Class of 2020 - Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Patrick Tapé / Columbia Grad Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's the thing: i've been watching deep bench guys perform in scrub minutes against weak opposition for years. what impressed me, and others, about braswell wasn't the numbers he put up, it was the way he played. he looked comfortable with very good instincts - noticeably more so than other guys in his situation have in past seasons.

there is no way to satisfy anyone who wants to quantify it, but freshman bobby braswell easily passed the "look test" and i know i'm not the only one who was struck by it.
I just think that’s a tough judgement to make based off seeing him dominate scrubs. That’s exactly what he should be doing, I can’t draw anything off that IMO. I think it’s fair to say the jury is still out on him and some people on here are more bullish than others and we’ll leave it at that. We’ll have to wait and see once the season starts too see what the deal is.

I just think that’s a tough judgement to make based off seeing him dominate scrubs. That’s exactly what he should be doing, I can’t draw anything off that IMO. I think it’s fair to say the jury is still out on him and some people on here are more bullish than others and we’ll leave it at that. We’ll have to wait and see once the season starts too see what the deal is.
again, it wasn't that he "dominated." like orangefog said, he had an ease in those moments that you usually see from regulars. he didn't rush things, he was almost always in the right position on both ends of the court, he moved with purpose & economy. he looked like a player, not just like someone using physical or athletic superiority

I'd just like to find out the answers to those questions with him in a Syracuse uniform, not somebody else's..

My thoughts exactly. We can all see things differently on his potential, and what we believe he will be able to contribute here. But, I think we all probably agree that we would like to see those things come to fruition here. And not ending up with another BJ Johnson situation, where we have to watch his game come together for another school, when he would have been a much needed piece to that team in 16-17.

We had to add grad transfer White, and really didn’t have a prototypical Cuse forward on the wing with Lydon, Battle, and White as the only options. Granted, White was solid on the wing, just not quite the height we’re accustomed to there. Lydon was forced into minutes at the 5, with only a struggling Roberson, and the freshman matador on D, our favorite momma’s boy Taurean ‘The Bad Dream’ Thompson as the other guys able to play the 4. I wasn’t able to watch much of this season, so I’m having trouble remembering if Battle got any run at the back of the zone.

I won’t be shocked, or blame Bras if he decides to leave, as Griff is now in the picture, with Woody on the way too. But, if AG has to sit out a year, then I think it would be best for Bras if he sticks it out at least another season, and tries to earn time while he only has to compete against QG, Marek, Woody, and maybe Kadary for minutes. Two freshman, and two guys more suited to play the 4, though it doesn’t make much of a difference when it comes to the forward spots. Still, it’s probably more ideal to be able to pair a shooter with QG, or Marek at times, instead of always having both on the floor together. Depending on how JB wants to run the offense, but usually we’d like to have a threat from deep at forward, especially since Marek is likely going to be running the offense from the high post a good amount of the time. Though, I do think that QG, and MD can work well together with a different game plan on how to score, and use their skills to get more points in the paint than we typically do.

Granted, one, or both of them may become more of a threat from deep, and have shown the ability to do so in their past play, which will decrease the need for a guy like Bras. If Tape is in the picture, Marek is going to be one of the forwards for most of the game, and you gotta figure QG averages at least 25 MPG between both spots. In turn, there may only be around 15 MPG for Bras, Woody, and possibly Kadary at the 3, unless Marek gets some run at the 5 again, which of course we’d like to avoid, and will if Tape decides to join the fun.

Bras should theoretically have the leg up against the freshmen, depending on how well he returns from the injury, so it’s there for the taking. And by his senior year, he can possibly become a starter with Buddy, Marek, and maybe QG gone. Griffin could end up sliding to the 2 when Buddy leaves, so the 3 spot would open up for someone out of Bras, Woody, QG, probably/hopefully Benny, and the small chance again with Kadary. And you never know who is still around year to year with how CBB seems to work these days. Though, with Dior coming in 2022, and Girard being a senior then, they are likely our starting backcourt, so AG probably continues starting at the 3. Still, we may only have Woody, Benny, Alan, and QG around battling with him for the time. He will have the opportunity here to play, as long as he shows JB that it’s in our best interest to do so.

I really hope he bets on himself, and sticks it out here, but I understand if he thinks it’s in his best interest to go somewhere else. We will obviously survive either way, but it would be nice to get back to the days of having a senior wing fully developed, and helping to the lead the way as the guys in the past did like CJ, Kris Jo, Wallace, Burgan, and Shumpert. I’m not saying Bras will end up as good as these guys, but I think the possibility of having a similar leap in his senior season is definitely worth the roster spot.

I just think that’s a tough judgement to make based off seeing him dominate scrubs. That’s exactly what he should be doing, I can’t draw anything off that IMO.
A lot of guys that should thrive in that setting though... don't.

Plus, Braswell has had moments about better competition where he looked like he belonged out there.

Looked rail thin, admittedly, but looked like he had a clue what to do on the court.

Bummer on Tape. He is going to be a good fit for Duke and will do well. We have unknowns. Does Griffin get to play? Is Braswell able to be healthy and showcase his potential?

What do we get out of our Centers? Can Jesse start to follow in the trajectory of an Etan or Seikaly?

How good is Woody? Do Marek and Quincy become a dominate forward combo?

There is definite a lot of volatility in the futures of this team.

here's the thing: i've been watching deep bench guys perform in scrub minutes against weak opposition for years. what impressed me, and others, about braswell wasn't the numbers he put up, it was the way he played. he looked comfortable with very good instincts - noticeably more so than other guys in his situation have in past seasons.

there is no way to satisfy anyone who wants to quantify it, but freshman bobby braswell easily passed the "look test" and i know i'm not the only one who was struck by it.
He just needs more minutes and conference. Then I think he will put up respectable numbers to justify giving him minutes. He already has shown flashes of what he can do.

Braswell came into an NC State game last year when we were getting blasted and looked like he had been playing the back line of the zone for 4 years. Pretty sure he grabbed a few steals and rebounds. For whatever reason JB doesn't trust him.

Not sure if we know that for sure. Kid was a very late add/under-the-radar type kid as a frosh and played about the roll you would expect a young non-4/5 star to play. There was opportunity to be had this year once Brissett departed but shut it down at the end of December apparently dealing with potentially career-threatening issues with his shins.

I'm not saying he's gotten much run or JB trusts him the way he trusts other guys, but I also don't think he's a 'dog house' guy. Question is whether or not he can be healthy. Could play his way into minutes.

Braswell came into an NC State game last year when we were getting blasted and looked like he had been playing the back line of the zone for 4 years. Pretty sure he grabbed a few steals and rebounds. For whatever reason JB doesn't trust him.
This was the best he has looked in a Cuse uniform. Big game on the road in the thick of it. He played very well on D but we need to see more of that and some prowess on O in games like this in order to garner more mins.

again, it wasn't that he "dominated." like orangefog said, he had an ease in those moments that you usually see from regulars. he didn't rush things, he was almost always in the right position on both ends of the court, he moved with purpose & economy. he looked like a player, not just like someone using physical or athletic superiority

These are both really well said. I think this is the kind of thing that often doesn't garner enough attention here. If you really watch those end-of-game situations closely you can tell which kids have 'something' and which kids just don't (at least yet).

The perfect foil for Braswell is BJ Johnson. We all know the kid had talent and was a potentially really good player (and clearly that's what he turned out to be). But when he got on the floor as a frosh/soph it was pretty clear that beyond jacking 3s, he didn't seem to know what else to do with himself. Again, not a knock on BJ but a pretty clear indication that he needed more seasoning before he was going to get bigger minutes.

Goodine, and i know people will flip out about this, is another one. For as solid as he looked defensively he was really wobbly offensively. As much as we could have used a third guard, I just don't think Goodine was it (for 19/20 ... though I was high on him for 20/21).

Good post, moqui. Agree with all of that.

His skill set seems obvious to me, regardless of the caliber of the competition. You could also see it in his HS tape.

What Braswell needs to develop most is his confidence and strength, IMO.

If someone is infected sure
Let's be honest, it takes 14-28 days for the coronavirus to run it's course. No chance the NCAA would even respond within that time period so it's a moot point.

The jury is certainly out and he has to prove he can perform well against starters for 20+ minutes before anybody can decide how good he might be. I just think that if he's healthy and gets that opportunity, he'll do well.

This recruitment is the definition of a mixed tape.
I'll be here all week. Try the veal and tip the grub hub drivers.

That is my lasting memory of his play, to date. What we don't know is how his health played into his playing time.

This recruitment is the definition of a mixed tape.
I'll be here all week. Try the veal and tip the grub hub drivers.
I Hear ya. I thought he was smarter than that. If he decommits again, I wouldn't want him anyway. He's never getting a ton of minutes at Duke. I also wasn't keen on the idea of him coming in for 1 year and jeopardizing things with Edwards. I think Edwards has a ton of potential all around if he can gain some weight.

Any chance Rothstein’s tweet today has some juice & it turns out Griffin may not be able play next season, changing Tapé’s mind.

Man, that grave accent & apostrophe look weird together.
Seriously doubt that has anything to do with anything

A friend of mine who used to play at Columbia was baffled by our recruitment of him. We shouldn’t be heartbroken about this. Anyway I thought jordan Bruner was better. Looks like we will get neither .

So boeheim and coach K must not know how to judge talent .. I’ll sort of take their interest in the kid as a sign he’s pretty good

From Rivals article by Eric Bossi:
"...late Monday a source told that Arizona, Duke and Kentucky are among those who are expected to be involved."

If Duke gets Haarms, does Tape change his mind again?
I think Tape has to be seriously disappointed to see Duke linked to trying to get Haarm. What a gut shot, Tape needs to be second guessing his quick recommital.

I doubt JB would have had any link to Haarm if Tape had signed up for SU. Just isn't the JB style.

I think Tape has to be seriously disappointed to see Duke linked to trying to get Haarm. What a gut shot, Tape needs to be second guessing his quick recommital.

I doubt JB would have had any link to Haarm if Tape had signed up for SU. Just isn't the JB style.
Don't you mean triple guessing... It's cruel recruiting world now even for grad transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom