Petro named new defensive coordinator | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Petro named new defensive coordinator

Just one man's opinion, but I think high school athletes are making college playing choices way too early. Gee, sophmores and juniors making these important decisions before they had a chance for their bodies and minds to mature. As far as I'm concerned, until they sign a letter of intent, anything else is just wishful thinking. Besides, do we actually believe that college recruiters aren't still actively looking for better players even after the kid makes the so-called verbal committment, as well as, the recuriter dropping the school's committment if the player gets injured or has an "bad" senior year?

I think if Dave's boys want to play with their dad (or not), that's their decision and shouldn't be a committment until they officially sign their respective letters of intent.
Wait until you hear about what was going on pre-rule change when 8th and 9th graders were committing

Who's the HEAD coach, Gait or Petro? Give me a brake...
Not really sure what your request has to do with lacrosse, but ok...
1200px-Disk_brake_dsc03682.jpeg

Just one man's opinion, but I think high school athletes are making college playing choices way too early. Gee, sophmores and juniors making these important decisions before they had a chance for their bodies and minds to mature. As far as I'm concerned, until they sign a letter of intent, anything else is just wishful thinking. Besides, do we actually believe that college recruiters aren't still actively looking for better players even after the kid makes the so-called verbal committment, as well as, the recuriter dropping the school's committment if the player gets injured or has an "bad" senior year?

I think if Dave's boys want to play with their dad (or not), that's their decision and shouldn't be a committment until they officially sign their respective letters of intent.

From a legal perspective, contracts entered into by minors are voidable.
The rules have changed. Early recruiting is gone. Coaches can't begin to actively recruit a player until September 1 of their junior year in HS. Commitments have no meaning. Either side can change their mind until the recruit actually signs the grant-in-aid paper. If an athlete signs the grant-in-aid paper before they're 18, their parent/guardian also has to sign it since, as you said, contracts signed by minors are voidable.

If they were my sons, I would not hesitate. I'd advise them to stick with their commitments. I'd add that the benefits of that act would last forever and be far more important than any athletic accomplishments. "And you two, I will be proud of you both when I coach against your team, more proud than I would be if you scored a dozen goals for SU against UNC." Character matters.

If they were my sons I'd tell them UNC owes you nothing, and you owe UNC nothing, ...

Last edited:
It's quite different then the boys playing for Petro, were he still head coaching Hopkins.

Not that difficult to figure...
You don’t think their father coaching at Syracuse, even as a DC, would make them consider changing their commitments to Syracuse?

Would someone knowledgeable about lacrosse scholarships please explain the full rides ( if any) the fractional ( quarters and half’s etc ) and how many total rides the program has.

Would someone knowledgeable about lacrosse scholarships please explain the full rides ( if any) the fractional ( quarters and half’s etc ) and how many total rides the program has.

12.6 scholarships divided between 40-50 guys.

12.6 schollies per team, but someone else smarter than me will have to do a further deep-dive.

FF4DB1B1-3B95-47B4-914D-860B81508274.gif

Each school has 12.6 scholarships that can be divided up in any manner. That said with only 12.6 and most high end programs having at least 45+ players, most aren't giving out free rides save for a select few players. A decent amount of players will get no scholarship money while others will get up to a quarter and for the higher end guys a half schollie at most and then any financial aid on top of that they would qualify for. A guy like Spallina, and a few others are likely getting full rides or very near close to it but they are the exception not the rule.

It hurts that the cost of attendance for Syracuse is among the highest in the nation at $79,823 for the 2021-22 academic year.
Yes it does, I have mentioned this before in other threads. SU being a private school doesn't do it any favors in lacrosse recruiting. In contrast, UVA can offer in state tuition which is a huge advantage (same with Maryland).

Hmmm...I get your point. However, as the kid, would you prefer playing for your dad or against your dad? It’s not like they committed to a school that wouldn’t play Syracuse every year. They’ve already said in an article that they wanted to play for their dad, it just wasn’t an option that they could foresee. I don’t think it shows lack of character at all to respectfully change their commitments considering what has transpired since their commitment to UNC.
For all we know, they committed with a caveat that if dad got a job at a school, they might switch.

Yes it does, I have mentioned this before in other threads. SU being a private school doesn't do it any favors in lacrosse recruiting. In contrast, UVA can offer in state tuition which is a huge advantage (same with Maryland).
virginia doesn't have many guys in state, neither does unc (and probably tosu, michigan). maryland and psu is probably another matter.

Each school has 12.6 scholarships that can be divided up in any manner. That said with only 12.6 and most high end programs having at least 45+ players, most aren't giving out free rides save for a select few players. A decent amount of players will get no scholarship money while others will get up to a quarter and for the higher end guys a half schollie at most and then any financial aid on top of that they would qualify for. A guy like Spallina, and a few others are likely getting full rides or very near close to it but they are the exception not the rule.
financial aid can't come on top of athletic money or it's counted as athletic scholly money. if they earn merit based aid consistent with the school, that is allowed to combine and not count as athletic scholly.
cuse does have the advantage of the haudenosaunee scholarship program.

in all likelihood, many of the guys that don't come from wealthy backgrounds don't pull athletic schollys but rather financial aid as it could be a lot larger than what's offered in the 12.6. cuse's financial aid is pretty good (not ivy or hop level) at incomes that aren't well into 6 figures. if a player has siblings in college, even moreso. it's possible the roster can bend to some players in that demographic as a result.

financial aid can't come on top of athletic money or it's counted as athletic scholly money. if they earn merit based aid consistent with the school, that is allowed to combine and not count as athletic scholly.
cuse does have the advantage of the haudenosaunee scholarship program.

in all likelihood, many of the guys that don't come from wealthy backgrounds don't pull athletic schollys but rather financial aid as it could be a lot larger than what's offered in the 12.6. cuse's financial aid is pretty good (not ivy or hop level) at incomes that aren't well into 6 figures. if a player has siblings in college, even moreso. it's possible the roster can bend to some players in that demographic as a result.

Are you sure about that? So a kid who's parents make a combined - say 90K - can't get any financial aid if he's getting $5000 worth of athletic scholarship money? That doesn't seem right.

The second paragraph makes sense however that's easily abused to. Schools can give any student as much 'financial aid' and 'merit based' money as they want.

Are you sure about that? So a kid who's parents make a combined - say 90K - can't get any financial aid if he's getting $5000 worth of athletic scholarship money? That doesn't seem right.

The second paragraph makes sense however that's easily abused to. Schools can give any student as much 'financial aid' and 'merit based' money as they want.
i'm quite sure that's been the way it is for a very long time. unless something's changed recently. there are a lot of new actions going thru the courts, though most apply to full scholly football and hoops.

schools can give as much merit or financial aid as they want, but if you're an nc$$ athlete, it has to align with other non-athletes at your school.

go to the syracuse financial aid calculator. lot of dough there for families with a 90k income. 5k is chicken feed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom