People on this board dissing Marrone, Hackett, et al | Syracusefan.com

People on this board dissing Marrone, Hackett, et al

Still in search of my dream job. Doubt I'll ever find it. So I can keep moving.

I am a graduate of Syracuse University. My grandmother went to SU and graduated in 1928. Her daughter graduated in 1964. I Graduated in 1988. Our blood is Orange, not red.

I work in the investment business. I am at the top of my field. If I were asked to manage a portion of the SU endowment, I would do it in a second and do it for life. I wouldn't leave to manage the Harvard endowment, which is like leaving to be the coach of the Patriots in the NFL, a real step up. I'd follow my heart.

Doug's heart isn't in Syracuse, I question if it ever was. I feel like I just watched a remake of The Music Man. How fitting we are being asked to kick in for band uniforms.

Your opinion may be different. I'm not sure how the sentiment differs from alumni versus the true fan. As an alumnus, I feel he should have, at the least, left the coaches here. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he's gutting the staff and the recruits, but again, I bleed Orange.

I am a graduate of Syracuse University. My grandmother went to SU and graduated in 1928. Her daughter graduated in 1964. I Graduated in 1988. Our blood is Orange, not red.

I work in the investment business. I am at the top of my field. If I were asked to manage a portion of the SU endowment, I would do it in a second and do it for life. I wouldn't leave to manage the Harvard endowment, which is like leaving to be the coach of the Patriots in the NFL, a real step up. I'd follow my heart.

Doug's heart isn't in Syracuse, I question if it ever was. I feel like I just watched a remake of The Music Man. How fitting we are being asked to kick in for band uniforms.

Your opinion may be different. I'm not sure how the sentiment differs from alumni versus the true fan. As an alumnus, I feel he should have, at the least, left the coaches here. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he's gutting the staff and the recruits, but again, I bleed Orange.

HEAR HEAR!

Apples and oranges

Not really. Investment guys make more than the coach of the Bills...

Comparing coaching profession to investment banking not even remotely similar...but let's use your analogy. If u are at top of profession than the comparison would be after DM was at the top of NFL I.e several Super Bowl wins a ton of money in bank etc, but I still

Who said investment banking?

I beginning to think that DM is one of the more calculating people I've ever met.

better not have ever changed jobs or taken outside promotions in their entire lives. Ever.

For some reason people seem to miss the point that this is a job and a career for these people. For us it's a hobby. Fans get emotionally invested for a lifetime, for most of these guys it's a couple year period on a resume.

For us it's entertainment and product, for them it's a paycheck and a step up the ladder. They need to be coldblooded and callous, because you can be damn sure that the GM or AD won't hestiate to fire them if they need to. P has one losing season in 14 and the decision for him to get fired is made at halftime of a bowl game. So much for loyalty.

Go back and look at the posts 90 days ago. Many of the same people making the loudest noise about how things have unfolded the last two weeks were ready to run Marrone, and by extension the staff, out of town on a rail. Now it's an unmitigated disaster. Not a whole lot of concern about stability and recruiting then.

better not have ever changed jobs or taken outside promotions in their entire lives. Ever.
Well, when I was in high school I worked at a grocery store, but a great opportunity came around for me to work in a hospital kitchen when I was in college so I jumped at the chance. So yeah. Guilty as charged.

I don't fault Doug for leaving. I don't fault any of his staff for wanting to leave once their boss has left or they felt it was time to move on.

However, being a head coach of an NFL team. Doug has a lot of options in terms of hiring a staff. I do have a problem with him saying he's going to make sure the program stays on course and then accepting the resumes of guys on the SU payroll. Yes, it's not fair to him or the coaches to think that way and, yes, it's just business, but it just sends the wrong message to the SU community.

Bottom line: you're either with us or against us.

Short of cutting a huge ass check once his direct deposit kicks in, I can't wait to root against the Bills 16 times next year.

Maybe there's no such thing as ethics in sports, but in the professions I've been in it was unethical to take clients with you when leaving a responsible position and succession planning was an important part of the job, at least if you cared about the enterprise. Coaching is certainly a different creature, but I'd suggest that Doug was a responsible party in the SU football enterprise and portrayed himself as such.

He may not have loved being SU's coach as much as he thought he would and I have no issue with him changing jobs, but I don't think the needs of his new employer outweigh the needs of his old employer, at least on an ethical level. He may owe some allegiance to the coaches that worked for him at SU so perhaps that's partially driven his actions, but personally I'm not at all impressed with how he left SU. He left a lot of cleanup for his successor and former employer. For a place he said was important to him, he didn't show SU much consideration.

Maybe there's no such thing as ethics in sports, but in the professions I've been in it was unethical to take clients with you when leaving a responsible position and succession planning was an important part of the job, at least if you cared about the enterprise. Coaching is certainly a different creature, but I'd suggest that Doug was a responsible party in the SU football enterprise and portrayed himself as such.

He may not have loved being SU's coach as much as he thought he would and I have no issue with him changing jobs, but I don't think the needs of his new employer outweigh the needs of his old employer, at least on an ethical level. He may owe some allegiance to the coaches that worked for him at SU so perhaps that's partially driven his actions, but personally I'm not at all impressed with how he left SU. He left a lot of cleanup for his successor and former employer. For a place he said was important to him, he didn't show much consideration.

Any examples of HC's that have moved on to other positions and didn't take any of their staff with them?

It's standard industry practice.

He may not have loved being SU's coach as much as he thought he would and I have no issue with him changing jobs, but I don't think the needs of his new employer outweigh the needs of his old employer, at least on an ethical level. He may owe some allegiance to the coaches that worked for him at SU so perhaps that's partially driven his actions, but personally I'm not at all impressed with how he left SU. He left a lot of cleanup for his successor and former employer. For a place he said was important to him, he didn't show much consideration.
Not so sure you find any that would meet your standards in ciaching

He may not have loved being SU's coach as much as he thought he would and I have no issue with him changing jobs, but I don't think the needs of his new employer outweigh the needs of his old employer, at least on an ethical level. He may owe some allegiance to the coaches that worked for him at SU so perhaps that's partially driven his actions, but personally I'm not at all impressed with how he left SU. He left a lot of cleanup for his successor and former employer. For a place he said was important to him, he didn't show SU much consideration.
Interesting who liked your post Shenexon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Any examples of HC's that have moved on to other positions and didn't take any of their staff with them?

It's standard industry practice.
It may be standard practice, but I believed that Doug was an extraordinary man who believed in honor and character as much as in opportunity. He had a plan for how to rejuvenate SU football that I thought he truly believed in. In the end he was just an opportunistic football coach acting according to standard industry practice. I still think we are better for his tenure, but he's not quite the man I thought he was. I wish him well but would have preferred that he could have planned as well for his exit as he did for his arrival.

This is an excellent post. I would add just one thing to it. After that "Love, Coach Marrone" letter he sent to the players..... he then turned around and immediately started to poach the staff,,,,causing resulting damage to the recruiting class. I have zero respect for him. Zero. Scott has been left in a very difficult position. He has to hire a new O staff and hold together what is left of the recruiting class. He needs the support of all SU fans going forward... in terms of attending games, financial support and showing some love in the media. Within the space of two days...he lost a lot of what he thought he was signing on for. He needs our support.

This is an excellent post. I would add just one thing to it. After that "Love, Coach Marrone" letter he sent to the players..... he then turned around and immediately started to poach the staff,,,,causing resulting damage to the recruiting class. I have zero respect for him. Zero. Scott has been left in a very difficult position. He has to hire a new O staff and hold together what is left of the recruiting class. He needs the support of all SU fans going forward... in terms of attending games, financial support and showing some love in the media. Within the space of two days...he lost a lot of what he thought he was signing on for. He needs our help.
Thanks Doug

I am done with Doug. I am all for people "bettering" there own situation. But there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. Doug has went about this the wrong way in just about every turn.

For as much good as he has done he is doing more harm in leaving...IMO

This is an excellent post. I would add just one thing to it. After that "Love, Coach Marrone" letter he sent to the players..... he then turned around and immediately started to poach the staff,,,,causing resulting damage to the recruiting class. I have zero respect for him. Zero. Scott has been left in a very difficult position. He has to hire a new O staff and hold together what is left of the recruiting class. He needs the support of all SU fans going forward... in terms of attending games, financial support and showing some love in the media. Within the space of two days...he lost a lot of what he thought he was signing on for. He needs our help.
wow, that's great to read. Maybe it will get some on here to rethink their positions or at least just stop the posts.

Now that I've read your comments that may be represenative of those in the real "know", I sincerely feel we can move on now. Thanks for taking the time to chime in.

I have zero respect for him. Zero.

I preface this by saying I completely understand if you can't answer. But for my own sanity (?), I have to ask...

What is the general feeling of the Administration/BOT towards DM? Was there bad blood between the two? Could there be any chance some of these moves are being made out of spite?

That's not to say he's hiring unqualified candidates. But you'd think an NFL coach would have the "pick of the litter" in terms of coaching talent. I'm just trying to understand why DM would continue to pick apart his alma mater that he apparently loved so much...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom