People on this board dissing Marrone, Hackett, et al | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

People on this board dissing Marrone, Hackett, et al

Oh bullshit. Coaches always take staff with them. Everybody here just lives with their heads in the sand.

You're reading the wrong thread here. There's always more to the story. It's not what anyone did, it's the why and how that usually gets at people.

Just look at what he did to Dan Conley & his family three days before Christmas. Sure, it's never a good time to fire anyone but just before Christmas? Dan Conley is more heart and soul Syracuse football than anyone in the programs history. That was the day my feelings for Doug Marrone, the man, changed for good. I took down the Orange Kool-Aid drinking logo and stopped attending his luncheons.

Look at what he did to Donnie Webb, one of this sites favorite football writers. That move has never been explained.

He also blindsided Rob Spence. That was over an issue which has never been made public.

This whole episode reminds me of a couple breaking up and one partner going out with all of the other partners best friends and relatives.

Doug Marrone's reign of terror on Syracuse Football is in full gear and this will be his legacy to many.
Lets not forget his dear friend Bob C

You're reading the wrong thread here. There's always more to the story. It's not what anyone did, it's the why and how that usually gets at people.

Exactly. I think we get it now, a lot of us would leave when a better job came calling. Not exactly Earth-shattering stuff there.

It's the two-face talking that most people have issue with.

The denials to recruits that he was interviewing which were reported in the priemium articles.

or

"This is an excellent post. I would add just one thing to it. After that "Love, Coach Marrone" letter he sent to the players..... he then turned around and immediately started to poach the staff,,,,causing resulting damage to the recruiting class. I have zero respect for him. Zero. Scott has been left in a very difficult position. He has to hire a new O staff and hold together what is left of the recruiting class. He needs the support of all SU fans going forward... in terms of attending games, financial support and showing some love in the media. Within the space of two days...he lost a lot of what he thought he was signing on for. He needs our support."

how about some of the points raised by CTO such as poaching the staff which hurt the recruiting efforts.

With recruits, it is a no-win situation. he simply cannot tell recruits he is interviewing.

Have you ever been told to hire someone whilst in the midst of your own job search? Did you ever have to make an offer to someone all the while knowing that you may no longer be there when that person is due to start. Did you tell them what you were doing? You can't. If you tell a prospective employee that you are interviewing to leave the company, you are just begging to get fired if the company finds out about it.

I also have no issue with taking staff with him.

One, it is arguably a better opportunity, (I say arguably only because it is my opinion but I think being an NFL assistant is much more desirable than being one at a middling D1 football program) with higher pay, for each of those guys.

Two, if I were to leave my job and go someplace else, I would want to bring subordinates with me whom I thought were integral to helping me succeed. If Doug really trusts those guys and thinks they are the best guys to help him coach the Buffalo Bills (and those assitants believe that it is a better opportunity for them at a higher pay scale), I cannot fault him for, once again, doing what is best for him and his career (and the careers of his assistants), even if it is at the expense of SU's program.

Yeah, it sucks, but that is life and that is the real world.

No idea what you're talking about with regards to CTO.

It's amusing that people offer up their opinions as fact like they're in the room. Questioning Marrone's manhood like you're privy to all the information.

Nobody questioned Marrone's manhood when he purged the program of 30 some players.

You even called Floyd Little a liar and then tried to back track by asking if everybody is stupid because you know Little didn't lie but but but...
No back tracking at all. Here are two things. I question Marrone's manhood because in the case that I know 100%, Webb asked to know what he did that got Marrone upset. Let's talk about it. marrone refused. He had the chance to sit down with Webb one on one and tell him why he was upset. He wouldn't do it. Honestly, I thought the newspaper should have run an ap story on the next game. nothing else. If people wanted to know why they could be referred to the SU sports info debt.. As for little. He did lie. As far as Allen was concerned. To Allen it was a lie. End of story on that. Little told allen that Hacket was coming back. He didn't come back. That ain't telling the kid the truth my friend.
Phat, you and I have been on these boards a long time, can you remember cto saying something like she did about marrone about anyone else? Think about it.

Lets not forget his dear friend Bob C

Maybe Syracuse should promote St Thomas Aquinas' Rocco Casullo? Oh yeah wait, Marrone burned that bridge to.

I haven't posted since all of this started. I wanted to do the opposite of what I normally do which is couchburn. Well I've waited and watched, watched our OC get poached, watched half the staff run out of the door, watched our top recruit decommit days before he was supposed to enroll and watched all the work I thought Doug had done go up in smoke. :bang: Oh Lord And that's all I got to say about that.

Pyle if DM gave you that box of chocolates I'd be throwing that box out, they are not chocolates.

Exactly. I think we get it now, a lot of us would leave when a better job came calling. Not exactly Earth-shattering stuff there.

It's the two-face talking that most people have issue with.

It's fairly amazing that this has to be explained to some people.

With recruits, it is a no-win situation. he simply cannot tell recruits he is interviewing.

Have you ever been told to hire someone whilst in the midst of your own job search? Did you ever have to make an offer to someone all the while knowing that you may no longer be there when that person is due to start. Did you tell them what you were doing? You can't. If you tell a prospective employee that you are interviewing to leave the company, you are just begging to get fired if the company finds out about it.

I also have no issue with taking staff with him.

One, it is arguably a better opportunity, (I say arguably only because it is my opinion but I think being an NFL assistant is much more desirable than being one at a middling D1 football program) with higher pay, for each of those guys.

Two, if I were to leave my job and go someplace else, I would want to bring subordinates with me whom I thought were integral to helping me succeed. If Doug really trusts those guys and thinks they are the best guys to help him coach the Buffalo Bills (and those assitants believe that it is a better opportunity for them at a higher pay scale), I cannot fault him for, once again, doing what is best for him and his career (and the careers of his assistants), even if it is at the expense of SU's program.

Yeah, it sucks, but that is life and that is the real world.
Forza I respect your opinion and reasoning but I don't respect Doug Marrone's handling of this situation and others while he was on the job.

No back tracking at all. Here are two things. I question Marrone's manhood because in the case that I know 100%, Webb asked to know what he did that got Marrone upset. Let's talk about it. marrone refused. He had the chance to sit down with Webb one on one and tell him why he was upset. He wouldn't do it. Honestly, I thought the newspaper should have run an ap story on the next game. nothing else. If people wanted to know why they could be referred to the SU sports info debt.. As for little. He did lie. As far as Allen was concerned. To Allen it was a lie. End of story on that. Little told allen that Hacket was coming back. He didn't come back. That ain't telling the kid the truth my friend.
Phat, you and I have been on these boards a long time, can you remember cto saying something like she did about marrone about anyone else? Think about it.

Yes Zach kinda got screwed but instead of being completely honest he went to the DM school of ethics and lied to HCSS' son on twitter Wednesday night. Instead of saying yes I'm all in he should have said you know with everything up in the air I'm considering my options. If he said that HCSS would have had a chance to respondknowing there was major damage control to be done.

To answer your question about cto no she has never said that about anyone else in fact she probably goes out of her way to look for the good in someone.

Forza I respect your opinion and reasoning but I don't respect Doug Marrone's handling of this situation and others while he was on the job.

Orangeyes, you are privy to a lot more "inside" info than I am (as I am privy to zero).

Hence, part of your opinion regarding Marrone is most likely formed by numerous things you may have witnessed firsthand or heard about from individuals who either saw/heard things firsthand whom you trust.

The other part is that you also know a he!! of a lot more about what is true and not true regarding his leaving. I don't.

My opinion is formed as a complete outsider merely looking at the situation and simply comparing his leaving and taking his assistants with him to what I would do in a similar situation.

Just look at what he did to Dan Conley & his family three days before Christmas. Sure, it's never a good time to fire anyone but just before Christmas? Dan Conley is more heart and soul Syracuse football than anyone in the programs history. That was the day my feelings for Doug Marrone, the man, changed for good. I took down the Orange Kool-Aid drinking logo and stopped attending his luncheons.

Look at what he did to Donnie Webb, one of this sites favorite football writers. That move has never been explained.

He also blindsided Rob Spence. That was over an issue which has never been made public.

This whole episode reminds me of a couple breaking up and one partner going out with all of the other partners best friends and relatives.

Doug Marrone's reign of terror on Syracuse Football is in full gear and this will be his legacy to many.

OE, Don't forget Desmond Robinson. Desmond was told, he was being retained 6 weeks before being let go on Christmas eve. Doug lied to the man in an effort to retain recruits from GROB's staff. I gave up my season tickets the following year for this very reason, and have never thought highly of Doug. Now that he is gone, I will be back as a season ticket holder for SU football.

OE, Don't forget Desmond Robinson. Desmond was told, he was being retained 6 weeks before being let go on Christmas eve. Doug lied to the man in an effort to retain recruits from GROB's staff. I gave up my season tickets the following year for this very reason, and have never thought highly of Doug. Now that he is gone, I will be back as a season ticket holder for SU football.
wow, just wow.

I had forgotten that when I wrote what I did. There are so many other things that were sparked when I read this, some have to do with Doug and others were things that happened under his watch that did not speak well of him. I do know for a fact that he alienated a "tremendous" number of alums. I always figured that that is par for the course when your dealing with so many people with so many different agendas. There probably is no escaping the fact that you can't please everyone so you just have to please yourself when you're trying to overhaul what once was a very good program.

So glad to have you back and hope you visit me at the tailgates.

Thank you to the posters in this thread, last week I said I was done posting. However, it was due to several bullies I won't name, but are easily to identify YELLING and talking down to posters who were ticked off at DM. I am thankful that SU is back to being a decent football school again, but we are total rebuild mode because of the last couple of weeks. I wasn't a big DM guy not because of his attitude or his demeanor, but because he ALWAYS acted like a pro coach while coaching in college. The fourth down punts, playing to keep the game close, same old stuff week to week it took till the USF game this year for me to see the college coach in DM and poof he left. Thank you all for this thread.

Can someone please remind me of the Bob C firing issue? I seem to have forgotten.

Also, probably won't get told but I'd love to hear about Spence's exit as well.

The head coach at a major school is like a C-level executive in a corporation: providing direction, hiring and managing others, dealing with Boards of Directors (like our BoT) and does plenty of fundraising. Most CEOs have "do not compete" clauses in their employment contracts (as I do) so that you are not permitted to take trade secrets, customer lists, and key personnel when you get an offer you can't refuse. The CEO of Apple isn't gonna be permitted to run Microsoft. I guess FB coach contracts in college don't have such a provision? But why not? Let's say instead of the NFL, he bolts for an ACC rival with all those great facilities and support he craved -- say the orange of Clemson. A team we have to play every year and presumably recruit against. And then he takes the staff with him (not even talking EBO-type player deals here). Think Pitino from UK to UL where he takes every assistant, without the intervening NBA deal. "Do not competes" have to be commercially reasonable -- they can't prevent you from earning a livelihood, but you can tailor them to cover this. If schools start putting some golden handcuffs on their assets, a lot of this movement would be limited. Either that, or the new gig pays a big ransom amount to settle the subsequent litigation. And that's how we fund the new facility. :)

The head coach at a major school is like a C-level executive in a corporation: providing direction, hiring and managing others, dealing with Boards of Directors (like our BoT) and does plenty of fundraising. Most CEOs have "do not compete" clauses in their employment contracts (as I do) so that you are not permitted to take trade secrets, customer lists, and key personnel when you get an offer you can't refuse. The CEO of Apple isn't gonna be permitted to run Microsoft. I guess FB coach contracts in college don't have such a provision? But why not? Let's say instead of the NFL, he bolts for an ACC rival with all those great facilities and support he craved -- say the orange of Clemson. A team we have to play every year and presumably recruit against. And then he takes the staff with him (not even talking EBO-type player deals here). Think Pitino from UK to UL where he takes every assistant, without the intervening NBA deal. "Do not competes" have to be commercially reasonable -- they can't prevent you from earning a livelihood, but you can tailor them to cover this. If schools start putting some golden handcuffs on their assets, a lot of this movement would be limited. Either that, or the new gig pays a big ransom amount to settle the subsequent litigation. And that's how we fund the new facility. :)

I think the problem with this is that most new HCs would want to hire their own staff anyway. SU happens to be the exception, not the majority.

One day Donnie shows up at the Carrier Dome while the team was going through it's stretching. He heads down to the field to speak with Marrone as he always did. Suddenly, a staffer gets between he and Marrone and says where are you going? He tells them, to do an interview with Doug. The staffer says you are no longer on the list. There were many attempts to get an explanation but Marrone never responded. Donnie had in effect been black balled from covering Syracuse football without ever been given an explanation.

Sorry, Dan. That is an utter falsehood. Just utterly false. Or if it's true I never witnessed it, never heard about it and Donnie, a good friend of mine, never told me.

Wow. I wanted DM to stay in the worst way.After reading all of this, I can barely bring myself to ever utter his name again:confused:

Wow. I am glad I read this thread. Now i'm really pissed. I never want to hear "him" say he is one of "us" ever again. In my book he does not bleed Orange like many of us here. Those who are alums, have family member who are alums, or who are just life long fans have a lifelong tie to this school, and i don't care if you decide to leave, good riddance, but most here would never do this to the school we love. unreal

Born in Buffalo & raised in Syracuse. SU alum. Equal parts lifelong Bills & SU fan. Not happy with either end of this transaction.

As an SU fan, don't like the way DM has been slowly gutting the SU staff. From the outside it does appear to be almost vindictive. Mostly with the NH smash & grab. Concerned about a minor setback next season as HCSS tries to hold things together and then move forward.

As a Bills fan, afraid he had to take so many SU coaches because not a lot of other guys want to work for him and/or in Buffalo. Could be a couple more years of suck for BB fans until DM gets canned.

Syracuse hat on: after the current turbulence, I feel SU will continue it's upward trajectory after moving on from the DM "reign of terror".

Bills hat on: what in the world have we gotten ourselves into with this guy!

Worst case scenario: Killing two birds with one stone would take on a whole new meaning for me.

Born in Buffalo & raised in Syracuse. SU alum. Equal parts lifelong Bills & SU fan. Not happy with either end of this transaction.

As an SU fan, don't like the way DM has been slowly gutting the SU staff. From the outside it does appear to be almost vindictive. Mostly with the NH smash & grab. Concerned about a minor setback next season as HCSS tries to hold things together and then move forward.

As a Bills fan, afraid he had to take so many SU coaches because not a lot of other guys want to work for him and/or in Buffalo. Could be a couple more years of suck for BB fans until DM gets canned.

Syracuse hat on: after the current turbulence, I feel SU will continue it's upward trajectory after moving on from the DM "reign of terror".

Bills hat on: what in the world have we gotten ourselves into with this guy!

Worst case scenario: Killing two birds with one stone would take on a whole new meaning for me.

You act like the Bills were the only team who wanted Marrone. He was highly sought after. When was the last time the Bills were able to hire a coach that other teams actually wanted? Relax, we're in good hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom