People need to just realize college football players are football interns | Syracusefan.com

People need to just realize college football players are football interns

SUMJF

Walk On
These kids are playing a brutally physical sport.
I said in this in another thread.
College football players are getting their educations paid for wherever they go to college. However they are interns trying to become professionals.

If my company pays interns more than other companies that don’t pay interns and just tell them they are getting experience for the real world then my company is going to attract better interns.
It’s not pay for play. Better companies use intern pay to attract the best talent.

If Georgia football is going to pay more than Florida football or Syracuse football we can’t complain.
Syracuse football is going to pay more than UConn football or South Florida football.

The bigger fish are always going to eat the smaller fish.
I get people want to be frustrated but the football interns on Syracuse who want to move onto greener pastures are just wanting to get better benefits. It’s the circle of life. People who want to complain just want what happened in the past stay the norm well we are a progressive society and players getting more is better for those that make the game function.

If fans don’t want to go games or watch them then the market may correct itself but it’s highly doubtful with sports gambling anything will happen. Just embrace the fact we will replace what we lose. It’s on the coaches to do their jobs. I trust our staff will add what we need.

College football players are getting their educations paid for wherever they go to college. However they are interns trying to become professionals.

If my company pays interns more than other companies that don’t pay interns and just tell them they are getting experience for the real world then my company is going to attract better interns.
It’s not pay for play. Better companies use intern pay to attract the best talent.

If Georgia football is going to pay more than Florida football or Syracuse football we can’t complain.
Syracuse football is going to pay more than UConn football or South Florida football.

I get people want to be frustrated but the football interns on Syracuse who want to move onto greener pastures are just wanting to get better benefits. It’s the circle of life. People who want to complain just want what happened in the past stay the norm well we are a progressive society and players getting more is better for those that make the game function.

If fans don’t want to go games or watch them then the market may correct itself but it’s highly doubtful with sports gambling anything will happen. Just embrace the fact we will replace what we lose. It’s on the coaches to do their jobs. I trust our staff will add what we need.
I interned in college and did it on my own nickel just for the experience. What ever happened to paying your dues? I still think all this will come full circle after the damage is done and there will be a serious a$$ biting for all involved.

I interned in college and did it on my own nickel just for the experience. What ever happened to paying your dues? I still think all this will come full circle after the damage is done and there will be a serious a$$ biting for all involved.
But if someone offered to pay you while you paid your dues, you wouldn’t have accepted? That’s what’s going on today. The big boys are paying more than we are so we aren’t going to win many of those recruiting battles until we up our NIL game.

You did not have unique abilities that help make your employer tens of millions per annum. I would bet if the same experience could have been had for pay, you would have opted for pay.

They realize it, the don’t like it or want to accept it.

I think it’s the realization that the most we can realistically hope for each season is a birth in the Pinstripe Bowl on a cold Winter’s day in the Bronx that has people down.

That’s a whole other conversation. And much college athletics, it’s an exploitive practice that hurts the most those who can afford it the least.
I do not agree with the exploitation argument currently. This may have been true a number of years ago.
Kids can go to college without playing sports. There are a number of scholarships and grants for low income students. A number of universities cover tuition for students whose parents make less than a $125,000 a year. Those that make more can get loans.
Kids play sports because they love the game and want a chance to go pro. In football that would not happen without the university. There are no semi or minor leagues. The school provides upper level coaching, strength and conditioning, nutrition etc. This enhances a players ability to go pro. Also they get a free education and stipends.
Unlike in the past the players are given guaranteed four year scholarships. If they are injured and medical they keep their scholarship. They also receive medical while at school.
It’s is true that there is impact to there body long term. However as indicated above they are not forced to play. There are other options to allow them to go to school without playing sports.
I know people have strong opinions on this topic, this is mine. I just believe now unlike the past you cannot simply say that the university takes advantage of the players.

I just believe now unlike the past you cannot simply say that the university takes advantage of the players.
Then explain B10 schools making 8 or 9 figures a year off of football TV contracts and players not seeing a dime.

Then explain B10 schools making 8 or 9 figures a year off of football TV contracts and players not seeing a dime.
I am okay with players not getting a cut of the TV money just let them do what they are doing now. If boosters want to pay players thru NIL people can’t complain universities are exploiting the players.
This way it doesn’t matter the program or support. If a rich booster wants to pay women’s volleyball players or men’s soccer players those players can make money just like football or basketball players and the university isn’t violating the law.

NIL in my book are college athletes getting paid for the internships which are the sports they are playing at their college. If people want to pay more they will attract better candidates. Doesn’t matter the sport.

I am okay with players not getting a cut of the TV money just let them do what they are doing now. If boosters want to pay players thru NIL people can’t complain universities are exploiting the players.
This way it doesn’t matter the program or support. If a rich booster wants to pay women’s volleyball players or men’s soccer players those players can make money just like football or basketball players and the university isn’t violating the law.

NIL in my book are college athletes getting paid for the internships which are the sports they are playing at their college. If people want to pay more they will attract better candidates. Doesn’t matter the sport.
What are you even trying to argue? Even the majority of Alabama's players don't make it in the pros. So in the large proportion of cases, it's an unpaid internship with no payoff.

Well said, but your point just confirms we are not talking about college athletics any more. We are talking about a minor league feeder system to the major leagues. The whole "educational" aspect of this is insignificant, and the institution called the NCAA has no relevance any more. There has always been the issue of "paid" athletics at the college level, but this makes it legitimate and a major player in the sport.

I guess you stopped reading my post after the first sentence.
The university makes lots of money and they spend lots of money on athletes and athletic programs. A lot of the money is reinvested to the players. Coaching, nutrition, strength and conditioning, academic support, scholarships etc.
Again the players do not have to play. There are other options to go to school. It is a choice.

I guess you stopped reading my post after the first sentence.
The university makes lots of money and they spend lots of money on athletes and athletic programs. A lot of the money is reinvested to the players. Coaching, nutrition, strength and conditioning, academic support, scholarships etc.
I just didn't feel like addressing all of your points.

Universities dump money into facilities in part to have 0 profit on their ledgers so they can continue to argue they can't afford to pay players.

A free education is a pay off. There are millions of students who will spend the next 30 years paying off student debt.
I cannot begin to understand how people think a free education is somehow a worthwhile substitute for cold hard cash. Just because you think its a good deal doesn't mean it is a good deal.

What are you even trying to argue? Even the majority of Alabama's players don't make it in the pros. So in the large proportion of cases, it's an unpaid internship with no payoff.
That’s where the analogy breaks down. A vast majority will not make a living in football.

I hate the word “progressive”. Not everything that continues to change is “good.” Cancer is progressive. So is insanity. Somewhere along the line you have to have core principles on which good things are built.

I cannot begin to understand how people think a free education is somehow a worthwhile substitute for cold hard cash. Just because you think it’s a good deal doesn't mean it is a good deal.
Let players who want “cold hard cash” play professional football. College is not, or should not be, professional football.

A free education is a pay off. There are millions of students who will spend the next 30 years paying off student debt.
If we are going to arbitrarily cap the value of what a college athlete can receive, let’s do the same for coaches. They can make as much as a professor or college administrator and have a comfortable upper middle class life.

Let players who want “cold hard cash” play professional football. College is not, or should not be, professional football.
Why should the services of a college athlete be worth so much less than a professional athlete when the participation of college athletes generates millions of dollar in revenue and we as fans consume both with equal glee? What difference does it make if they're in college or not?

There's really no reason other than "that's the way it's always been", which in itself is a very naive statement.

I hate the word “progressive”. Not everything that continues to change is “good.” Cancer is progressive. So is insanity. Somewhere along the line you have to have core principles on which good things are built.
Lemme guess…

It may not work financially, but a true minor league football system (under written by the NFL) would make the most sense. All other major professional sports have that in some way shape or form. I can watch the Myrtle Beach Pelicans or the Coastal Carolina school kids and get an equally satisfying baseball viewing experience. The NIL impact is minimal at Carolina since the emphasis of the program is radically different than that of the Pelican organization.