Class of 2020 - PF Isaiah Jackson (MI/SpireAcademyOH) to Kentucky | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 PF Isaiah Jackson (MI/SpireAcademyOH) to Kentucky

4 commits already for UK definitely helps SUs chances. No question about that. That’s why Bama was in the picture. Head coach and Pt

Unfortunately UK has a bunch of spots open on their roster next year.

Unfortunately UK has a bunch of spots open on their roster next year.

I’m not sure where you see a “bunch of spots open”. They are also still in the mix for 10 kids for 2020 who have UK on their final list. Yes Uk loses a few always to the nba but that’s not certain considering injuries happen and lack of playing time doesn’t open up the door to nba.

Since Kentucky has 4 Commits already and now Zero scholarships left, it would help Syracuse’s cause if Isaiah decide to commit early (in the next few months instead of waiting for the spring). I realize that we do not know his schedule to announce his commitment. However, if there is still interest on his and Kentucky’s part, the longer the decision is delayed, the more the favor will lean to Kentucky and their creative structuring of their scholarships. That said, Syracuse still has to be creative with their scholarships to find an open one for Isaiah. As a side, UCONN was creative to get Akok Akok as a Walk-on recruit during his “HS senior year”.

I’m not sure where you see a “bunch of spots open”. They are also still in the mix for 10 kids for 2020 who have UK on their final list. Yes Uk loses a few always to the nba but that’s not certain considering injuries happen and lack of playing time doesn’t open up the door to nba.
If IJ wants to go to UK and they want him they will find a way to manage their scholarships.

I just feel the kid will come here because he will see the PT available here and chance to be the dominant big guy here.
He may want the support he can get from UK but they can get him on their roster number wise.

Last edited:
Since Kentucky has 4 Commits already and now Zero scholarships left, it would help Syracuse’s cause if Isaiah decide to commit early (in the next few months instead of waiting for the spring). I realize that we do not know his schedule to announce his commitment. However, if there is still interest on his and Kentucky’s part, the longer the decision is delayed, the more the favor will lean to Kentucky and their creative structuring of their scholarships. That said, Syracuse still has to be creative with their scholarships to find an open one for Isaiah. As a side, UCONN was creative to get Akok Akok as a Walk-on recruit during his “HS senior year”.
I am led to understand that Syracuse has 1 commit and zero other scholarships available.

Same here. Cal is arguably the best closer in the business (money talks, after all) and head to head battles with him don't usually end in our favor. Regardless, I will remain optimistic.
Agreed. But UK already landed a top 25 PF in the 2020 class plus whoever may be coming back next season (Montgomery, Richards?). So hopefully Isaiah sees the writing on the wall with playing time. Much more immediate playing time available here.

Agreed. But UK already landed a top 25 PF in the 2020 class plus whoever may be coming back next season (Montgomery, Richards?). So hopefully Isaiah sees the writing on the wall with playing time. Much more immediate playing time available here.

Look both Cuse and Kentucky will make room for him if he wants to go there. As you said, more playing time available at Cuse but I really think this kid and his family are into the fit and comfort level more than most. Hopefully, the impression our staff, team and whole university made will drive his decision to the good guys. Would be a an absolutely massive get for us.

Cuse!

We should work to get him back on campus for Orange Madness or the UVA opener.

True - UK is out of scholarships to offer (as is SU). But they will likely have three declaring for the draft, and they have only three players that would be traditionally considered a 4 or 5. Lots of open playing time at UK. His only concern is do they want someone else more.

Clearly cuse would make the room for him no matter what. At UK, who knows. At least their fan board (which I realize is different than their staff mentality) is acting like he is basically a project by their standards. Top 25 is the lower end of who they typically bring in so they may not be as willing to make room for somebody like that. They'd make room for a Top 10 guy, but maybe not for a Top 25 guy.

There is the other effect we have seen of people going to UK - it is sort of boom or bust for the kids. If you are, say the #20 recruit in the class - you are virtually assured of massive playing time and exposure at most any Power 5 school - leading to easy 1st round one and done status as long as you perform. But at UK, the #20 guy might have trouble getting on the floor enough to get there. UK also doesn't have any special track record of developing guys that I know of. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but all we really know is they can take a Top 5 player and get them drafted in the lottery. Utah State could do that. We know Syracuse has a lengthy track record of getting much lower rated guys drafted in the first round.

All that said, if you are not a Top 10 type talent, going to UK is a big risk. And the relative rewards for that risk are virtually negligible compared with going to any other elite level P5 school.

Would he play PF or C here?
judging from his comments, his dad really understands jb's system. he probably knows that showcasing isaiah's potential as a rim protecting, small ball 5 would really enhance his appeal to the modern nba. anchoring the syracuse zone, he would almost certainly end up national top ten in blocks and/or block percentage. and if he can catch, he'll get plenty of offensive opportunity as the pick man in jb's beloved high screen sets.

it's a nearly perfect match of player & system.

He also noted that Kentucky kids are the most successful pros. All the good things said about us are just one side of the picture. Time will tell.
The kids (that went to UK) that are successful in the pros were so talented before even going to UK that all UK was was a holding place for a year til they could go to the NBA.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom