Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think White Privlege is a thing or are you just trying to play devils advocate and Day2 to call you names
I stated earlier in the thread that I do. However, I do not believe it applies to all white people as there is a socioeconomic qualifier to this.

This isn’t a direct response to anything I’ve said and even contradicts one of your previous posts, so I’m going to opt out.
I guess you can pretend you didn’t drop your “genie comes along” anecdote.

However, I do not believe it applies to all white people as there is a socioeconomic qualifier to this.

I don't know. It may depend on how you look at it (ie the police giving you the benefit of doubt)

Name names. Some people I respect for letting it go like the moderator. He would have lost his mind if he stayed on that board.
No. The board righties who loved to take shots at the left, ran for the hills When Trump was elected. They enjoyed playing offense. Didn't enjoy playing defense.

I believe it’s racial bias training. I wouldn’t be surprised if the frats are just a start (for good reason).
Mandating it for greek life only is discriminatory and reactionary. This is appeasement.

This should be a mandatory course for all students.

I stated earlier in the thread that I do. However, I do not believe it applies to all white people as there is a socioeconomic qualifier to this.

It applies to all white people. The white person you described, would be further disadvantaged in this Country if they were of another race (particularly black).

An African-American child, born of two African-American parents who are doctors, residing in an affluent suburb, with access to excellent schools, medical care, etc., certainly has advantages that a white child, living in a public housing project, in an impoverished area will not have. But the color of the African-American child's skin is not one of those advantages. And a white child with the same upbringing would have an advantage over the African-American child, even if it is a slight one. That is a privilege.

An African-American child, born of two African-American parents who are doctors, residing in an affluent suburb, with access to excellent schools, medical care, etc., certainly has advantages that a white child, living in a public housing project, in an impoverished area will not have. But the color of the African-American child's skin is not one of those advantages. And a white child with the same upbringing would have an advantage to the African-American child, even if it is slight. That is a privilege.

This is a very good explanation. People (including many people in this thread) hear the term "white privilege" and they misinterpret it as "all white people have it easy" and "all white people have better lives than black people." That's not what it means. It means that when you control for all over variables, being black is a systematic disadvantage over being white, which it is.

I paraphrase, but it was something to the effect of, "If I'm white, my skin color/race will never be of a disadvantage to me." Since this cannot be said of other races, it is an advantage (or privilege) to be white.
I'm not sure of the context of this but that's ridiculous. I agree that on balance, in the US, being white confers significant privilege but on occasion (i.e. not never), it can easily be a disadvantage.

It applies to all white people. The white person you described, would be further disadvantaged in this Country if they were of another race (particularly black).

An African-American child, born of two African-American parents who are doctors, residing in an affluent suburb, with access to excellent schools, medical care, etc., certainly has advantages that a white child, living in a public housing project, in an impoverished area will not have. But the color of the African-American child's skin is not one of those advantages. And a white child with the same upbringing would have an advantage over the African-American child, even if it is a slight one. That is a privilege.
I still don’t agree with that. I doubt many people here, posting on a messageboard in their free time, are well versed in white poverty, yet we’re all experts on it apparently.

We’re starting to see the same decay in terms of drug addiction in the poor white areas, that we saw in the poor black areas decades ago, just instead of crack, it’s opioids.

Where is the economic mobility for poor white people? It doesn’t seem to exist. Statistically, most stay poor.

I guess we’re hanging our hats on the assumption poor white folk have better interactions with cops and apparently live longer (although I’m sure that is skewed due to white people who actually do have privilege).

I'm not sure of the context of this but that's ridiculous. I agree that on balance, in the US, being white confers significant privilege but on occasion (i.e. not never), it can easily be a disadvantage.
like in the college admission process.

Can you cite an example of when it is a disadvantage to be white? (I recognize there are always exceptions just curious what you'll come up with)

I still don’t agree with that. I doubt many people here, posting on a messageboard in their free time, are well versed in white poverty, yet we’re all experts on it apparently.

We’re starting to see the same decay in terms of drug addiction in the poor white areas, that we saw in the poor black areas decades ago, just instead of crack, it’s opioids.

I guess we’re hanging our hats on the assumption poor white folk have better interactions with cops and apparently live longer (although I’m sure that is skewed due to white people who actually do have privilege).

I grew up in the Mohawk Valley and I disagree with this statement. My town was lower middle class at best and we still had a better education and didn’t have to deal with police because there were few of them. I agree with you about the drugs though. The problem is we have no way to combat them. Opiates are somewhat regulated where pot is completely illegal. It doesn’t make sense or does it? Either way using law enforcement co combat addiction doesn’t work.

Where is the economic mobility for poor white people? It doesn’t seem to exist. Statistically, most stay poor.

But.It's.Not.Because.They.Are.White.

I guess you can pretend you didn’t drop your “genie comes along” anecdote.
And I guess you can pretend I said it’s not so bad, when in fact I acknowledged they’ve been dealt a crappy hand. Crap is still crap.

Can you cite an example of when it is a disadvantage to be white? (I recognize there are always exceptions just curious what you'll come up with)
the college admissions process, the SAT (with their diversity score), sitting in most college classes, applying for employment, the list is rather long...

You dont agree that when you contrl for all other variables being white is an (even slight) advantage?

Do you think the opioid crisis has been handled the same way as the crack epidemic?

You dont agree that when you contrl for all other variables being white is an (even slight) advantage?
He does. He said so earlier. He’s just stirring the pot now, because that’s his duty.

He does. He said so earlier. He’s just stirring the pot now, because that’s his duty.
just because someone disagrees with you doesn not mean that they are stirring the pot.

Maybe they just have different ideas than you?

I think there is no doubt that white privilege exists when it comes to interaction with police. That’s an iron clad lock.

Everything else is cluttered with nuance.

Another thing regarding misinterpretation of the term “white privilege.” Eric said that it does not mean that “all white ppl have it easy.” The misinterpretation of that term is not found on just one side of the argument FWIW.

But.It's.Not.Because.They.Are.White.
No?... because, statistically, they have next to zero upward economic mobility yet there are also next to zero programs specifically designed to advance poor white people...and that’s because they’re white.

Yes. Exceptions, which disqualify the use of "never".
  • A black person chooses to punch out the next white person they see.
  • A black owner of a business chooses not to serve a white customer.

yes.

The solution to the crack epidemic was to throw an entire generation of black men in prison.

The solution to the opioid epidemic is to take action against pharmaceutical companies, to approach it as a public health crisis with naloxone, etc. and to get people treatment.

These situations couldn't be more opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.