Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have enough bodies. But we need a big body in the middle unless our current three can add some bulk. I don’t want to see Dolejaz in the muddle once this year unless three guys have fouled out.

The everlasting “ tale of the tape “ obviously K worked hard to keep him away from the Cuse. That’s what friends are for.

I'm sorry I know people are high on him. Braswell can't be your option for replacing Hughes.
Brian for once I agree with you. I don’t see why people think he’s ready to come in and contribute. I wasn’t very impressed with him in his two years here but I hope I’m wrong!

I posted before either of them committed and it looked more probable that we'd get Tape, that Griffin was the one we needed. We really needed someone athletic who could score to replace at part of what we lost w/ Hughes. I was never convinced this guy was a better player than Sidibe-Their stats were similar with Sidibe accumulating his in the ACC and Tape in the Ivy. I was actually concerned he could scare away one of our young, promising Centers, who should be hopefully bigger and stronger after a whole offseason to work.

Now you know why this guy's name is Tape and not glue. Not very long-lasting.

You don't pronounce his name 'tape' because he doesn't stick.

Brian for once I agree with you. I don’t see why people think he’s ready to come in and contribute. I wasn’t very impressed with him in his two years here but I hope I’m wrong!

Spot on. Can't help but feel he will need a whole season just to be comfortable in live game action. Especially given how few minutes he's likely to get. Quincy and Marek will get bulk minutes over this guy and likely griffen if eligible.

Spot on. Can't help but feel he will need a whole season just to be comfortable in live game action. Especially given how few minutes he's likely to get. Quincy and Marek will get bulk minutes over this guy and likely griffen if eligible.

Intrigued to see what Newton can bring too. He’s our prototypical forward.

Intrigued to see what Newton can bring too. He’s our prototypical forward.
I agree. I think newton is gonna be very good for us. Prob not his freshman year but I think by Soph year he’ll be ready to go. Think he fits perfectly at Cuse.

I agree. I think newton is gonna be very good for us. Prob not his freshman year but I think by Soph year he’ll be ready to go. Think he fits perfectly at Cuse.
Everyone always loves the unknown. Goodine was going to be a do it all guard and is now gone after barely playing. JBA and Edwards were 2 of our best bigs in a long time, JBA didn't play and now a bunch of people don't even want Edwards to be active as a Soph. Quincy was going to be 1 and done and he may have just lost a starting spot on a non top 25 team.

In two seasons, Braswell has played 103 minutes, scored 38 points on 7/13 two pointers, (53.8%) 5/8 three pointers, (62.5%), an 9/12 free throws (75.0%), grabbed 18 rebounds, passed for 5 assists, made 9 steals and 1 block, committed 9 turnovers and 5 fouls.

Per 40 minutes that's 15 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 0 blocks vs. 3 turnovers and 2 fouls, with excellent shooting percentages.

The downside: that was virtually all against deep bench reserves and walk-ons in early season games and blow-outs.

But...he was doing that with pains in his lags from chin splints, which they hope will be cured or at least lessened next year. (If they aren't, he's not going to be able to play a lot.)

I'm impressed that as an inexperienced player, he committed few fouls, indicating that he knows where he's supposed to be and what he's supposed to be doing out there. The turnovers are really the only negative stat and he negates them with an unusual number of steals (he actually averaged 3.495 steals per 40 minutes, a phenomenal rate). And those shooting percentages are equally remarkable. Watching him on the floor, he seemed to be calm, comfortable and smooth. You wanted to see him get a better opportunity to show what he can do.

That doesn't mean that he's going to shine when he gets that opportunity and we don't know if he can overcome his physical problems end to play extensively. I'd just like to find out the answers to those questions with him in a Syracuse uniform, not somebody else's..

That said, i think Dolezaj and Guerrier will start and feel that both can shoot the ball better and become complete players and I think Woody newton could be quite a player for use, too. I think we are well blessed at the forward spots, so Braswell may not get his big chance yet. I hope he sticks it out.

Let's not over-hype him but don't under-estimate him, either.

Everyone always loves the unknown. Goodine was going to be a do it all guard and is now gone after barely playing. JBA and Edwards were 2 of our best bigs in a long time, JBA didn't play and now a bunch of people don't even want Edwards to be active as a Soph. Quincy was going to be 1 and done and he may have just lost a starting spot on a non top 25 team.
Is your point that you don't think that Newton will be ready to play by his sophomore year?

nonstickeRWJwLpQdPne.gif

Is your point that you don't think that Newton will be ready to play by his sophomore year?
Should we expect that these days? Half the board doesn't seem to care if Braswell transfers out going into year 3. Why would we expect Newton to be able to prove anything more than Braswell has? He's either going to sit behind Griffin or QG or both over the next year or 2. It's not like he's some can't miss superstar recruit, he's another development guy that we likely aren't going to be witnessing develop on the court during games.

I think most believe Edwards and Guerrier are going to be really good. If we landed Tape’ it would have made sense to RS Edwards. He needs put on some muscle and that takes time. He’s definitely skilled and showed it this past season.

Guerrier had some good games late in the season. Love his potential.

he's another development guy that we likely aren't going to be witnessing develop on the court during games.

I have no problem with players developing in practice, over the summer and over time. Game experience is only a part of development.

This whole fiasco just reinforces how much I love having guys like Alan and Dior. Dior says he wants to beat Duke not join them and Alan basically told Duke “nah” and wasn’t gonna fall for the infamous Duke late offer that other players mistakenly jump at.
Agreed, assuming everything goes as planned. But I think it also reinforces how nothing is solid in recruiting...until it is.
This guy never officially committed to us so I have no issue with his "decommit, maybe-commit, re-commit" fiasco. Basically we're all just bored w/ shelter-in-place and any activity on the board picks up more attention than normal.
Good luck to him- we'll manage just fine and our future won't be measured by the lack of Tape in the program. (see-what-I-did-there?) :cool:

In two seasons, Braswell has played 103 minutes, scored 38 points on 7/13 two pointers, (53.8%) 5/8 three pointers, (62.5%), an 9/12 free throws (75.0%), grabbed 18 rebounds, passed for 5 assists, made 9 steals and 1 block, committed 9 turnovers and 5 fouls.

Per 40 minutes that's 15 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 0 blocks vs. 3 turnovers and 2 fouls, with excellent shooting percentages.

The downside: that was virtually all against deep bench reserves and walk-ons in early season games and blow-outs.

But...he was doing that with pains in his lags from chin splints, which they hope will be cured or at least lessened next year. (If they aren't, he's not going to be able to play a lot.)

I'm impressed that as an inexperienced player, he committed few fouls, indicating that he knows where he's supposed to be and what he's supposed to be doing out there. The turnovers are really the only negative stat and he negates them with an unusual number of steals (he actually averaged 3.495 steals per 40 minutes, a phenomenal rate). And those shooting percentages are equally remarkable. Watching him on the floor, he seemed to be calm, comfortable and smooth. You wanted to see him get a better opportunity to show what he can do.

That doesn't mean that he's going to shine when he gets that opportunity and we don't know if he can overcome his physical problems end to play extensively. I'd just like to find out the answers to those questions with him in a Syracuse uniform, not somebody else's..

That said, i think Dolezaj and Guerrier will start and feel that both can shoot the ball better and become complete players and I think Woody newton could be quite a player for use, too. I think we are well blessed at the forward spots, so Braswell may not get his big chance yet. I hope he sticks it out.

Let's not over-hype him but don't under-estimate him, either.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond with thorough information, I think everything you listed is fair and accurate.
IMO a lot of what you listed here justifies my point. He’s maybe played about 5-10 meaningful minutes in his career. The rest have been with walk-Ons at the end of games and that’s where most of his stats are coming from so I think you can throw all of those out the window. I don’t really think expanding on those stats over 40 mins is applicable due to where they came from and who he was playing against either. I think we both can agree about 95% if not more of those were in garbage time. We haven’t seen what he can do in a more advanced role.
Second, he hasn’t played competitive basketball in a year due to his injury. We don’t know the severity of it or how it affects him but I think hoping for him to contribute and make an impact is a bit far fetched. I really hope I’m wrong and your right but I just don’t see it. The old saying though the best ability is availability so he needs to be healthy otherwise it’s a nonstarter.

That said, IF he’s healthy and he can make threes I think his playing time will increase that will only benefit the team so I’m rooting for it.
Great post though.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond with thorough information, I think everything you listed is fair and accurate.
IMO a lot of what you listed here justifies my point. He’s maybe played about 5-10 meaningful minutes in his career. The rest have been with walk-Ons at the end of games and that’s where most of his stats are coming from so I think you can throw all of those out the window. I don’t really think expanding on those stats over 40 mins is applicable due to where they came from and who he was playing against either. I think we both can agree about 95% if not more of those were in garbage time. We haven’t seen what he can do in a more advanced role.
Second, he hasn’t played competitive basketball in a year due to his injury. We don’t know the severity of it or how it affects him but I think hoping for him to contribute and make an impact is a bit far fetched. I really hope I’m wrong and your right but I just don’t see it. The old saying though the best ability is availability so he needs to be healthy otherwise it’s a nonstarter.

That said, IF he’s healthy and he can make threes I think his playing time will increase that will only benefit the team so I’m rooting for it.
Great post though.

I don't think you ever throw out a stat but you can view it in perspective and the fact that his stats were complied against lesser teams and players is relevant, as is his physical condition, (which could mean that he's actually better than his stats show).

Where the stats might matter more is in comparing him to other players who have played limited lime against lesser opponents and I've rarely seen stats like that from such a young player, even considering the playing time and opposition. They normally are foul prone and their shooting percentages aren't that high. They also won't usually have that many steals. Those are signs of a talented player who knows what he's doing out there.

Let's look at Brycen Goodine, a player who some say deserved more playing time than he got.

Brycen played 201 minutes during which he scored 44 points, pulled down 24 rebounds, passed for 17 assists, had 11 steals and 2 blocks. He had 17 turnovers and committed 17 fouls. In twice the playing time, he had only 6 more points. He also had 6 more rebounds, (and he's a guard), and 12 more assists. Neither was a shot-blocker. Robert had only 2 fewer steals, about half as many turnovers and committed 1/3 the number of fouls in half the time. Goodine shot 12/27, (44%) from two point range, 3 for 23 from three point range, (13%) and 11/14 (79%) from the line. Per 40 minutes, Brycen averaged 9 points 5 rebounds 3 assists 2 steals 0 blocks, 3 turnovers and 3 fouls.

If Goodine deserved more of a shot, than Braswell deserves a shot, too.

Damn, the kid had six straight games with double digit rebounds to end the regular season too.

Wait..

He’s maybe played about 5-10 meaningful minutes in his career. The rest have been with walk-Ons at the end of games and that’s where most of his stats are coming from so I think you can throw all of those out the window.
here's the thing: i've been watching deep bench guys perform in scrub minutes against weak opposition for years. what impressed me, and others, about braswell wasn't the numbers he put up, it was the way he played. he looked comfortable with very good instincts - noticeably more so than other guys in his situation have in past seasons.

there is no way to satisfy anyone who wants to quantify it, but freshman bobby braswell easily passed the "look test" and i know i'm not the only one who was struck by it.

here's the thing: i've been watching deep bench guys perform in scrub minutes against weak opposition for years. what impressed me, and others, about braswell wasn't the numbers he put up, it was the way he played. he looked comfortable with very good instincts - noticeably more so than other guys in his situation have in past seasons.

there is no way to satisfy anyone who wants to quantify it, but freshman bobby braswell easily passed the "look test" and i know i'm not the only one who was struck by it.
I’m with you. He looked more like a regular playing with the scrubs than one of the scrubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom