Petro To UNC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

This timing is craaazy did the gazillion transfers know this was going to happen? Feels like they must have? Recruiting and what have you is not necessarily a problem just yet. We did not exactly have a lot of big names in the 2023 or 24 class aside from Donny Scott. Just depends on how the younger guys who he recruited feel. If I recall correctly wasn’t dwan recruited under Desko/Rogers? Not saying it will matter but might be a factor

This timing is craaazy did the gazillion transfers know this was going to happen? Feels like they must have? Recruiting and what have you is not necessarily a problem just yet. We did not exactly have a lot of big names in the 2023 or 24 class aside from Donny Scott. Just depends on how the younger guys who he recruited feel. If I recall correctly wasn’t dwan recruited under Desko/Rogers? Not saying it will matter but might be a factor
Dwan Definitely committed before Petro joined ..but he did get Fig to flip

Wow. The timing of this is terrible. Petro has been on the recruiting trail for the Orange. Obviously he must have had a hand in bringing in a number of these defensive transfers. Can’t blame Petro for wanting to be with his kids, but couldn’t have been much of a surprise for Breschi.

Not sure who the Orange bring in. Big question is if Gait wants someone with experience or if he wants someone young and up and coming. The training wheels for Gait should be ready to come off so I bet he goes young.

Think there is a really good chance that the Orange are better on the field but long term recruitment is a big question.

Dwan Definitely committed before Petro joined ..but he did get Fig to flip
He did but Petro & Bill Dwan had already been let go at Hop. No inside info, just my honest opinion, Dwan would’ve gone to Hop to play for Petro & wants to play for him in college. He literally grew up around his defensive system & is tailor made for it. Even his HS played a version of it.

Petro has also brought in MIAA guys like ‘22 Jordan Beck & ‘23 Wyatt Hottle.

Last edited:
I liked Petro… but I’m not surprised …glad he gets to be with his boys.. I think Gait will do fine finding a replacement .. gotta a lot of talent building up on D

Wow. The timing of this is terrible. Petro has been on the recruiting trail for the Orange. Obviously he must have had a hand in bringing in a number of these defensive transfers. Can’t blame Petro for wanting to be with his kids, but couldn’t have been much of a surprise for Breschi.

Not sure who the Orange bring in. Big question is if Gait wants someone with experience or if he wants someone young and up and coming. The training wheels for Gait should be ready to come off so I bet he goes young.

Think there is a really good chance that the Orange are better on the field but long term recruitment is a big question.
It’s happening so close to when we finished getting transfer commits that you assume they must have known it was coming. At least you would hope. As for a new guy the news is coming late but not crazy late. It is still a big desirable job so I’m sure we will find someone solid. Question is if it will be a long term hire

I liked Petro… but I’m not surprised …glad he gets to be with his boys.. I think Gait will do fine finding a replacement .. gotta a lot of talent building up on D
I agree...as long as our 2 best young defenders & (very near) future leaders on D don’t follow him to UNC.

Does anyone know who is coaching D at Army?? Their defense is always one of the best in the nation every year. Is it Alberici? If not, could we pry their DC away from them, or am I crazy?
face-with-tears-of-joy_1f602.png

I’m not to worried about transfers.. as extreme says portal is closed also agree with other posters saying kids transferring in also knew so if that were tru and this hiring actually went down earlier)which I also agree with) then the kids could’ve entered the portal when it was open

Does anyone know who is coaching D at Army?? Their defense is always one of the best in the nation every year. Is it Alberici? If not, could we pry their DC away from them, or am I crazy? View attachment 229170
Alberici is a great coach and an Auburn native and I would love him in that spot but I don’t think he would move… unless you can get Kayla to recruit his daughter and be a package deal.. lmao

Alberici is a great coach and an Auburn native and I would love him in that spot but I don’t think he would move… unless you can get Kayla to recruit his daughter and be a package deal.. lmao

Kyle Georgealas I believe is the defensive coordinator at Army. I think that would be a great choice but have no idea. He’s a Cornell grad. He’s also associate head coach so you’d probably have to make a pretty compelling pitch.

Oh I know Alberici isn't making the move from HC at Army to DC at Syracuse haha. I wasn't sure if he was the one coaching the defense or one of his assistants. If it's one of his assistants, could we snag them?
thinking-face_1f914.png

I initially thought of Brodie Merrill, Spallina, Thorpe and Eddy Glazener (dark horse).
not sure people realize how much petro did for the orange...gary really relied on him for a lot of the behind the scenes program building stuff and of course he led the recruiting operation. all of that is to say, gait needs an experienced guy in there, ideally either a former head coach or a longtime assistant who has been part of a winning program. someone like a ryan wellner would work, but i doubt they can pry him from ND. i wouldn't bet on it but i also wouldn't completely count out matt dwan. he's a loyola lifer but now he's got a chance to coach family...either way they need a dwan/wellner type and not a glazener. just my two cents

i knew this was a possibility months ago but the timing is wild...no one saw this coming. cuse was caught off guard. not sure that the players even knew

Yes Dwan committed before Petro was hired.

To be clear, I certainly wasn’t campaigning for Thorpe. My post was more “could you imagine?”.
Gotcha. I could imagine after watching the women's defense struggle for years, then seeing that he was hired as HC in the NLL for the Riptide, only to go 1-12 on the season then fired after the season ended, then hearing that some of the girls he was coaching at Florida spent the night in jail last fall. Wish the guy well, but it'll be a hard no on Thorpe for me. If that did for some reason happen, I don't see it lasting very long anyway.

I’m hoping whoever is brought in has a good system in place that kids can pick up rather quickly so our defense who did improve isn’t now starting completely over in a year we really need to make some head weight. I also wonder why or if unc go after petro. His defense hasn’t been great or anything mind boggling. Besides just a headline name and great recruiter are they looking for breschi replacement in petro? Kind wish happen sooner to possibly of gone after jack rowlette who is young but think he will be a good Dc will he’s at now. Either way this is certainly gonna be a even more interesting year but hopefully also a really good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom