Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome aboard. Fran's doing a good job recruiting but hopefully this is one where geography pays off. Can't be real easy to get to Iowa from Maine. At least his family could drive to the Cuse.
McCaffrey is also in on Cooper Flagg from Maine.

Totally agree. I think that's why the analyst I talked to said "cautiously" ... Iowa concerns me.

Welcome aboard. Fran's doing a good job recruiting but hopefully this is one where geography pays off. Can't be real easy to get to Iowa from Maine. At least his family could drive to the Cuse.
Not a fan of Fran or the Iowa Mens bball program.

Iowa will definitely be a factor as the IA offense delivers results if you are the featured guy. Kris Murray will have a very big year this year as well imo. Fran builds a great team culture as well so JP will definitely enjoy that aspect of his visit on the IA side. I know some IA fans get down on Fran because he hasn't had a big tournament run but having lived here my whole life but fell in love w/Cuse during the Big Monday heydays of Pearl/Sherm/DC etc I have obviously followed IA basketball very closely and have multiple players on the current IA roster from my AAU program. What IA fans can't seem to grasp is it's IOWA and it's really hard to compete for national championships here.

Hope JP picks Cuse

Iowa will definitely be a factor as the IA offense delivers results if you are the featured guy. Kris Murray will have a very big year this year as well imo. Fran builds a great team culture as well so JP will definitely enjoy that aspect of his visit on the IA side. I know some IA fans get down on Fran because he hasn't had a big tournament run but having lived here my whole life but fell in love w/Cuse during the Big Monday heydays of Pearl/Sherm/DC etc I have obviously followed IA basketball very closely and have multiple players on the current IA roster from my AAU program. What IA fans can't seem to grasp is it's IOWA and it's really hard to compete for national championships here.

Hope JP picks Cuse
I have no idea what Iowa is like day-to-day, but my brief excursions to Council Bluffs from Syracuse left me with a favorable impression of the state (at least the I-80 corridor) as a whole.

I have no idea what Iowa is like day-to-day, but my brief excursions to Council Bluffs from Syracuse left me with a favorable impression of the state (at least the I-80 corridor) as a whole.
Honestly, some of my NY friends question why I never moved back after college….I really do like Iowa, from the perspective of an adult. As a college student in a smaller town than IC….it could have been better for sure.

Hope JP picks Cuse
Culture only gets you so far, with the talent Iowa gets at center they are always a huge letdown in March. It's astounishing how many quick outs Fran has had

Culture only gets you so far, with the talent Iowa gets at center they are always a huge letdown in March. It's astounishing how many quick outs Fran has had
While that is accurate culture x getting big versatile players into the NBA in what will be 3 consecutive years as Kris Murray will be next speaks volumes especially with Cuse recent track record of NBA players. Again I am a huge Cuse guy so hope we get him but don’t write off the allure of Iowa’s system

Hope JP picks Cuse

While that is accurate culture x getting big versatile players into the NBA in what will be 3 consecutive years as Kris Murray will be next speaks volumes especially with Cuse recent track record of NBA players. Again I am a huge Cuse guy so hope we get him but don’t write off the allure of Iowa’s system
They’ve gotten lucky lately with under the radar recruits that developed into big time players.

G
As reported by cuseallday, analysists are bumping Cuse to the front of the line: 247 lists Cuse as the only school with "warm" level of interest; on3 gave Cuse a slight lead. (link: Syracuse Basketball: Chances with 4-star Joseph Estrella looking better)

As reported by SI, he said: "I'm really looking to see how the players and coaches react," Estrella said. "How the players interact with each other and see the all-around culture of the program." (link: JP Estrella Cancels Duke Visit, Has Two Critical Officials Upcoming)

I can't help but feel very positive. He keeps talking about culture, and there's no way he doesn't love the culture at Cuse. I think the 6 freshmen will play a huge role in reeling him in next week. Coaches have to be ready to close. Estrella is perfect for the program next year. Could log minutes at the 4 and 5. Would really stretch the defense.
Have him over to the house. Let Julie close him.

They’ve gotten lucky lately with under the radar recruits that developed into big time players.
Absolutely. The Murray brothers had one D1 scholarship (Western Illinois) coming out of high school. After a year at prep school they were viewed as ‘legacy’ scholarships at Iowa.

I think Syracuse only has to say one thing:

Nobody wanted Buddy out of high school and we got him a guaranteed NBA contract.

If anything else is needed:

Cole Swider was a bench warmer at Nova and we got him a guaranteed NBA contract.

Last edited:
So is everyone else in the country
Yeah true. McCaffrey was first though before Flagg’s freshman season according to an article I read last winter.

It’s kind of surprising that the drive from my town here in Iowa (about an hour and 15 minutes west of Iowa City), to my hometown in NY (Jamestown area) is only about 11.5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom