Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess what? These students will be moving to the real world within a few months or years.

Their narcissistic overreactions won't fly out there like it does on campus.

College Students have been getting all in a huff for decades over issues like this. This will run out of kinetic energy by finals...SU/Police have to run their investigations and try to find a perp or perps. Lives will be altered and in some cases ruined over words that you can hear daily in Rap songs.

Time to find commonality amongs groups instead of always making things about identity.

My time in the military (22 years) taught me to work with everyone (whites, blacks, asians, poor, rich, city, rural, etc...) and the only thing that matter was can you do your job? can you play well with others? and risk your life to save a fellow "soldier"?

So in the same breath, you say that SU/Police need to run an investigation to find who is responsible for this while also absolving those same perpetrators' responsibility because you hear those same words "daily in rap songs" (as if context doesn't matter at all). Umm ok, not sure where to begin there.

So in the same breath, you say that SU/Police need to run an investigation to find who is responsible for this while also absolving those same perpetrators' responsibility because you hear those same words "daily in rap songs" (as if context doesn't matter at all). Umm ok, not sure where to begin there.
Just noting a valid double standard.

Look what happened to that SU women soccer player.

Guess what? These students will be moving to the real world within a few months or years.

College Students have been getting all in a huff for decades over issues like this. This will run out of kinetic energy by finals...SU/Police have to run their investigations and try to find a perp or perps. Lives will be altered and in some cases ruined over words that you can hear daily in Rap songs.

Time to find commonality amongs groups instead of always making things about identity.

My time in the military (22 years) taught me to work with everyone (whites, blacks, asians, poor, rich, city, rural, etc...) and the only thing that matter was can you do your job? can you play well with others? and risk your life to save a fellow "soldier"?

Civs aren’t green Mark. The kids have to feel safe where they learn and they can’t feel that way if they think a fellow student thinks their lives are less valuable. It isn’t just words. They didn’t sign up for that and we can’t and shouldn’t hold them to that standard.

Right. It's difficult to prove who did it. Someone may report it, but you can have a number of people who thought nothing of it at all. Social media blew this out of proportion. This should have stayed on campus.

Re: the airdrop. Anyone can airdrop if they're in proximity to you. I've heard stories of people being at airports and receiving someone's genital pictures because their settings allowed them to receive from anyone.
Social media is very much a part of our everyday life so it's hard for it to stay on-campus. Even the Daily Orange is a really good student newspaper that would be a channel for news/information.

If incidents are concentrated (let's say the dormitory Day Hall) then there is more that can be done (if not done already). We can talk privacy, but public areas like hallways are public so you could put cameras on the floor so long as it's not inside a bathroom or someone's room. The more it happens the stiffer you get. At my job, I can't access the female restroom as it has a key whereas the male restroom doesn't. I imagine you could even put a card reader outside of bathrooms based on student ID cards.

Perhaps it's an inconvenience and it may seem like an overreaction to some, but that's the point. If you are serious about it you can enact changes that can facilitate someone getting caught or changing their behavior (not necessarily what's between their ears though). Even something like if it always happens in a male bathroom gives you an opportunity to narrow it down.

My time in the military (22 years) taught me to work with everyone (whites, blacks, asians, poor, rich, city, rural, etc...) and the only thing that mattered was can you do your job? can you play well with others? and risk your life to save a fellow "soldier"?

EDIT: Before you attack me I don't approve of idiots spewing hate by mouth, email, video, etc...
At what point does it become a narcissistic overreaction? If I'm at a my job and somebody starts writing things on the bathroom wall (perhaps using my name directly or even a general group) shouldn't co-workers report it? And where is the commonality if someone makes it about my identity to begin with? It may not affect you personally, but there are outside factors that can affect you doing your job or doing your job to the best of your ability.

Some people, presumably students (although we really do not know yet), will more than likely be identified eventually and have serious consequences, not just related to their college situation but their future prospects in life.

Was it worth it?

Some people, presumably students (although we really do not know yet), will more than likely be identified eventually and have serious consequences, not just related to their college situation but their future prospects in life.

Was it worth it?

Who knows if SU will actually punish them if its found out to be a coordinated stunt by one of the victim groups. UW-Madison had a similar incident recently that was swept under the rug by the administration when it was found to not have been done by the group everyone thought was responsible. Swift and severe verdicts should be doled out to whoever was involved regardless of background to quash any ideas of it being done in the future.

My time in the military (22 years) taught me to work with everyone (whites, blacks, asians, poor, rich, city, rural, etc...) and the only thing that mattered was can you do your job? can you play well with others? and risk your life to save a fellow "soldier"?

EDIT: Before you attack me I don't approve of idiots spewing hate by mouth, email, video, etc...

In the real world, at your job, this kind of stuff gets stomped out quickly and people get fired for using “things that they hear in rap songs”

Not sure what real world you live in.

Was it worth it?

If it was a joke, it was incredibly stupid. If they meant it, there’s a place for them in the woods somewhere in isolation. Maybe they can make friends with Clayton bixby.

edit:also, if it turns out to be a rouse they should also have to wear the stain forever.

Who knows if SU will actually punish them if its found out to be a coordinated stunt by one of the victim groups. UW-Madison had a similar incident recently that was swept under the rug by the administration when it was found to not have been done by the group everyone thought was responsible. Swift and severe verdicts should be doled out to whoever was involved regardless of background to quash any ideas of it being done in the future.

Which is also a possibility. Whatever the case may be, they need to be handed a severe punishment.

I've known her since she was a child. Her life has been ruined.
You don't have to answer (or you may not know the answer), but does she have any regrets about it? Would she do it again? Some would say this is part of personal responsibility. There are consequences for everything we do or say, and some of those consequences aren't equal or even fair. That's a hard lesson for some to learn and experience.

in my 40+ years of working in the real world, any one of the things that have happened at SU would have gotten people fired.

Just noting a valid double standard.

Look what happened to that SU women soccer player.

Sure, that was a totally different context than what's going on up there now. Scrawling racial epithets onto bathroom walls, sending racist emails, etc. are a little bit different from what happened in that instance.

You don't have to answer (or you may not know the answer), but does she have any regrets about it? Would she do it again? Some would say this is part of personal responsibility. There are consequences for everything we do or say, and some of those consequences aren't equal or even fair. That's a hard lesson for some to learn and experience.
Of course she regrets it. This was her fault. Having said that, she never used words like that when she was younger. At S.U., her boyfriend was a Syracuse football player we all know. She hung around with all of the football players where quite frankly, those words were thrown around. And half of her friends on the soccer team were gay. It was a terrible moment for her. Her fault. But the results of that one moment has cost her job after job. Very nice young lady too. We pay for our sins. After they catch these guys at Syracuse, they are going to learn a hard lesson in life.

Syracuse will punish them. Of that, I have no doubt.

It seems that almost everyone here now agrees that this is a terrible, terrible situation. For those who think that this is "just" words and should be treated as such, perhaps try to temper that thought against the backdrop of all of the school shootings these youngsters have heard about throughout their entire lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.