Over/under 8.5 scholarship players next year | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Over/under 8.5 scholarship players next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really getting tired of the “what would you rather have” nonsense. I want to be ranked, easily make the tourney and make runs in the tourney. We lead the country in attendance, we have a great practice facility, we have great history and we play in a storied hoops conference. We are Syracuse basketball not Miami basketball. Stop accepting what has happened the last 7 years
This is a great post.

We did have a string. It was amazing.

It ended in 2017. That's a long time ago. That means we'll have an entire graduating class worth of years where we didn't put someone in the 1st round. 1st round draft picks matter because of the guaranteed contract and time given the player to catch on and develop. It's a relevant metric of program strength. It tells part of the story. The story it tells right now is that we aren't as talented as we have been.

When will our next first round pick be? Q is extremely unlikely to break the streak. Benny's probably our best chance, but that may be a 2 year process. Buddy? Maybe.

Sanctions started in 2015 and ended in 2020.

We can want more success during the season and have the opinion that our tournament success is not a fluke. You don’t have to have one opinion or the other. It is deflating during the season to have games that you have zero shot in basically.

Agree. We all want that. But I’m not going to cry and call for JB to be fired or complain that his kid plays too much. In the end, he usually finds a way to be successful.

Agree. We all want that. But I’m not going to cry and call for JB to be fired or complain that his kid plays too much. In the end, he usually finds a way to be successful.
Nobody wants JB fired.
If they want him fired tag me I will tell them they are stupid.
Fired isn't happening.
Roy Williams retired. He wasn’t fired.

Last edited:
Nobody wants JB fired.
If they want him fired tag me I will tell them they are stupid.
Fired isn’t wanting change.
Roy Williams retired. He wasn’t fired.

Pushed out? Fired? Time for a change? Call it whatever you want. People were saying it again this year.

It’s really his roster construction/strategy that I have issues with. Nobody is arguing he finds ways to be competitive no matter what our talent level is.

If I had to choose, I would always choose to be good in the tournament.
2 thoughts in response:

1, usually being good in the tournament (winning results) involves playing the odds, ie, being a high seed and playing teams you're better than. Our recent run doesn't just buck the odds, it's an enormous statistical outlier. Which, again, is a major accomplishment. But it also can't be relied on.

2, sometimes you can play well in the tournament and still get bounced in your first game. That's the nature of single elimination tournaments.

I think the tourney is just too chaotic to be a reliable measure of program strength. Especially in our case. Teams are probably more afraid to play us in the tournament than the regular season. Does that mean we're good? Or just weird? The regular season records suggests we're just weird.

It’s really his roster construction/strategy that I have issues with. Nobody is arguing he finds ways to be competitive no matter what our talent level is.

We’ve been getting close. Missed on Bazely, Jackson, and now Dior Johnson. Hopefully Benny makes a difference.

I am really getting tired of the “what would you rather have” nonsense. I want to be ranked, easily make the tourney and make runs in the tourney. We lead the country in attendance, we have a great practice facility, we have great history and we play in a storied hoops conference. We are Syracuse basketball not Miami basketball. Stop accepting what has happened the last 7 years
Wow. You might be the only fan that wants that. We all want that. i think most of us know we need change. And not for nothing, at one time we had this argument, the other way. Great regular seasons and poof, out early in the tournament. In all seriousness, I think winning in the tournament is only going to get more difficult. The bottom in this country has gotten better and the top is getting weaker. That also might make winning in the regular season tougher.
We have all of the advantages that you cited. Only three teams max in our league should be with us. UNC, Duke and Louisville. Plenty of other good schools with plenty to offer, just not as much as us. We need to get a dynamic new coach. One that hits the recruiting road as hard as JB did when he was 40. Not 76. But that may be tougher to get than we realize. What we all want, may take some time to find.

Sanctions started in 2015 and ended in 2020.
tenor.gif

I’m talking about now. The pg situation with Girard/Symir better have us in the top 25 next year and top 4 or 5 in the conference or JB deserves whatever criticism if it doesn’t.

Better have? Lol. JB will be criticized regardless.

Better have? Lol. JB will be criticized regardless.
No he won’t.
The small minority complain about everything.
I give praise when it’s good and don’t circle the wagons when it’s not good.
I call it the way I see it.

If we are 24-7 next season then JB will get praise from me.

If we are 19-12 I will it as I see it.

No he won’t.
The small minority complain about everything.
I give praise when it’s good and don’t circle the wagons when it’s not good.
I call it the way I see it.

If we are 24-7 next season then JB will get praise from me.

If we are 19-12 I will it as I see it.

So as long as he meets your expectations he won’t be criticized by you? But otherwise...

You were one of those that criticized him for playing Buddy too many minutes, right?

He wasn’t then. He probably was given too many minutes for a guy who just had Covid and I think that’s fairly obvious.

Again, this is silly. He’s the best player on the team. There’s no question about that.

Again, this is silly. He’s the best player on the team. There’s no question about that.

Guerrier was our best player for the first half of the season. From February on I have no debate that Buddy carried us. I think JB did his son a disservice playing him 40mpg when he was clearly struggling in January.

Guerrier was our best player for the first half of the season. From February on I have no debate that Buddy carried us. I think JB did his son a disservice playing him 40mpg when he was clearly struggling in January.

No. Buddy had, what, four 20 point games before mid-season? It’s a dumb argument. Best player on the team and people were complaining he was playing too many minutes. Idiotic. This is exactly my point. People will criticize JB regardless. He just took his team to the Sweet 16 and people want him fired because Kadary transferred.

Interview with Cowherd or Michael Kay. Can’t remember what one.

i heard the cowherd interview and didn’t hear that so I went and found the Kay interview and that was it. But it wasn’t quite like a few people are portraying it here. During the discussion about low seeds and getting to the sweet 16 or even further when we went to the f4 and had beat real good teams like Virginia and Gonzaga, he laughed and said of course he’d rather go into the tournament as a 2 seed.

Wow. You might be the only fan that wants that. We all want that. i think most of us know we need change. And not for nothing, at one time we had this argument, the other way. Great regular seasons and poof, out early in the tournament. In all seriousness, I think winning in the tournament is only going to get more difficult. The bottom in this country has gotten better and the top is getting weaker. That also might make winning in the regular season tougher.
We have all of the advantages that you cited. Only three teams max in our league should be with us. UNC, Duke and Louisville. Plenty of other good schools with plenty to offer, just not as much as us. We need to get a dynamic new coach. One that hits the recruiting road as hard as JB did when he was 40. Not 76. But that may be tougher to get than we realize. What we all want, may take some time to find.
I am aware we all want that, my point was don’t accept what has been going on since 2014-2015. Some people seem to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom