Pat Narduzzi is the top Pitt Target, already interviewed | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Pat Narduzzi is the top Pitt Target, already interviewed

If Bullough wants to eventually go back to the NFL then just offer Daoust the title of co-Defensive coordinator. Many programs around the country have co-coordinators. If Bullough is a team player that shouldn't bother him and it gives Daoust a promotion.
Daoust/Acosta/McDonald are our best recruiters right now and I would hate to lose many of these guys.

But being a co-defensive coach is not the same thing on your resume as being "the" defensive coordinator. Also, he would be going into a situation with brand new coaches and team, the entire staff at SU could be gone next year but at least at Pitt he probably has a couple years to prove himself and take full credit for it.

If Daoust is thinking about all those factors he is likely gone which really stinks, but I don't blame the guy.
If what Bnoro is saying about Bullough is true that sucks even more because we will need a DC in the near future if SS is still the HC.

You guys are acting like we are losing the second coming of Bill Belichick. Team was 3-9 last year. Let me repeat that slowly: 3...and 9. No one on that staff is irreplaceable.

I mean Harbrough is getting the Michigan job. I bet he's looking at Shafer as D-Coordinator when he's inevitably fired too. These things happen. Let's calm down until we get back to a place where we have coaches winning 9-10 games again.

elimunelson said:
You guys are acting like we are losing the second coming of Bill Belichick. Team was 3-9 last year. Let me repeat that slowly: 3...and 9. No one on that staff is irreplaceable. I mean Harbrough is getting the Michigan job. I bet he's looking at Shafer as D-Coordinator when he's inevitably fired too. These things happen. Let's calm down until we get back to a place where we have coaches winning 9-10 games again.

Or: Our D has been pretty good and smart coaches are looking to poach our best position coach. No one is irreplaceable - but continuity in one of the only things you do well is damn important.

http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/7450508-74/pitt-narduzzi-coach#axzz3N6fddDzT

"The most encouraging words actually came from executive vice chancellor Jerry Cochran, and they were about the most pressing need for Pitt football: competitive wages for assistant coaches.
Cochran said Pitt's assistants should be “within the top half of the ACC.”
USA Today reported Clemson tops the 14-team ACC with an assistant coach payroll of about $4.45 million. North Carolina placed seventh at about $2.05 million.
Pitt doesn't make its coaches salaries public, but it also just hired to run its football program the former highest-paid assistant in the Big Ten.
It sure sounded like Narduzzi sought assurances he would have the money necessary to hire what he was at Michigan State: one of college football's brightest coordinators.
Narduzzi said the issue was “very, very important.” He added he has a working list of preferable assistants, and it seems as though he's going after a coordinator who basically will be the head coach of the offense.
Whoever that offensive coordinator is, he won't come cheap.
Pitt officials appeared to get that message.
“I can't give you the details, but that was a topic that was discussed,” acting Pitt athletic director Randy Juhl said. “We looked at competitive places, other teams in the ACC, and we're competitive. To the satisfaction of the coach. Not me.
“We knew we needed to address that.”
Pitt better.
I don't want Narduzzi's friends to have the same complaints that Graham's and Chryst's did, specifically that Pitt wasn't financially committed to winning.
Even if that was the case, I'm guessing it isn't anymore. Pitt is eating $2.4 million on former athletic director Steve Pederson's five-year contract. A renovation of the weight room, completed last spring, cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Keeping a coach never will be easy for Pitt, but spending at least a couple million dollars for Narduzzi's staff isn't going to crack the walls of the Cathedral of Learning.
Money changes everything.
More than loyalty, opportunity, proximity to home or reverence for a region, money truly can change Pitt football for the better.
There is only one way to stop the coaching carousel. Load it with coaches weighed down by fatter wallets. "

not sure which is the official Pitt taking Cuse coaches thread. so i'll put this here too.

There has been a lot of internet speculation that Syracuse defensive line coach Tim Daoust will be the pick for defensive coordinator. Per our checks, we don’t expect that to happen. While, I haven’t heard anything to rule out the possibility that he might be offered a position on the staff, the feel I got from checking with a few sources was that if it will be a coach from Syracuse, it more likely could be Syracuse defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough; but have also heard a few other names in contention and don’t know where those stand.

http://footballscoop.com/news/quick-look-narduzzi-begins-build-staff/

Lateral moves? Strange. Also, if true, depressing.

not sure which is the official Pitt taking Cuse coaches thread. so i'll put this here too.

There has been a lot of internet speculation that Syracuse defensive line coach Tim Daoust will be the pick for defensive coordinator. Per our checks, we don’t expect that to happen. While, I haven’t heard anything to rule out the possibility that he might be offered a position on the staff, the feel I got from checking with a few sources was that if it will be a coach from Syracuse, it more likely could be Syracuse defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough; but have also heard a few other names in contention and don’t know where those stand.

the feel I got from checking with a few sources was that if it will be a coach from Syracuse, it more likely could be Syracuse defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough;

Scott Roussell's Pitt "sources" created this gem as well:
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-pitt-going-big/

"Multiple industry sources told FootballScoop today that Pitt’s chancellor plans to “go big” with this hire....Sources tell us not to expect Pitt to hire a coordinator. “Their initial list is all current and former head coaches.”

"Multiple industry sources told FootballScoop today that Pitt’s chancellor plans to “go big” with this hire...Sources tell us not to expect Pitt to hire a coordinator. “Their initial list is all current and former head coaches.”

So, it seems we can take a deep breath of relief?

So, it seems we can take a deep breath of relief?
I doubt he tries to lure Bullough away. Narduzzi most likely wants someone like Daoust that he can mold into his defensive system. Plus he and Daoust were at Cinncinatti together in 2005. If Daoust leaves, that sucks for us, but good for him. Pitt has always been somewhat delusional. I'm surprised Nick Saban's name hasn't been thrown out there for DC.

"Multiple industry sources told FootballScoop today that Pitt’s chancellor plans to “go big” with this hire...Sources tell us not to expect Pitt to hire a coordinator. “Their initial list is all current and former head coaches.”

Good. I selfishly want Coach Daoust and Coach Bullough to stay together at SU.

I doubt he tries to lure Bullough away. Narduzzi most likely wants someone like Daoust that he can mold into his defensive system. Plus he and Daoust were at Cinncinatti together in 2005. If Daoust leaves, that sucks for us, but good for him. Pitt has always been somewhat delusional. I'm surprised Nick Saban's name hasn't been thrown out there for DC.

But, if they are going to go big and key on current and former head coaches, then I can't see Daoust getting the nod at DC.

Narduzzi may want Bullough, but it just doesn't make sense? Why would Bullough make a lateral move? From the sounds of it Pitt may be willing to offer some more money, but is it enough to warrant it worth it? Bullough to Pitt makes absolutely no sense. IF it were to happen I could only imagine how incensed Shafer would be with the SUAD. Don't see it happening though.

You do realize that was an older article and had to do with a comment about who they were going to hire as a HC.

lol, I did not. Thanks for pointing that out.

Narduzzi may want Bullough, but it just doesn't make sense? Why would Bullough make a lateral move? From the sounds of it Pitt may be willing to offer some more money, but is it enough to warrant it worth it? Bullough to Pitt makes absolutely no sense. IF it were to happen I could only imagine how incensed Shafer would be with the SUAD. Don't see it happening though.
The other thing about this is that Narduzzi is supposed to be looking for passionate recruiters. Chuck Bullough is a fine coach and person but I am not sure anyone is going to consider him a passionate recruiter...

It makes sense if Bullough believes that Narduzzi's tenure is going to be a lot longer than Shafer's. I am not suggesting that is or will be the case, or that Bullough would look at it that way, but it would be reasonable to look at those kind of things. As for it being a "lateral" move, Pitt has been to 7 bowls in a row...

Tomcat's point about Narduzzi looking for passionate recruiters is a good one and probably renders this discussion irrelevant anyway.