When they aren’t according to you.
He says he wants to be a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament again. We don’t recruit like we want that.
Sanctions aren’t why our expectations have shifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom