People need to just realize college football players are football interns | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

People need to just realize college football players are football interns

I think OP is confusing interns with the word employee or independent contractor.

I think it’s the realization that the most we can realistically hope for each season is a birth in the Pinstripe Bowl on a cold Winter’s day in the Bronx that has people down.
If at all!

I still believe we should do a true, fully open free market with D1 bball and fball so people can see just how much these kids are worth to the schools. It would be stammering.

We would be clamoring for “just” the portal and NIL.

Stop fighting it. It’s here. There was a 9-0 SCOTUS decision involved.

Get better at being the best second tier football school. We didn’t invest in football back when we should have, the next best day is today. And credit to the school bc it seems like they are on board and working hard to make it better.

Everyone here didn’t care when there were bags dropped and all other sort of stuff behind the scenes. Ya, maybe you complained about The U or USC or something, but we’re all playing in the same ballpark and talking degrees of shadiness.

Get on board, get better at it, keep locking up these awesome portal guys.

Let’s keep making bowl games.

There are a lot of businesses that have a cost pay model that is out of wack.

Should amazon shut down 90% of what it does because AWS is making most of its profits now?

Should supermarkets stop selling eggs/milk because other products make them more money?

Should restaurants only sell the 3 things that sell well?

Should gas stations only sell gas again?

should college only have 2 degrees they offer if the rest cost them money?

Just because 2 sports bring in the most revenue we should pay them and and ignore the other 75% of the kids in every way

maybe we should start paying gaffers the same as the movie stars as well they all produce billion dollar movies.

I still believe we should do a true, fully open free market with D1 bball and fball so people can see just how much these kids are worth to the schools. It would be stammering.

We would be clamoring for “just” the portal and NIL.

Stop fighting it. It’s here. There was a 9-0 SCOTUS decision involved.

Get better at being the best second tier football school. We didn’t invest in football back when we should have, the next best day is today. And credit to the school bc it seems like they are on board and working hard to make it better.

Everyone here didn’t care when there were bags dropped and all other sort of stuff behind the scenes. Ya, maybe you complained about The U or USC or something, but we’re all playing in the same ballpark and talking degrees of shadiness.

Get on board, get better at it, keep locking up these awesome portal guys.

Let’s keep making bowl games.
Your expectations for our program in this new environment are very similar to mind.

These kids are playing a brutally physical sport.
I said in this in another thread.
College football players are getting their educations paid for wherever they go to college. However they are interns trying to become professionals.

If my company pays interns more than other companies that don’t pay interns and just tell them they are getting experience for the real world then my company is going to attract better interns.
It’s not pay for play. Better companies use intern pay to attract the best talent.

If Georgia football is going to pay more than Florida football or Syracuse football we can’t complain.
Syracuse football is going to pay more than UConn football or South Florida football.

The bigger fish are always going to eat the smaller fish.
I get people want to be frustrated but the football interns on Syracuse who want to move onto greener pastures are just wanting to get better benefits. It’s the circle of life. People who want to complain just want what happened in the past stay the norm well we are a progressive society and players getting more is better for those that make the game function.

If fans don’t want to go games or watch them then the market may correct itself but it’s highly doubtful with sports gambling anything will happen. Just embrace the fact we will replace what we lose. It’s on the coaches to do their jobs. I trust our staff will add what we need.
There are some obvious things said that are true but that's why we need to invest in the program so we can stay in the power part of college football or we will Cease to exist in football.
I think we are starting to get the picture. I mean we got finally which issue just a small part but still it's important because we were the only ones without a nutritionist which we will see no Commonwealth member what happens with that And we have a new football facility being built and the improvements on the dome so I think they're starting to finally understand what needs to be done are we there yet no but gotta crawl before you walk I guess

With the genie out of the bottle and never going back in, the institutions need to change the present paradigm. As we all know, college sports is a huge business and schools should shift and transition to that model. The status of these particular individuals/athletes; i.e., independent contractor, etc. to be determined accordingly.

The NFL rule is 3 years post one's high school graduation date/year in order to be eligible to play there. So, until the NFL changes its rule (which is highly unlikely) the schools still have considerable leverage, as where in the hell else are these young men going to go? The fact is, they certainly don't have any better platforms, opportunities, etc. afforded/provided to them.

Schools need to get rid of the letter of intent contracts as is, etc. and transition it to a legal contract fitting the current landscape. It can be year to year, or multiple, depending upon how the individual/schools agree to negotiate the terms, etc.

Have these young and unproven men have to bet on themselves, so to speak. One can take the one year scholarship, free room and board, etc. and everything that comes with it, limitations and all, or negotiate a separate contractual agreement. In either case, there can be a clause relative to good academic standing, etc. Therefore, there's a semblance of consequence relative to eligibility in order to enter the transfer portal and be able to play at another FBS type school the following year if one chooses to go that route.

Let the chips fall where they may.