Pat Narduzzi is the top Pitt Target, already interviewed | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Pat Narduzzi is the top Pitt Target, already interviewed

anomander said:
Narduzzi may want Bullough, but it just doesn't make sense? Why would Bullough make a lateral move? From the sounds of it Pitt may be willing to offer some more money, but is it enough to warrant it worth it? Bullough to Pitt makes absolutely no sense. IF it were to happen I could only imagine how incensed Shafer would be with the SUAD. Don't see it happening though.

Why would he be pissed at the SUAD?

Well there would only be 1 reason why a loyal assistant would make a lateral move to a conference rival.
I could think of several reasons (expected loss of job after next season, more $, etc.) why an assistant would leave for a lateral position. Both of those are more closely related to the head coach than the athletic director/department.

If HCSS believes that a coach deserves more money (or that more money would prevent an undesired departure) then he should secure the necessary funding.

anomander said:
Well there would only be 1 reason why a loyal assistant would make a lateral move to a conference rival.

He's not going to Pitt because of money. Only way that would happen is if Pitt grossly overpaid. There's not an assistant on staff that is underpaid. If they were, they would be here.

If HCSS believes that a coach deserves more money (or that more money would prevent an undesired departure) then he should secure the necessary funding.

Obviously this is all hypothetical and I don't believe Bullough is leaving for a second, but IF it were to happen you really think it's Shafer sole responsibility to be out there knocking on doors, and cold calling prospective donors? For some reason I don't think Narduzzi is out there working Pitt donors that he doesn't even know. A big reason Narduzzi took the job is because he was assured he would be given enough money to secure an experienced staff. If there is something out there that says this extra money to hire a competitive staff is coming from donors, i'll admit i'm wrong and move on. I just don't think that's the case.

Classic poster pretending he knows more than he does.

Wanna know the funny thing about your clown post is Bees knows that I know more then I should. I'm not sure what your problem is with me, but I wasn't even inferring to know anything about this topic. Just seems like a random cheap shot from some clown.

but IF it were to happen you really think it's Shafer sole responsibility to be out there knocking on doors, and cold calling prospective donors?
Nope, that's not what I was saying. If he feels that an assistant deserves more money, and he doesn't have any more to give, then he should justify the case to his boss.

Nope, that's not what I was saying. If he feels that an assistant deserves more money, and he doesn't have any more to give, then he should justify the case to his boss.

Ok, my fault, I misunderstood.

You want to fill me in on what the hell I supposedly know?

Actually, this is completely my bad.

I read your post as inferring there is a rift between HCSS and the SU AD. As this board has gotten full of supposed insiders with no inside information, I commented. Re-reading, it was clear you said "IF it were to happen I could only imagine how incensed Shafer would be with the SUAD."

My misread/bad.

This is what I don't get:
With a good OC (i.e. the OC version of HCSS as DC), how many more games do we win? How much more interesting are our games (from a SU fan perspective)? How much money does that translate into? What's the going rate for a good OC? 1-1.5 million? How much will we have to pay to buyout a current coach? Will we really not see a positive return on investment if we invest in a good OC? A&M got an increase in donations to the tune of $200 million when Manziel won the Heisman. Will we really not get another $2-3 million in revenue from donations, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. combined moving from a 3-9 team to a top 25 (possibly top 15) team? I find that incredibly hard to believe. Going cheap and losing seems more expensive to me.

I realize we have more problems than just coaching (i.e. talent, game day environment, player development, etc.), but a big fish OC will solve many of those problems, either directly or indirectly.

A good OC wins games, which keeps HCSS as the HC, and thus establishes an increased degree of coaching stability to both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

From football scoop

Pitt: Per source, Pat Narduzzi continues to vet potential candidates including those on the existing Pitt staff. Pat, not only is looking for coaches with a passion to recruit; but per sources, Pat is being very diligent in reviewing each of his top 3 at each position. “You only get one shot to make first hires” one source told FootballScoop. To clarify one item that has been out there, it is our understanding that Brad Salem, with whom Pat discussed opportunities, plans to remain at Michigan State. Based on what we have heard, we would expect the first set of hires from Narduzzi in the coming days.

From coachingsearch...

Pitt: KDKA in Pittsburgh reports Maryland running backs coach / special teams coordinator Andre Powell will join Pat Narduzzi’s staff and coach special teams, while Notre Dame assistant strength and conditioning coach Dave Andrews will be the head strength coach. Keep track of new FBS staffs here.

Per footballscoop...

Pitt:
Per source, FIU defensive coordinator Josh Conklin has agreed to become defensive coordinator at Pitt. We expect Conklin to bring linebackers coach Rob Harley as well. Update> Sources confirm to us that Harley will indeed join the staff as well.

Last edited:
So at the end of the day narduzzii hired a DC to be a DC. Just like I thought he would.

So at the end of the day narduzzii hired a DC to be a DC. Just like I thought he would.

And maybe that is why Daoust didn't consider a position with Pitt...because it wasn't the DC spot...not interested in a lateral move. Plus there were rumors about Bullough also.

And maybe that is why Daoust didn't consider a position with Pitt...because it wasn't the DC spot...not interested in a lateral move. Plus there were rumors about Bullough also.

agreed. i had an incredibly hard time thinking Daoust would leave Shafer for a lateral move to Pitt of all places and that Narduzzi would hire a rookie DC. I just thought he'd a hire a more veteran guy. Daoust while I love him, is still a little green. We don't even know if behind the scenes he is coordinator material. But at least he's learning from Bollough and Shaf.

Bollough; I was watching the MSU thing carefully cause I thought he could jump there. that's done now.