Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm a student of color, why is this a bad thing?

I think I have trouble wrapping my head around fighting for inclusion and diversity but then demanding separate but equal. It's an odd contradiction.

I also wonder what the response would be if white students made the same demand. Wouldn't they be labeled racist?

Last edited:
It's likely illegal.

It is, which is why SU can't build this into their roommate protocol formally. They can however, encourage certain groups of students to connect via other apps, etc.

It is, which is why SU can't build this into their roommate protocol formally. They can however, encourage certain groups of students to connect via other apps, etc.
How is this a solution? This proactively encourages the student body to self-segregate itself. The students can’t say they’re unified against hate and ignorance then make this demand. It’s hypocritical imo. Am I looking at this wrong?

If I'm a student of color, why is this a bad thing?

Putting aside the "good for the goose, good for the gander" test (if there were a whites-only roommates push, I'd be joining protesters down at Crouse-Hinds), I don't think SU wants to be in the business of limiting kids' exposure to diversity in that way.

We're told (and I tend to agree) that part of college is learning about other cultures and generally getting educated in diversity. Self-selecting roommates based on some similarities (say, former high school classmates) is, in my opinion, suboptimal. Doing so on the basis of race - that is, enabling students in a university-mandated process to discriminate on the basis of race - is even more inappropriate and legally questionable.

Putting aside the "good for the goose, good for the gander" test (if there were a whites-only roommates push, I'd be joining protesters down at Crouse-Hinds), I don't think SU wants to be in the business of limiting kids' exposure to diversity in that way.

We're told (and I tend to agree) that part of college is learning about other cultures and generally getting educated in diversity. Self-selecting roommates based on some similarities (say, former high school classmates) is, in my opinion, suboptimal. Doing so on the basis of race - that is, enabling students in a university-mandated process to discriminate on the basis of race - is even more inappropriate and legally questionable.

So here’s my thing. I can’t possibly tell most folks on here and have them believe that it’s a good thing if student of color at a PWI want to live together so there’s less of a chance that they’re subject to stories like the one that you shared about your friend in college.

However, why should students of color be subjected to having to put up with peers that continually demonstrate a lack of cultural awareness and competency at best, little regard for their safety/openly racist/hostile at worst?

and the response of “well they better get used to how society at large is” doesn’t move the needle. That’s making excuses for the fact that they’re subjected to this treatment/behavior of others in the first place.

It seems we’re regressing in the name of progress.

Not only can you send your kid to college, where he/she will be discouraged from having freedom of thought and expression, but now you can have the added bonus of voluntary segregation.

Welcome to higher education, where you can learn to interact with only those who think and look like you..

How is this a solution? This proactively encourages the student body to self-segregate itself. The students can’t say they’re unified against hate and ignorance then make this demand. It’s hypocritical imo. Am I looking at this wrong?

When white people self-segregate it’s called “the suburbs”. When people of color self-segregate, somehow it’s a problem? It’s often done for their comfort/survival.

So here’s my thing. I can’t possibly tell most folks on here and have them believe that it’s a good thing if student of color at a PWI want to live together so there’s less of a chance that they’re subject to stories like the one that you shared about your friend in college.

However, why should students of color be subjected to having to put up with peers that continually demonstrate a lack of cultural awareness and competency at best, little regard for their safety/openly racist/hostile at worst?

and the response of “well they better get used to how society at large is” doesn’t move the needle. That’s making excuses for the fact that they’re subjected to this treatment/behavior of others in the first place.
Wow! I understand the desire and benefit but that's a pretty prejudiced way to look at it and similar to the justification for racism, in general, I think.

It seems we’re regressing in the name of progress.

Not only can you send your kid to college, where he/she will be discouraged from having freedom of thought and expression, but now you can have the added bonus of voluntary segregation.

Welcome to higher education, where you can learn to interact with only those who think and look like you..

Who are we as white folks to say what families/students of color should have to do in the name of “progress”?

Do you have any neighbors, literally any neighbors that don’t look like you? Do you interact socially on a regular basis with any other people that don’t look like you? I’m guessing not.

Wow! I understand the desire and benefit but that's a pretty prejudiced way to look at it and similar to the justification for racism, in general, I think.

How is that prejudiced? Prejudiced against whites? Is that what you’re saying?

I understand that there are studies that show segregated education can be beneficial to POC; much like classrooms of all boys or all girls can be beneficial. I just think it's going down a dark path that is antithetical to everything we were taught in the 80s and 90s. Integration is ingrained in me, and I think its ingrained in a lot of people. There has to be a way to make POC feel safe and appreciated and heard beyond more self-segregation than what already occurs.

When white people self-segregate it’s called “the suburbs”. When people of color self-segregate, somehow it’s a problem? It’s often done for their comfort/survival.

even if that were an equivalence, two wrongs don’t make a right. You’re then normalizing a level of segregation that people of color, as well as whites, have fought against for over a hundred years.

college is where you go to expand your mind, not limit it.

White people did do the same thing as this, it was called the Jim Crow South

Apparently this was the graffiti directed at the Asians. I think I saw stuff 10x worse than this in the bathroom stalls in Middle School.

The stink raised draws attention and inspires copycats. Classic middle school/high school BS. Amazing/scary that these are presumably college students/adults.

even if that were an equivalence, two wrongs don’t make a right. You’re then normalizing a level of segregation that people of color, as well as whites, have fought against for over a hundred years.

college is where you go to expand your mind, not limit it.

White people did do the same thing as this, it was called the Jim Crow South

Not even close to the same thing, but keep trying.

Who are we as white folks to say what families/students of color should have to do in the name of “progress”?

Do you have any neighbors, literally any neighbors that don’t look like you? Do you interact socially on a regular basis with any other people that don’t look like you? I’m guessing not.
Yes, I reside in a city, and not the white flight suburbs.

I play basketball in a rec league where I’m one of 3 white guys and recently dated a woman who is Asian/Black.

Sadly, it’s not surprising that you’d assume I don’t interact with non-white folks simply because I disagree with you.

I understand that there are studies that show segregated education can be beneficial to POC; much like classrooms of all boys or all girls can be beneficial. I just think it's going down a dark path that is antithetical to everything we were taught in the 80s and 90s. Integration is ingrained in me, and I think its ingrained in a lot of people. There has to be a way to make POC feel safe and appreciated and heard beyond more self-segregation than what already occurs.

Well reasoned, response. Thank you. Before I get labeled as a “race baiter or agitator” I think drawing attention to the last part of your statement is what the focus should be.

I’ve yet to see how that can happen though, so I remain skeptical.

Yes, I reside in a city, and not the white flight suburbs.

I play basketball in a rec league where I’m one of 3 white guys and recently dated a woman who is Asian/Black.

Sadly, it’s not surprising that you’d assume I don’t interact with non-white folks simply because I disagree with you.

Ahhh, the old “I dated a person of color” rebuttal. I was waiting for that!

How is it not?

what limits are there once you allow kids to preference roommate assignments based on race? That itself is racist.

It’s not racist if it’s students of color receiving preference. It is if it’s white students. Big distinction.

Same race roommate option makes sense because as I’ve gone through life I’ve found that my job offered me the same race boss option, the same race client option, the same race coworker option. My neighborhood offered me the same race neighbor option, the same race postal worker option, the same race grocery store clerk option, the same race pizza tosser guy option. Your options are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.