Class of 2018 - PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler

Quick release and a nice stroke. Rosters and websites have him listed anywhere from 6’7 to 6’9, but I’d bet he’s exactly 6’7. Not saying he’s this guy because I often hate comparisons, but he looks like a poor mans Kevin Love. Good range and deceptively quick off the ground to dunk.

Quick release and a nice stroke. Rosters and websites have him listed anywhere from 6’7 to 6’9, but I’d bet he’s exactly 6’7. Not saying he’s this guy because I often hate comparisons, but he looks like a HOMELESS mans Kevin Love. Good range and deceptively quick off the ground to dunk.

Fixed that a bit.

While nobody is predicting Ty will stay, it seems the odds have increased from near 0% to maybe 25% based on some posts and links on the BB forum.

If Ty were to come back, then, I think that could impact recruiting Golden. Our backcourt would be overloaded. Ty and/or Hughes could conceivably play at SF. If Golden wasn't coming here originally because of Baz, if Ty come back, I would see the situation no better for him in terms of getting minutes next season.

So, if Ty comes back, clearly four of our starters are Chuk, Ty, Frank, and Oshae. The fifth starter would be one of Carey, Marek, or Hughes.

In order get all of that talent a reasonable amount of minutes, some minutes for Ty or Hughes would have to spill over to the front court. And all of that is not even mentioning Buddy.

I did not watch a lot of golden videos. he looked solid in the ones that i saw. I would like to see him as part of our program, but as a frosh I simply would not seeing him earning rotational minutes if you add Ty to the mix.

So my bottom line is that if Golden is looking for freshman minutes, then if Ty returns, I would not see him coming to the Cuse.
Marek is going to get a ton of minutes and needs to for us to reach our potential.

Marek is going to get a ton of minutes and needs to for us to reach our potential.
I don't know if he 'needs' to, but we certainly 'need' the Marek we saw over the last month of the season. He will have to be stronger and more able to absorb contact. He needs to really improve his handle when attempting to drive. I think his jumper will be fine, but if he extends it out to 3pt range, fantastic. Most of all, I hope he's more aggressive, especially it attacking the basket.

I think it's weird that some people complain that we don't have depth and don't take advantage of our full allotment of scholarships, and when we have a situation which will create depth or a logjam at a position people say we shouldn't pursue someone.

I'm inclined to say that if we have room for Golden or QG we should take them.

Last edited:
I don't know if he 'needs' to, but we certainly 'need' the Marek we saw over the last month of the season. He will have to be stronger and more able to absorb contact. He needs to really improve his handle when attempting to drive. I think his jumper will be fine, but if he extends it out to 3pt range, fantastic. Most of all, I hope he's more aggressive, especially it attacking the basket.
I think improving handle and playing thru contact applies to the whole team (the handle part at least). As long as he brings back his feel for the game with natural improvement and development - it is going to be hard to get him off the floor.

I think it's weird that some many people complain that we don't have depth and don't take advantage of our full allotment of scholarships, and then we have a situation which will create depth or a logjam at a position people say we shouldn't pursue someone.

I'm inclined to say that if we have room for Golden or QG we should take them.

A lot of folks just like to complain about everything all of the time. Complain when guys leave early and become 1st rd picks, Complain about guys that aren't the 1 and done types and would turn into 4 year program guys. It's actually pretty funny. Then there are the folks who overrate every single recruit that commits to us and starts comparing them to guys that have played in NBA All-Star games despite being ranked outside of the top 100 in their high school class. At least on the b-ball side there is a recent history of guys overachieving, on the football side folks think that every 2* rb or wr we get is an under the radar stud. Then they hate them by the time they are sophomores because they turn into what they always were.

Marek best be putting on 20 and working on stepping into his 18 footer this summer

I wouldn't mind if the ball on his jumpers or free throws ever went more than 3 inches above the rim during its flight. But who am I to say, I'll never hit a jumper in an ACC game.

Markes issue was consistency.. Its a flat shot thats fine, only shoot when you are open is not a bad thing.. Coach mentioned that the further he went out the more his shot broke down.. By year end he was making 15-17 ft shots, if he makes those he is dangerous if he just gets a little better and stronger to go by people and finish.

A lot of folks just like to complain about everything all of the time. Complain when guys leave early and become 1st rd picks, Complain about guys that aren't the 1 and done types and would turn into 4 year program guys. It's actually pretty funny. Then there are the folks who overrate every single recruit that commits to us and starts comparing them to guys that have played in NBA All-Star games despite being ranked outside of the top 100 in their high school class. At least on the b-ball side there is a recent history of guys overachieving, on the football side folks think that every 2* rb or wr we get is an under the radar stud. Then they hate them by the time they are sophomores because they turn into what they always were.

I think you're right. I'm inclined to think we need to focus on the 75-250 ranked guys (give or take) with a five star guy sprinkled in from time to time that's not a prima donna... that's the formula for long term success. One and dones are ok if the rest of your team are 3 and 4 star program guys. It's a delicate balance for sure, and one that's gotten harder with the one and done rule and the changes in today's game. I don't envy the staff's position sometimes.

I think you're right. I'm inclined to think we need to focus on the 75-250 ranked guys (give or take) with a five star guy sprinkled in from time to time that's not a prima donna... that's the formula for long term success. One and dones are ok if the rest of your team are 3 and 4 star program guys. It's a delicate balance for sure, and one that's gotten harder with the one and done rule and the changes in today's game. I don't envy the staff's position sometimes.

I agree with you conceptually, but I think 75 to 250 as a group is too low. I think our sweet spot should be the 50 to 100 ranked guys. We should also be able to add some kids ranked 25 to 50 fairly regularly as we did with Ty and Carey. The 5 star top 25 types will be the exceptions.

Last edited:
We’ve historically succeeded recruiting in the 10 to 150 range and i dont think we should change that unless a 1-10 grows keen on syracuse at an early age

I agree with you conceptually, but I think 75 to 250 as a group is too low. I think our sweet spot should be the 50 to 100 ranked guys. We should also be able to add some kids ranked 25 to 50 fairly regularly as we did with Ty and Carey. The 5 star top 25 types will be the exceptions.
I get where you're coming from. I think the hard part is that JB and staff do such a good job scouting that the 50-100 guys that we're recruiting end up being top 30 guys and we sometimes lose them. Maybe the 75-150 guys??? Again, it's not an easy balance.

I get where you're coming from. I think the hard part is that JB and staff do such a good job scouting that the 50-100 guys that we're recruiting end up being top 30 guys and we sometimes lose them. Maybe the 75-150 guys??? Again, it's not an easy balance.

My opinion only, but I think the # our recruits are ranked is somewhat irrelevant. The issue isn't that we're aiming too high -- the issue is that we recruit an athletic profile that is attractive to the NBA. A guy like Lydon was rated in the 70s when we recruited him, but had the right athletic attributes that the NBA covets.

But I certainly do agree that we need to build better quality program depth, and then sprinkle that with a dose of higher rated players.

Do we know any timeframe on his decision? Not sure of NCAA rules and the last date to commit. Thx for any info

The recent guys who come to mind that blew up were Carter-Williams, Waiters, and Green. We got two of them and perhaps we will get the third after a detour. I don't think we should be afraid of losing guys in planning our recruiting. A big key is to get ahead of the curve in recruiting guys we want who are good fits for our program and to build that trust level with them. I think if we do that, that the vast majority would be loyal and stay with us even if they blow up. And in the Green scenerio, I do not blame the kid, I blame the staff for letting it go too long. There was a point after which we did not get a commitment that we should have gone to a Plan B. Just can't put all the eggs in one basket and let it run to the end. Gotta draw a line & go elsewhere if necessary.

My opinion only, but I think the # our recruits are ranked is somewhat irrelevant. The issue isn't that we're aiming too high -- the issue is that we recruit an athletic profile that is attractive to the NBA. A guy like Lydon was rated in the 70s when we recruited him, but had the right athletic attributes that the NBA covets.

But I certainly do agree that we need to build better quality program depth, and then sprinkle that with a dose of higher rated players.
I agree with you that rankings don't always mean everything. I also agree that the athletic profile wings we typically recruit are attractive at the next level. It's certainly complicated. I'm inclined to aim a little lower unless it's a really unique 5 star kid that isn't enamored with only blue bloods, high character, etc. But who knows...

Do we know any timeframe on his decision? Not sure of NCAA rules and the last date to commit. Thx for any info
I would guess based on TT (undergrad) and AWIII (grad) that the last day would be the day before school starts. Or whatever the last day to get someone enrolled in school and classes. Obviously not the most ideal situation.

Markes issue was consistency.. Its a flat shot thats fine, only shoot when you are open is not a bad thing.. Coach mentioned that the further he went out the more his shot broke down.. By year end he was making 15-17 ft shots, if he makes those he is dangerous if he just gets a little better and stronger to go by people and finish.
His shot is Josh Pace category weird. He does not shoot a jump shot. He shoots a line drive one handed flip shot with his feet glued to the floor. It works and he gets it off quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom