Per Donna about Tyus | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Per Donna about Tyus

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. Wildcard is Carey in my book. If he can inject some life into this offense then everyone can benefit. Bazely could’ve helped in many aspects. Don’t forget we were holding teams down in the 50s and it was often a dire struggle to get to 50. If Battle comes back that is awesome but, still, some things need to change on offense and that’s an understatement. If it’s all in on zone and the same business/strategy on offense then what? Especially if Carey struggles.

Carey is very important and said in a recent article he loves to run and we have guys that can run with him. His driving skills also opens so many doors. We have proven we can rebound , now let’s get back to that Cuse transition game and have some real fun

Okay I'm gonna say 2 things that are both likely to be unpopular ... but what the heck.

I know people don't like to get their hopes up, but I know someone very close to the situation who has been telling me for a while now that Battle is definitely coming back.

It would be stupid to say anyone would turn down a 1st round NBA contract to play in college, and this person is not stupid, so I always took what he said to mean, Battle will definitely come back, if he's not a first round pick.

Its my own personal opinion that the closer NBA scouts look at Battle the more they will like him. So I have still been in the 60/40 Battle leaves, camp. Assuming he will be able to work his way into the 1st round.

If, however, Battle really isn't going to test the waters and submit himself to closer scrutiny. I'd say that's very good news for us fans. Its basically one less chance to move up the draft board.

Now, Battle doesnt need to test the waters to hear from NBA scouts. He may have been told something that makes him want to try his luck in the draft. But as of now Im switching my stance to the 60/40 he's staying camp.

The second thing people wont like to hear is that all this "SU keeps getting burned by players leaving early" talk is stupid as hell.

SU isnt getting burned by players leaving early, they are producing a lot of first round talent ... there's a HUGE difference. You're suppose to go to the NBA when you are good enough to be drafted in the first round.

Last year 140+ undergrads declared for the draft and only 20+ were first round pics (Im sure someone can look up the exact numbers). You know which schools are getting burned by players leaving early? The 100+ schools that had players leave who had no realistic shot of being drafted in round one. That never happens here.
That last paragraph is money.

Did Edelin go AWOL in 04 and again in 05? Can't remember

Yes. Left roughly halfway through 2004 and didn’t return that season...which really sucked because he was playing great, as was McNamara. Would’ve been the best offensive backcourt in the country eventually if Edelin could’ve just kept playing with no issues.

If I recall he wasn’t playing at the beginning of 2004-05 but was said to be coming back. He did eventually return and played a limited role for most of the season, and then was gone again towards the end of the season.

Last year 140+ undergrads declared for the draft and only 20+ were first round pics (Im sure someone can look up the exact numbers). You know which schools are getting burned by players leaving early? The 100+ schools that had players leave who had no realistic shot of being drafted in round one. That never happens here.
Well, almost never. PH

Agreed, but I think both you and I had his chances of returning at about 5% tbe day after the Duke game...and are appreciably higher today , right?

Maybe 15% or so. Okay, 20%. I’m feeling optimistic.

but if it’s all in on zone and the same business/strategy on offense then what? Especially if Carey struggles.

What else would it be? Of course it’s all in on zone. That’s our defense. I’d imagine with our players continuing to improve, and adding a few good shooters (Buddy, Hughes and Carey) the offense will be much better.

With no inside knowledge or anything, I've felt the vibe here was Tyus was leaving after this year. No questions asked and regardless of draft stock. I'll continue to believe that until he says he's returning.

He's probably going. That being said...he's likely a mid to high 30's pick. Not lottery. Not first round. Is there a scenario where he thinks one more year can do him good? Possibly. But I expect him to go, get a modest paycheck, and tour Europe for a while.

It would be amazing if he stays, but I would be shocked. And I have no problem with him going. He is the epitome of everything good in college basketball. Great student, Great Player, Great attitude, Great Guy. He will be part of the program forever, regardless of what he does. There has to be pressure for him to go because the NBA gets crazy about the age thing. I honestly think he would prefer to stay, but he has to do what is best for him and his family. In any event, I love what he has brought to the program. Wish him well whatever he decides. And either way, we are fine. We have good guards in Howard, Hughes, Boeheim and Carey, and maybe even Green if some of the rumors are true. Feeling good about the future of the program.

Personally i dont think Battle has any downside in staying.

He graduates
He will get another year of great exposure
Much better surrounding class
Weaker draft especially at his position.
Worst case he has his degree and goes a few spots higher.

If Europe is his final destination, he can stay one more year, get a degree and go to Europe. I don't think this is how he is looking at it. It is NBA or nothing right now. not maybe go to Europe and make some money.
I am thinking he had a lot of fun in the NCAA tournament, and wants to try to win a NC next year. Of course that would frog leap his draft status. Otherwise he is probably at about the same point, but with a degree. It is usually about the money, but in the Battles case, I don't think money is the first driving factor. Are we still recruiting his brother for the following year? Could be a nice Battle transition. One goes to the NBA and the other becomes Orange...

Agreed, but I think both you and I had his chances of returning at about 5% tbe day after the Duke game...and are appreciably higher today , right?
You had it at 5%. Wow that was optimistic

He is not coming back but I like the fact we had this thread to think happy thoughts. It will be something to cling to after next week.
You know him or the family? Guys come back for other schools all the time. It's just that we have been hit in the gut so many times, we can't imagine something good happening to us like that. I get it. And while I don't disagree with you, I think he is torn. If he wasn't, he would already have put his name in the draft. I think the chances he comes back are a lot better than the 0% you put it at.

Personally i dont think Battle has any downside in staying.

He graduates
He will get another year of great exposure
Much better surrounding class
Weaker draft especially at his position.
Worst case he has his degree and goes a few spots higher.
It's impossible to say this early if it will be a worst SG class next year
There is certainly several worst cases than him "going a few spots higher", and I think you know that.

It's impossible to say this early if it will be a worst SG class next year
There is certainly several worst cases than him "going a few spots higher", and I think you know that.
Other than injury which he would insure against in my opinion he doesnt have downside in coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom