Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no inside info., but I could see this coming down to SU versus Iowa, maybe Kansas?
IOWA
puke GIF

oh crap...I live here. People are really nice...

At this point, the staff needs to be doing everything possible to get a commitment from Estrella. He'd be a star here. It's within our grasp. We need to finish. I'll do my part by being a weirdo grown man sending Estrella a message on instagram telling him that Cuse fans would idolize him and he'd be an immediate fan-favorite.

I also live in Iowa. Was talking to Iowa's new Director of Player development last week. He seemed to think they had a good shot at JP. He even eluded to Duke not really being in play for him.
My wife works at the U. I should maybe take a visit also this week draped in Orange.

I also live in Iowa. Was talking to Iowa's new Director of Player development last week. He seemed to think they had a good shot at JP. He even eluded to Duke not really being in play for him.
That is interesting that a Syracuse fan with 1 message on our message board would be living in Iowa and just happen to be talking to him last week about a guy that both schools were recruiting. I wonder how he feels about Syracuse having the last visit? I have no idea where this kid is going to go. But I like going last.

That is interesting that a Syracuse fan with 1 message on our message board would be living in Iowa and just happen to be talking to him last week about a guy that both schools were recruiting. I wonder how he feels about Syracuse having the last visit? I have no idea where this kid is going to go. But I like going last.
Agree it is interesting timing. I’ve been on this site for the past few years. Created an account today to share info based on the Iowa comments from GoCuse14 and conversations I had with the guy about iowas recruits. It wasn’t a random conversation as I play ball and talk with him pretty much every weekend.

Agree it is interesting timing. I’ve been on this site for the past few years. Created an account today to share info based on the Iowa comments from GoCuse14 and conversations I had with the guy about iowas recruits. It wasn’t a random conversation as I play ball and talk with him pretty much every weekend.
For some reason earlier on in the recruitment , I thought Iowa was our biggest competition for JP. Then, Duke poked its head in The recruiting.

I’d imagine that his recruitment comes down to us and Iowa. That’s just what it seems like right now. Things can change (lol like we don’t know), but a Syracuse vs. Iowa recruiting battle is what I think it’ll come down to.

Welcome aboard. Fran's doing a good job recruiting but hopefully this is one where geography pays off. Can't be real easy to get to Iowa from Maine. At least his family could drive to the Cuse.

IMO, this comes down to SU, Iowa and Tennessee. Iowa obviously does great jobs with developing big men (Garza) and former target Mulvey is there. But SU is closer and offered first (maybe the staff can point to Jesse as developing big men well). UT seems like a wild card, I think JP loved the visit there and Barnes does well recruiting, but again, far away from JP's home base. We'll see.

Welcome aboard. Fran's doing a good job recruiting but hopefully this is one where geography pays off. Can't be real easy to get to Iowa from Maine. At least his family could drive to the Cuse.
I was at Siena when Fran was the head coach. Players all liked him. He did a really good job, took the Iowa job for a lot more money, and has done a good job there. Our biggest obstacle is that Estrella knows if he goes to Iowa, Fran will be his coach. He doesn't know that JB will be his coach if he comes here, at least not for his entire college career.

Your geography point is on the money. Syracuse is drivable for his family. Iowa isn't.

The young core should be a positive for a guy like Estrella. He'll absolutely get very good minutes his first year. Guys who aren't as good might be spooked. It can be a positive because it gives him a great friend core who will be there for years -- 6 guys only 1 year above him. Hopefully he clicks with them on his visit next week -- which I'm sure he will, because it seems like a really solid and friendly group.

Last edited:
As reported by cuseallday, analysists are bumping Cuse to the front of the line: 247 lists Cuse as the only school with "warm" level of interest; on3 gave Cuse a slight lead. (link: Syracuse Basketball: Chances with 4-star Joseph Estrella looking better)

As reported by SI, he said: "I'm really looking to see how the players and coaches react," Estrella said. "How the players interact with each other and see the all-around culture of the program." (link: JP Estrella Cancels Duke Visit, Has Two Critical Officials Upcoming)

I can't help but feel very positive. He keeps talking about culture, and there's no way he doesn't love the culture at Cuse. I think the 6 freshmen will play a huge role in reeling him in next week. Coaches have to be ready to close. Estrella is perfect for the program next year. Could log minutes at the 4 and 5. Would really stretch the defense.

Thanks for sharing my piece!!! Just as an FYI, and please keep this here, but I reached out to a national recruiting analyst about JP, and he said that the SU staff is feeling cautiously confident at this point.
“Keep this here” he posts on a public message board…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom