Petro named new defensive coordinator | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Petro named new defensive coordinator

Are you sure about that? So a kid who's parents make a combined - say 90K - can't get any financial aid if he's getting $5000 worth of athletic scholarship money? That doesn't seem right.

The second paragraph makes sense however that's easily abused to. Schools can give any student as much 'financial aid' and 'merit based' money as they want.
here's a better explanation and i could've been more specific: fin aid from the school is allowed to be combined, but again will count as athletic scholly. fin aid from other forms and sources (i.e. gov't) of grants, loans won't.

i'm quite sure that's been the way it is for a very long time. unless something's changed recently. there are a lot of new actions going thru the courts, though most apply to full scholly football and hoops.

schools can give as much merit or financial aid as they want, but if you're an nc$$ athlete, it has to align with other non-athletes at your school.

go to the syracuse financial aid calculator. lot of dough there for families with a 90k income. 5k is chicken feed.

5K is only chicken feed to people who can afford 5K. (I picked 90K b/c that's 2 people making 45). Anyhow, with 12.6 scholarships and 1 scholarship worth 52K for tuition or add another 18K for room and board (I don't actually know what a full scholarship covers), but at a minimum it's tuition. So you could give 10 players 5 grand each for 1 full schollie. It's really nothing to scoff at because most people need all the help they can get, or the kid is saddled with huge debt. That 5K isn't so great at Syracuse but it's pretty sweet at UAlbany.

Being saddled with huge college loan debt to play lacrosse seems pretty silly to me. Half of these kids could maybe get twice as much money playing D2 (10.5 ships).

5K is only chicken feed to people who can afford 5K. (I picked 90K b/c that's 2 people making 45). Anyhow, with 12.6 scholarships and 1 scholarship worth 52K for tuition or add another 18K for room and board (I don't actually know what a full scholarship covers), but at a minimum it's tuition. So you could give 10 players 5 grand each for 1 full schollie. It's really nothing to scoff at because most people need all the help they can get, or the kid is saddled with huge debt. That 5K isn't so great at Syracuse but it's pretty sweet at UAlbany.

Being saddled with huge college loan debt to play lacrosse seems pretty silly to me. Half of these kids could maybe get twice as much money playing D2 (10.5 ships).
yes, 5 grand is 5 grand. my reference was that in relation to the financial aid award, it's much smaller.

@90k income with 60k savings and a 74 grand price tag:
pell - 3.2 k
syr grant - 45.7 k
left over -- 25k (work study or loan possible)

@ 140 k savings (not including ret accounts), the syr grant drops to 34.7 (down 11).

so financial aid in this case would pick up half to 2/3. 1 athletic scholly is all in $ 74k (or $79).

so by forgoing 5k athletic scholarship for a kid that could get much more in financial aid, all parties do better. until they change the rules, that's how it is.

I can't speak to the undergrad level but my understanding is there is a "discount" rate off tuition and grants that can be offered to students in need and then there is even more money for merit-based students independent of parents financial status.

Each school's graduate programs have the autonomy to manage their own financial awards. As a program director at the grad level, I had full discretion to make financial awards including full rides for the very best and brightest students. So I guess I'm saying there is plenty of money to be awarded if the university wants a student badly enough.

... also, let's not forget about the student-athletes whose parents work for the university. I had a number of lax players in my classes whose parents worked for SU or were on a reciprocal agreement where their parents worked for another university. I realize these may be small in number, but they do free up athletic scholarships.

Wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding the Pietramala twins? A poster on fanlax (who had posted about Gait and Petro hirings before they happened) said there was an "assumption that they would switch to Syracuse, but SU has a rule that might create a problem." I have no idea what that rule would be. Only thing I can think of is tuition reimbursement, and that they couldn't get a faculty discount right away? But seems like there would be workaround if that were really the case. Anyways, no recruits have announced switching their commitments yet, so I'm still holding out hope that they are just waiting for the right time to declare.

Wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding the Pietramala twins? A poster on fanlax (who had posted about Gait and Petro hirings before they happened) said there was an "assumption that they would switch to Syracuse, but SU has a rule that might create a problem." I have no idea what that rule would be. Only thing I can think of is tuition reimbursement, and that they couldn't get a faculty discount right away? But seems like there would be workaround if that were really the case. Anyways, no recruits have announced switching their commitments yet, so I'm still holding out hope that they are just waiting for the right time to declare.

Radio silence.

Any non-grant-in-aid (athletic scholarship) financial aid has to be in line with what is given to non-athletes. If a school can show that they gave an athlete who did really well on the National Merit Scholarship test $X over their partial because they give everyone with that score the same $X, it’s not supposed to be a problem.

What other college sports have scholarship caps? I assume it's prevalent but I've only heard of it for lacrosse.

some of the ivies get around the non scholie limits in pretty slimy ways.. they have full discretion to offer financial aid packages as they want to anyone they want need it or not. so even within the same league the rules are not very equal.

other schools are limited to actual giving pretty much across the board. some schools allow more to kids based on criteria outside of income based solutions.. its all over the place but it does mean going to one school over another can be a big difference in money paid out..

some of the ivies get around the non scholie limits in pretty slimy ways.. they have full discretion to offer financial aid packages as they want to anyone they want need it or not. so even within the same league the rules are not very equal.

other schools are limited to actual giving pretty much across the board. some schools allow more to kids based on criteria outside of income based solutions.. its all over the place but it does mean going to one school over another can be a big difference in money paid out..
That's not accurate. The Ivy's have never given athletic scholarships - they have a blind financial aid process for ALL students. It's all based on financial need and academic merit. It's actually a huge disadvantage because each and every other school (except some Patriot League schools) can give athletic scholarships and in addition provide need and merit based aid. When it comes to aid, the institution is required to treat ALL students the same. For instance, we have the Haudenosaunee Promise Scholarship which is a nice little program to have for lacrosse - but that scholarship is open to all qualifying students - not just athletes.

That's not accurate. The Ivy's have never given athletic scholarships - they have a blind financial aid process for ALL students. It's all based on financial need and academic merit. It's actually a huge disadvantage because each and every other school (except some Patriot League schools) can give athletic scholarships and in addition provide need and merit based aid. When it comes to aid, the institution is required to treat ALL students the same. For instance, we have the Haudenosaunee Promise Scholarship which is a nice little program to have for lacrosse - but that scholarship is open to all qualifying students - not just athletes.

I don't agree in practice. My former post college roommate was a high school AA in football, a lot of years ago. He played at SU and I casually mentioned on one occasion your premises to him discussing football recruitmen of the Ivies. He said ,"BS". He received in writing a financial package covering all costs to play football for Brown University He was a good student but probably wouldn't have been accepted without his football pedigree. Here is the thing. He was offered a full ride in writing and never applied to Brown University. They got his academic records through the school and just offered. Never a consideration of financial need at all. The IVY isn't that pure. Check the history of Ned Harkness at Cornell. They don't offer scholarships, they offer financial aid and there is a not lot of difference.

I don't agree in practice. My former post college roommate was a high school AA in football, a lot of years ago. He played at SU and I casually mentioned on one occasion your premises to him discussing football recruitmen of the Ivies. He said ,"BS". He received in writing a financial package covering all costs to play football for Brown University He was a good student but probably wouldn't have been accepted without his football pedigree. Here is the thing. He was offered a full ride in writing and never applied to Brown University. They got his academic records through the school and just offered. Never a consideration of financial need at all. The IVY isn't that pure. Check the history of Ned Harkness at Cornell. They don't offer scholarships, they offer financial aid and there is a not lot of difference.
You are correct - that absolutely happened at Brown 20+ years ago. They were investigated by the NCAA in 2000. I know three guys who coached (one still does) at Ivy League football programs. The only advantage they have is academic preference - the ability to get a kid admitted who otherwise wouldn't get in based on grades. Some take more advantage of that than others and I was told that you can always tell which school makes the most exceptions based on their record (yeah, I'm looking at you Penn). But they have zero influence over the financial aid process. It's an excuse non-Ivy league teams like to toss around, but if it were true, don't you think they would at least be competitive in the revenue generating sports? I mean if you were going to buy an athlete, wouldn't you buy a basketball player? Now do I think that wealthy alumni (i.e. Joe Tsai) might stick their nose in behind the scene in specific instances? 100% As it is now, it's too easy to reach out to players and potential recruits online that makes that inevitable. And now that they can profit off their likeness that is only going to get worse. I don't see the Ivys dropping out of D1 anytime soon based solely on tradition, but wouldn't at all be surprised if we see those conversations happen.

Anyways, this is a Petro thread so sorry about the off topic tangent...

its nice that people think this is how it works at the ivies.

i agree with most of this as i understand it (unless upperdeck has some sort of evidence or a story to tell)... but merit aid at an ivy for the lacrosse team? don't see that.
and unless and until anyone had a printout of how much actual aid and true cost for the rosters is happening, i wouldn't say it's a disadvantage. ivy aid is pretty hefty, and for those not getting it? they don't care.

the disadvantage is in incomes above say 120-140, and up to maybe 250 - 275.

its nice that people think this is how it works at the ivies.
Accusing other schools of cheating without any evidence is weak. It's no different than other schools accusing all ACC schools of cheating now because the coaches wife at one of the schools cosigned on a car loan for the current coach's brother 25 years ago.

Take care of your own house and don't worry about everyone else.

Accusing other schools of cheating without any evidence is weak. It's no different than other schools accusing all ACC schools of cheating now because the coaches wife at one of the schools cosigned on a car loan for the current coach's brother 25 years ago.

Take care of your own house and don't worry about everyone else.
i didnt know I accused any of cheating but fine.. I believe I said slimy.. In any case. its not a level playing field in the Ivies as it is in much of the P5. in P5 you have the schools that are harder to get into like the stanfords and then once you get the scholie the kids pretty much get the same deals. in the ivies some schools have policies to make it easier to get into the schools than others do and then they have much better financial aid packages to boot.. if a kid is smart enough to get into an Ivy school and its gonna cost him 250K more to go to one over the other its not a touch decision for many of them. There are only a few sports where the Ivy is gonna compete with top level kids against the P5 types anyway.

i didnt know I accused any of cheating but fine.. I believe I said slimy.. In any case. its not a level playing field in the Ivies as it is in much of the P5. in P5 you have the schools that are harder to get into like the stanfords and then once you get the scholie the kids pretty much get the same deals. in the ivies some schools have policies to make it easier to get into the schools than others do and then they have much better financial aid packages to boot.. if a kid is smart enough to get into an Ivy school and its gonna cost him 250K more to go to one over the other its not a touch decision for many of them. There are only a few sports where the Ivy is gonna compete with top level kids against the P5 types anyway.
the ivies' fin. aid and admissions seem to be a pretty level playing field overall. the ones where the difficulty getting a group thru is slightly higher tend to be the ones where the money given is a tad higher. and vice versa.

and i'm not easily shocked, but i'd be surprised if there's a 250k bump in any? scenario within the ivy. high end for the perfect category of income, etc., my guess is in the hundo range.

176D3F68-FE9A-42AA-8876-0D8CD92AB7D3.jpeg

Petro at the IL invitational today. Think he’s sitting with Van Arsdale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom