Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second posting.

All posts from here on out that aren’t related to the SU situation will be deleted. Please don’t make this difficult on us in trying to judge whether a post of tangentially related.

I thought about making a joke above that people loving Joe Girard was mostly due to white privilege but then I thought "I'm not going to stress Bees out."

Been there, done that.

notifications are required by law. So there was no way to keep it from the media. And what are they not currently doing? Do you read any of the releases from the various admins? They have about 100 balls in the air. And they aren’t appeasing all of the demands.

This isn't an area of my expertise, but my general understanding of the Clery Act is that it mandates reporting of crimes. But I don't think the events that precipitated this situation were criminal. (That's probably what got SU off on the wrong foot - they didn't think they needed to share the details about bathroom graffiti. Rightly, in my opinion.)

Maybe someone who's got a better technical understanding of Clery requirements could add to this.

My 2 cents...the admin and student protesters need to get into a room ASAP, and figure out a solution that the University as a whole can live with and satisfies at least some of the needs of the protest group. This is becoming a PR cluster and is embarrassing us nationally, and these copy cat incidents, whether they are real or manufactured leverage, wont stop and will continue to make the situation worse. Both sides need to work for a compromise solution, and both sides need to publicly endorse it, ASAP.

Please tell me how stupid I am, go on.

I'm not saying you're stupid, and I am not "boots on the ground at SU" so I don't know all the specifics about what's happening (though I suspect most students dont either), but what is the proposed basis for cancelling classes? Safety concerns? Protest?

Cancelling classes?

What the hell is going on up there?

Never underestimate how stupid 17-22 year olds are, either.
I don't think classes were/are formally cancelled, but a professor could always cancel a class and reach out to students in their class via email for example (similar if they were going to a miss a class due to a conference or emergency).

Syracuse PD is the lead investigative unity now (post manifesto).
More patrols on campus by the SPD.
NY State Police also actively investigating.

Can't say the U hasnt elevated this.

First reporter asking why the Chancellor isnt there, even though it was specifically a law enforcement PC. Sometimes, even as a media trained member, the media annoys me.

I'm not saying you're stupid, and I am not "boots on the ground at SU" so I don't know all the specifics about what's happening (though I suspect most students dont either), but what is the proposed basis for cancelling classes? Safety concerns? Protest?
In today's climate, combined with everything that's been going on for the last week or so and the upscale of the tension last night with the manifesto, not many positives can come from the decision not to cancel classes. There is absolutely some tension in the law school that was non-existent before today and I would imagine that its exponentially worse throughout the rest of campus.

Not saying I believe that the manifesto stuff is credible or a legitimate threat but if something were to happen today in an area where classes were being held it would be an awful look for the school. It is probably best to be overly safe in situations like this (especially now with all the protesting and negativity surrounding the situation) because if something does happen every move, or lack thereof, will be dissected.

No offense to your post but if RACIST graffiti is found in a dorm bathroom for Freshmen students is SU really expected to send a mass email to the entire student body and the Chancellor to comment on it immediately?

Fixed it.

My hope is that everyone would have enough consideration to understand why it would require urgency of a united front. It’s easy to diminish the physiological effects it has when there is no effect at a personal level, understanding or desire to understand.

In today's climate, combined with everything that's been going on for the last week or so and the upscale of the tension last night with the manifesto, not many positives can come from the decision not to cancel classes. There is absolutely some tension in the law school that was non-existent before today and I would imagine that its exponentially worse throughout the rest of campus.

Not saying I believe that the manifesto stuff is credible or a legitimate threat but if something were to happen today in an area where classes were being held it would be an awful look for the school. It is probably best to be overly safe in situations like this (especially now with all the protesting and negativity surrounding the situation) because if something does happen every move, or lack thereof, will be dissected.

Fair enough. I deal with a lot of student threats in the school setting. Despite the amount of horrible incidents that do take place, i am largely desensitized to them because the vast majority are in no way credible. I have certainly walked into rooms where the anxiety is heightened though ("could this be the one."). As both a former student and current parent of two elementary school-aged students, I have very mixed feelings about all of this.

Coumo going after Syverud in the press...

LOL thats rich. How exactly do you bring in an experienced "monitor" for something like this. Again are we going to hire 400 people to monitor each and every bathroom on the entire campus including the Dome, because thats exactly what they would have to do. Cuomo might want to hire one of those monitors after his brilliant idea to drop the N word on national radio a few weeks ago. NYC has to stop re-electing this guy.

At the rate at which it's happening, these are clearly copycat incidents just to troll and stoke a reaction. Someone on my timeline said SU has fostered this environment for far too long :rolleyes:. Whoever is doing this will be caught. Just a matter of time.

Syracuse PD is the lead investigative unity now (post manifesto).
More patrols on campus by the SPD.
NY State Police also actively investigating.

Can't say the U hasnt elevated this.

First reporter asking why the Chancellor isnt there, even though it was specifically a law enforcement PC. Sometimes, even as a media trained member, the media annoys me.

SPD's resources are already limited. Is their involvement in a non criminal matter necessary?

LOL thats rich. How exactly do you bring in an experienced "monitor" for something like this. Again are we going to hire 400 people to monitor each and every bathroom on the entire campus including the Dome, because thats exactly what they would have to do. Cuomo might want to hire one of those monitors after his brilliant idea to drop the N word on national radio a few weeks ago. NYC has to stop re-electing this guy.

I’d like to Fire the university‘a PR department though. This is being managed terribly on that front.

Fixed it.

My hope is that everyone would have enough consideration to understand why it would require urgency of a united front. It’s easy to diminish the physiological effects it has when there is no effect at a personal level, understanding or desire to understand.
I guess my problem with this is the use of the word urgency. I don't know what you mean by that. I think the University needs to take this seriously and immediately. But to me, that doesn't mean that a email needs to go out immediately. I think it is responsible for the University to investigate and know what they are talking about when they do send out this email. Clearly, at this point, this thing is getting out of control. Some sick people are getting exactly what they want. I am 100% in favor of a reward. Someone will talk. If they only do it because of the money and not because it is the right thing to do, I can live with that. I firmly believe that these culprits will be caught. And they will be gone from a University that I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.