Pet Peeve | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pet Peeve

Drives me sideways when people fulminate effusively, yet think "a lot" is one word, can't sort out their/there/they're, don't realize "it's" is a contraction for "it is" - and only then, say "less" when they mean "fewer," "then" when they mean "than," and "except" when they mean "accept." I was going to include effect/affect, but most can't anyway.

And pompous pedants who use big words to make themselves appear more intelligent, and do it wrong. :D

I liked it because I think it was funny, not really sure as I couldn't understand/follow at least half of it...

Then there's the ubiquitous confusion over "good" and "well." Lots of people seem to be aware there's a difference, however don't fully understand it. I was watching a post-gamer with a hockey player who said "I thought I had a well practice ..." (no !) and almost spit beer all over the TV.

That's well to know. I'm feeling much weller knowing that now than.

boom, yes.

And I hate when they put a pickle on my plate. It makes my grilled cheese all soggy!

"Egad, man! What kind of place has "grilled cheese" on the menu?"

lovey-and-thurston-howell-III-200x122.jpg

For a serious response to the OP, I appreciate the comparisons at this time of year. I have not been able to get a feed for either of the Canada games yet, so hearing a couple comparisons gives me at least a tiny sense of what the player looks like if I actually got to watch the games without having to wait until November.

I hate when people call me at work and refer to me or my company as "you people"
I also hate when my wife throws dishes in the sink without rinsing them.

Drives me sideways when people fulminate effusively, yet think "a lot" is one word; can't sort out their/there/they're; don't realize "it's" is a contraction for "it is;" say "less" when they mean "fewer;" "then" when they mean "than;" and "except" when they mean "accept." I was going to include effect/affect, but most can't anyway.

And pompous pedants who use big words to make themselves appear more intelligent, and do it wrong. :D
I know what you mean. I am swimmingly mad right now.
:eek:
:)

You just pretentiously asked what kind of establishment serves grilled cheese. You know I'm right. We bourgeois filth will never ascend to your level of sophistication.

Did you not see the picture in the post? He was pretending to quote from Winston Howell III, heck he may actually have been quoting from it. Settle down or you might move to the wrong side of my list.

Did you not see the picture in the post? He was pretending to quote from Winston Howell III, heck he may actually have been quoting from it. Settle down or you might move to the wrong side of my list.
Oh nooo.